I waAnt to make a home made awning ????

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 17:43
ThreadID: 58341 Views:2857 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at making my own awning and wondering if anyone has a photo of how the commercial manufacturers connect their poles to the main aluminium C channel, any photos would be great. I have a couple of extendable poles that I want to use for the horizontal sides but as they would overlap when closed I was wondering how they keep the depth reasonable.
Thanks Walter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 20:48

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 20:48
Want to make a home made awning ....well just go ahead and do it ...don't ask us how to do it for you !!! Cheap skates are prolific on this site ...and all of them want someone else to do their work for them !!! Now why dont you hiss off and go crew someone else ..
AnswerID: 307587

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 21:04

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 21:04
Jeez Steve

Who rattled your chain today. You abused someone on another thread and now ya starting here. At the very least become a member . Better still shut ya mouth till ya calm down a bit.
FollowupID: 573440

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 21:29

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 21:29
Well said Peter,
Steve didnt you get taught that if you have nothing nice(or constructive in this case) then dont say anything at all.
Cheers
Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 573445

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:11

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:11
Ghee Steve,

I hope I'm not broken down on the side of a track and you come by I would be there for another few days.
The idea of the forum is so we can help each other. People like you we don't need on here.
Sorry I can't help you Walter but I'm sure someone will post a useful thread for you.
FollowupID: 573463

Follow Up By: Member - JASON (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:43

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:43
STEVE IF YOU HAVE NOTHING CONSTUCTIVE TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL !
FollowupID: 573475

Follow Up By: tukka - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:50

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:50
What an idiot. Thats the kind of attitude you would expect from a 3 year old.
FollowupID: 573523

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:24

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:24
Walter...have a look at mine....(profile)....have two now, one each side...simple and cheap....used 40 mm pvc waste pipe, 2 lengths of 3 metres and those silver tarps with the chrome D rings sewn into them fixed to pipe with HD cable ties...12x14 ft......the waste pipe allow you to roll it out and back up even in high winds by yourself.
AnswerID: 307627

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 11:08

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 11:08
G'day Phillip
Nice set up Troopy there..
Could you give a few more details on the awning??
I assume it's attached to roof rack??

FollowupID: 573525

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:36

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:36
Yes, it is attached to the roof rack....4 occy straps secure it when it is wound up.....drilled two holes big enough to take cable ties to secure D rings to waste pipe....secure the ends first then work towards the middle...the thing to watch for is the tarp cut size and the finshed size are two different things, the latter being smaller.....they are the better quality tarp, they have the chrome D rings and the rope sewn into the bead for extra strength, but are still cheap for what you get....had them a few years now.
FollowupID: 573632

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 04:50

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 04:50
A $25 tarp from Woolies or one of those big supermarket chain.

A piece if pipe, or a roof carry basket ( with extensions )

Some "ocky" straps

3 tent poles

3 tent stays, ( adjustable )

Mix together

Voila !

Shade

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 307655

Reply By: jammin - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:43

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:43
Hey Steve, there is plenty of room on Yahoo for non constructive people like you. The whole idea of a "forum" is to share the knowledge of many so we can all learn and enjoy what others may have discovered. Not everyone can just purchase and book in to have a reatil made one fitted.
All those ideas posted are helpful, might have a crack myself.
Yes I am a money poor person who likes to do it myself if I can
Cheers
AnswerID: 307687

Reply By: Rossco td105 - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 11:49

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 11:49
Hey there apriti00,

Have of the ideas used on my vehicle have been inspired by other people who went there before me. This and other sites are a fantastic place for people to SHARE information.

Steve, I'm sorry you feel that way. What do you use the internet for?

Hope this helps, supplied by a gentleman on the LCOOL site (Paul Klatt).

http://www.lcool.org/technical/sunshade/sun_shade.html

Good luck,

Ross.
AnswerID: 307697

Follow Up By: Rossco td105 - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 11:51

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 11:51
Oops... HALF of the ideas...
FollowupID: 573527

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:54
Apriti00, I will try to outline what I have done. I'd send photos but the ultra heavy roof rack is an essential part of the set up and I wont be putting it back up until just before going up to the Centre in September.
If this outline sounds like what you want, let me know and I'll follow up with a full description, either here or through email as it's a bit lengthy, although not difficult to make. Mine attaches to a full length roof rack. The annexe is longer than usual and when rolledgoes from the very back of the vehicle to about 3 feet beyond the windscreen. One person can (just) roll it up on their own but it is better for two. I have designed it so the side furthest from the vehicle has a drop side so that it can become the wall of a tent, or an extended shade. Also have found that on roof rack designs, if its wet, rain tends to pour/blow off the vehicle roof and life under the awning is pretty miserable. So have designed it so it seals off the gap between the roofrack and the vehicle. It uses two adjustable length poles and fastens to the roofrack with Ubolts. The tarp is attached to timber poles (thar are ubolted to the roofrack)by sandwiching the fabric between two pieces of timber aqnd screwing them together. Same thing at the side furthes away from the vehicle, however I attach the timber about 3 feet inside the outer edge to allow for the drop down shade extension/tent side. A drop down side option combined with a flat roof gives far more shade than just a flat roof on an awning.
Allpoles roll inside the awning when it goes away and easily give it enough rigidity to deal with the extended length.
I cost well under $200 all up.
AnswerID: 307769

Reply By: apriti00 - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 22:41

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 22:41
Thank you all for your replies, you have given me food for thought and now I will need to sit down and try to work out which option or combination will best suit my needs.
It is thanks to groups of people like yourselves that make these forums such a success, my idea was not to be cheap or penny pinch but to take advantage of the great wealth of information that is available from such a fantastic group of people.
Once again thank you all
Walter
AnswerID: 307809

Sponsored Links