POI's for your Nuvi GPS

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 09:00
ThreadID: 58363 Views:17081 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have just been playing around with POI’s (points of interest) for my Garmin Nuvi. There are heaps of them available free from “GPS Data Team” on the net.
These POI’s are available for other GPS’s as well as Garmin Nuvi
As well as the POI you can download an icon in BMP format, which shows up on the screen. I have loaded heaps and heaps to my Nuvi 660 and works great.
They are listed in groups, these being :
Road Safety, Shopping, Restaurants, Accommodation, WiFi Hotspots, Petrol, Tourist Locations, Transportation, Automotive, Postcodes, Recreation, Money, Computers, Education and Trade.
To load these POI’s on to your Nuvi, firstly you need to download the free “POI Loader” program from Garmin. Then make a new folder (i.e. “POI’s” in “My Documents” it can be called anything as it is only the contents that are loaded to the Nuvi.
Then start making your selections, for example :-
Select “Shopping” then select “Bunnings Warehouse” then select “Download”
Select “Garmin POI BMP” and save to your new folder i.e. “POI’s”
Then go back and select “XML-GPX Exchange Format” and also save to your new folder. You should now have two files in the folder:
Bunnings_Warehouse.bmp ….. This is the Bunnings icon symbol
Bunnings_Warehouse.gpx ….. This is the list of all the Bunnings Stores and . their locations.

To add more, just keep on adding more files to the folder i.e.
Mc Donald’s from “Restaurants’, Shell Service Stations from “Petrol”, Westpac Banks from “Money” etc etc
When you have all the POI’s you want, plug the Nuvi into computer, the Nuvi will turn on, then start the “Garmin POI Loader” program on the computer, select your Nuvi under “Device” . Then select the folder and location that you stored all the POI’s in, in the above example it was “POI’s”.
Then select “Meters and KPH” for distance and speed units, and “Express” for the mode.
Then select “Next” and the computer will load all the POI’s to your Nuvi.
I suggest you back up the hard drive in the Nuvi to your computer, BEFORE you do anything, just incase anything goes wrong ! Also if you need more room on the hard drive, delete all the foreign voices etc you will never use, as Doug has suggested on previous posts.

Garmin POI Loader is available from :http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

POI’s available from :http://www.gps-data-team.info/poi/australia/

Regards
Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 09:39

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 09:39
Neil
Mc Donald’s is already in the Mapsource POI's under Food.
Check my site too,you might find some info for Nuvi's

GPS website

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 307680

Follow Up By: Member - res.q.guy (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:55

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:55
Hi Doug
I do have Mapsource, but never really looked deeply at it, I have only used it to upload Shonky and T4A (still waiting for the new modified Oztroppo). Might have to have a good look at all the Mapsource features.
I didn't think Mapsource was shipped with any Garmin Nuvi's ?
I got my copy packaged with my Garmin 60CX purchase.
I have used your site a lot, great site, I learnt heaps from it. Great work.
Regards
Neil
FollowupID: 573604

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:59

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:59
Neil
I buy my Mapsource, the last one I got with a unit was V5 with the Quest with a V6 free update, for V7 and 8 I bought , and now awaiting V9 later this year.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 573608

Reply By: paro - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 17:23

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 17:23
Thanks Neil. Your instructions helped immensely although, my 660 required that I use CSV extensions rather than BMP. Anyway, after months of trying I'm grateful to you for the advice.
Regards,
Paul
AnswerID: 307746

Follow Up By: Member - res.q.guy (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 20:05
Hi Paul
The BMP file is only the little icon or picture that appears on the screen for the location (ie the golden arches for Mc Donalds, the star for Caltex petrol etc). You don't have to have the .bmp icon if you don't want to.
My Nuvi 660 works fine with the new POI's when I loaded the .gpx file for the location list and the.bmp file for the icon or symbol. It's strange that your 660 is different.
Regards
Neil
FollowupID: 573611

Sponsored Links