Toyota transfer case rebuild, how much ???

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 23:13
ThreadID: 5833 Views:11258 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone got idea on cost to get transfer case in HZJ75 rebuilt by Toyota.

BIG $$$ ???

Do I need to win Tattslotto first ???.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 14:11

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 14:11
Its like the scale on temperature... to get the answer, you first need to know what it will cost to have it done with a Repco kit(celcius), then double it and add $32 to get the Toyota price (Farrenheit)
It amazes me that Toyota charge so much for the bearing kits that they only rebox from Koyo bearings you can buy at other bearing dealers without the Toyota Box for half...oops 1/3 the price.
Good example was a friends gearbox overhaul. $700 for the bearings Toyota said. (the synchros were warrantable on the series 1 80 series cruiser) $280 the bearing company said (same brand bearings) after complaining, Toyota took $200 off the price of their bearings reducing the kit to $500, and said they couldnt warrent the work if the $280 bearings were used....he paid the 500 for piece of mind.
Repco sell the kit, the corner garage can fit it in a day. theres not much to it if you have the tools and knowhow
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 24321

Follow Up By: michael - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 16:23

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 16:23
Dozer, Oh! what an extra $220 feelup! Just to test you, would you know if it's a similar deal with Nissan GQ TD42 gearbox/transfer parts?
Cheers DRC
FollowupID: 16368

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:37

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:37
Hi Michael
The bits that are bearings are made by bearing companies either to Nissans specs (must buy from Nissan) or a standard sized bearing. Nissan make the car, where as the Nissan bearing in a Nissan box is actually repackaged when they receive it from Koyo or NTN etc. It even has the brand on it, but a Nissan box and price. I would ring Repco and ask if they sell kits for the GQ, chances are they do now it hs been out of production for a while.
I bought two sets of 80 series swivel hub bearings (NTN) from the bearing place i usually go to, for the price of one set from Toyota, then gave the second set away as a favour to a friend.
The best instance of repackaging i can think of is pool chemicals like MSA11, which is 20ppm Potassium Manganese, or something like that.
It comes as 1 litre of fluid and is 20 odd dollars.
1kg of the stuff at the nearest plant nursary is $2, and that will make 50 litres of MSA11 if you add 50 litres of water (1 cent worth)
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 16370

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:39

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:39
Sorry Phil, got off the track there a bit
When i last did a 60 transfer,(same as yours) Repco slugged me 200 odd dollars for the complete kit. All i did then was pull appart and change bearings, shimming the output shaft brg to suit (it was almost reuse the shims in there already)
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 24337

Reply By: Phil - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 19:29

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 19:29
Thanks fellas

Just wondering what these thieves would charge, was talking to spare parts
guy in there about bits, he's ok. I went around behind counter and looked
at parts etc on his computer, Rear transfer output bearing, (dirty ol taper roller)
$89.00. Toyota can sit on that, preload it and rotate. I'll get a kit from CBC
and do it.
AnswerID: 24343

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:25

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:25
Phil,

Make sure you check the spline on the main shaft while you have the transfer case apart. If its worn at all, it could let go at an embarrasing moment. Some bloke sells a cog that compensates for this wear, then you don't have to buy a new main shaft. $700 when I bought last one, GSTexempt.

Bearing Service sell different kits too, so they might be worth a try. Think T/case kit was much cheaper than the g'box one, and simpler to repair.

Good luck, hooroo...

AnswerID: 24350

Reply By: Member - Topcat - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:35

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:35
Hi Phil, I agree with the other comments on prices, but if you need to do a rebuild make sure you check the 5th gear shaft spline for wear because if thyere is any movement outside the specifications, all the work gone into doing a rebearing job could go out the window later down the track because if the vehicle has been subjected to a lot of 5th. gear loading (e.g. towing caravan/trailer ect) the toyota boxes have been renouned for 5th. gear failure due to the shaft spline failing. Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 24353

Reply By: Phil R - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:54

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:54
I'll take special note of spline, I've owned it since about 40,000 and never loaded it up much, but anyway I'll have a close look at it.

Thanks

AnswerID: 24355

Reply By: Phil R - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 12:43

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 12:43
Just a follow up to cap this one off.

I dissmantled the transfer case and found the rear bearing on the rear output shaft
to be the source of the transfer noise. The front bearing on the rear shaft wasn't
too bad but starting to head the same way, I replaced both these bearings.
other bearings, gears and gear box output shaft spline were all in very good condition, the only noticable wear on anything was the rear output shaft where
the hub sleeve sits, the wear wasn't exessive but I plan to replace this at a later date anyway. Anyone tackling this job shouldn't have any real problems, you'll need minimum of about 8 hrs and you'll need access to a press for removing and fitting bearings to the rear output shaft etc.

The only noise now is tyre noise. But I can live with that....
AnswerID: 24767

Sponsored Links