Buying Telstra SatPhone.. What a Saga

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 17:52
ThreadID: 58375 Views:2900 Replies:7 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
I ordered a Motorola 9505A satphone for the Iridium network thru my local Telstra shop here in Mandurah in WA.
Two and a half weeks later, no it hasn't arrived yet. So one was couriered from a T shop south of Perth, just over an hours drive away.
Three days later I walked into the shop presuming it has arrived despite no phone call. I asked the staff member to see if it is out the back. She comes out 5 mins later and asks if I had been called to say it has arrived. I said please don't tell me it hasn't arrived. With a massive twirl of the skirts and an authentic Head Prefect look I get: I asked you if you had received a phone call !!

Out the back she goes again and comes back with the phone. Beauty I think. Let's pay and get out of here.

Now on the Telstra website it says the phone is $1995. Another staff member comes to help and between these two strumpets I'm told that it will cost $3700, outright purchase.

Well, hold me down because I'm getting up a head of steam.

The ensuing conversation proved to me that "Telstra" is Australian for "arrogance". I wasn't paying that sort of money so I did some phoning around. Other Telstra shops that were privately owned and therefore have a vested interest in running their business properly, from Subiaco to Broken Hill, confirmed the price is $1995.

Some friends in business who had a dedicated Telstra consultant rang them and they confirmed that they sell them week in and week out for $1995.

I rang the Telstra satellite people who said the handset was $2995 for an outright purchase.

Unbelievable !! Telstra's own website says $1995 but the company owned shop and their Call Centre staff all had their own ideas of what it should cost.

This afternoon, a grovelling phone call from the Mandurah Telstra Shop manager: we found the right code and it is $1995.

Well I went right in there before somebody else came up with another price.

In store, no apologies from the rude staff.

So, avoid the Telstra shop in Mandurah.

I normally don't think too much about why these things happen but, as the store is staffed exclusively by women, I'm forced to conclude that their individual "womens troubles" all occurred on the same day and critical mass was reached. Much like the Ghostbusters crossing their beams. And I and many others walked into this maelstrom, totally unsuspecting anything out of the ordinary.

Anyway, that's my theory.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rock Ape - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:06

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:06
Don't grovel just get even and that's just what you have done.

Send this out to as many as you can cause the level of service in many businesses is becoming increasingly poor.

AnswerID: 307761

Follow Up By: Geoff M (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:39

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:39
Hey Rock Ape, if "Don't grovel just get even " is your defination of getting even, then it's no wonder Telstra gets away with the (non)service they give.

Telstra get away with their brand of service because people like you and Gone Bush let them ...... and they will continue to do so until the Australian public get some balls and stop doing business with them.

Enough of my rant ............
Geoff
FollowupID: 573578

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:12

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:12
What do you suggest then your toughness
FollowupID: 573588

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:59

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:59
Well come on Jeff tell us the way to get the big balls. I am interested.

FollowupID: 573607

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:17
There's a couple of big chrome ones in Rundle Mall in Adelaide...perhaps they are the ones he is refering to??

Cheers......Borgy
FollowupID: 573625

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 16:34

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 16:34
Geoff M,

I don't think I let Telstra "get away with it" as you stated. I didn't pay the silly price they came up with and it was quite obvious to me when I went to pick up the phone (for $1995) that they had been chastised.

I only found one other retailer of Iridium sat phones who would sell them outright without a plan and their handset IMEI numbers did not allow a Next G simcard to work in them.

I did not want a contract and I wanted to use my Next G simcard in the phone. I did not want the risk of buying overseas for this particular item.

You tell me who else I should have taken my business, and my balls, to. Please.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573735

Follow Up By: Austravel - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:11

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:11
Hi Gone Bush,

Can you give me a bit more info on the IMEI numbers and using a Next G sim card.

I've got an iridium on contract that ends soon. When I put my NG sim card with international roaming enabled in and try and ring I get told I can only make emergency phone calls.

Telestra won't help, say they can't help as they don't recommend doing this, of course not they want you on a plan.
FollowupID: 574648

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:28

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:28
Hullo Austravel,

You seem to know what an IMEI number is, but just in case, all mobile phones have an IMEI number (CDMA phones had an ESN, Electronic Serial Number) which is the handpiece's unique identification number. It is transmitted every time you make a call or even when your phone registers with the network.

My suspicions are that if you buy a phone thru a supplier other than Telstra, say Pivotel, the IMEI numbers are all registered to work with ONLY the SIMcard provided by that supplier. Much like trying to put a Telstra SIM into an OPTUS phone. I've been out of the mobile phone business for a little while now and I've forgotten a lot of the intricacies.

I bought my satphone from Telstra to avoid that possibility. I hope you're not going to tell me that you bought from Telstra as well because that will blow my theory out of the water.

If you bought it from another supplier, or from overseas, that may be the issue. I'll stand corrected but....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574653

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:51

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:51
Austravel,

another thought:

have you tried other SIMcards? Borrow a friend's and see what happens.

When Next G came in some people just transferred their old GSM cards, whereas Next G needed a newer card to perform to the networks' capabilities.

If another Next G card works get your friendly Telstra shop to activate a fresh one for you.

You never know, the issue might actually be with your card.

It can get tricky.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574659

Follow Up By: Austravel - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:43

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:43
Gone Bush,

Thanks for that info, I didn't know anything about the IMEI numbers so that helps. I brought through an approved telstra retailer but not a telstra shop. Sounds like that might be the problem, is there any way around this? Can I simply go back to the retailer and get it changed or, or, or??

I tried a mates SIM but I don't think it had roaming enabled. His didn't work at all mine simply gives a message that only emergency calls can be made. I've not tried but I hope they mean 000 and not 911,

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 574779

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 19:56

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 19:56
Austravel,

was the shop approved by Telstra to sell satphones?

I believe that not all licensed Telstra outlets are approved to sell satphones. If it is a privately owned shop that sells Telstra mobiles, but not satphones, they might have got them from an alternative supplier.

Was your contract with Telstra, not an intermediary company?

Is it easy to talk to the original retailer to see if they can shed some light?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574872

Follow Up By: Austravel - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:22

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:22
Gone Bush,

I'll need to confirm some of your questions as I don't know. You've given me some good info to base my questions on so thanks. I'll ring the original retailer to see what they can tell me.

Will let you know what I find.

Thanks
FollowupID: 574884

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:42

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:42
by the way, I'm almost 100% sure that 911 works in Australia as an emergency number, just like 000.

Any numerology freaks looked at 911, the US emergency number, and 9/11, when the Twin Towers went down?

My head is full of trivia like that.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574893

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:08

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:08
Jeez Gone Bush - sounds like you were lucky to get out alive!!! Hopefully you didn't look them in the eyes - I've heard of blokes being turned to stone by those sorts!!

And I'm not trying to rub salt into the wounds - but - my sat phone is working well after a couple of months - it was an ebay pick-up - but I was very lucky regarding the price!

All the best,

Tim
AnswerID: 307762

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:08

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:08
U probably could have got one from USA with alll the travel bits and all for about $1300 off EBAY
AnswerID: 307763

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 18:45
Interesting that you got yours for $1995. The Darling Range Brigade which is the Bushfire Brigades dedicated communications brigade recently got a Sat Ph via a Govt grant and I'm sure that the article in our local rag said the phone was worth in excess of $3000. I thought this was very odd at the time as I was sure that the phones had been advertised at around the $2000 mark.

With regard to Telstra's staff service I've found them hopeless, ignorant, and have limited knowledge of the products they sell. Unfortunately we don't have much option at times who we have to deal with.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 307767

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:07

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:07
Might it be the case that Telstra often "bundle" the phone with a service contract that gives you some network connection to Irridium ? That might account for the disparity in prices.
In any case the people in the shop, whatever gender, had no right to treat you as they did. Very bad for business. I would have no hesitation in complaining loudly to both the owner and Telstra.
I know that most people don't like to make a fuss...I was like that most of my life...but as I get older I find that sometimes it can work wonders.
AnswerID: 307771

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 20:38

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 20:38
She sounds a bit like this one :))

Product of the times ?
FollowupID: 573619

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:22

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:22
She sure is one dumb chick Footy.....lol
FollowupID: 573627

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:25

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:25
Telstra shop staff ? :)
FollowupID: 573628

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:28

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:28
Reckon she might be ...

Cheers......Borgy
FollowupID: 573630

Follow Up By: disco driver - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:54

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:54
Nah.

Definitely not Telstra staff............................ Too Bright.

Disco.
FollowupID: 573634

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 07:41

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 07:41
Hay Gone Bush.

You are not alone son. I should think nearly every Australian would have a similar story.
I would love to tell my satellite story but can not do it in public.

Oh....... I think it was "done cross the streams"

All is good now, you have your phone so nothing could go wrong now!

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 307835

Reply By: GneissD - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:56

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:56
Satellite Appliance Sales in Balcatta know their stuff and would be able to help out with all the questions on handset prices and contracts. From memory they sell all the satellite networks so should be able to give you some choices.
AnswerID: 309020

Sponsored Links