economical way to drive with gu

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 19:52
ThreadID: 58381 Views:1668 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
can you tell me which is the most economicl way to tow a boat weighing app 1500 kg with an auto gu 3.0 td patrol ? in overdrive with power on power off , no overdrive , speed thanks for your help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grungle - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 20:52

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 20:52
Fit an EGT gauge, and drive so that you TRY (keyword) and maintain a constant temp during acceleration and cruising speed.

After a while you will get a feel for it.

Essentially EGT is a direct representation of fuel and boost which are related to each other. When I drive, if you see the EGT rise quicker than normal it is usually because you are speeding up or accelerating harder to go up a hill (could be because you are trying to maintain speed or going faster).

You would be suprised to see that an extra 10mm in accelerator compression can result in an extra 50°C in EGT and hence higher consumption of fuel.

Think of EGT as a sort of Stoich Gauge (air / fuel ratio) however the difference is that economy are represented as a temp. This temp can vary depending on how you try to acheive a speed (hard or conservatively hence the Stoich comparisson). Its a little hard to describe but once you have an EGT fitted, you learn pretty quicky.

Clear as mud?

Regards
David
AnswerID: 307788

Reply By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:18

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 21:18
use someone elses car or a company car :)
AnswerID: 307790

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 17:58

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 17:58
Hi Chippy4

Does the name indicate you are a carpenter.

I towed our 2 tonne van behind our 97 auto petrol/gas Cruiser last Nov and found that if I had it in overdrive I used a lot more fuel and was continually loosing speed.

The Holiday consisted of 6000 K's from Kempsey NSW out to Broken Hill then down to the Flinders, then to Whyalla, on to Harndorf and back along the Murray. All went very well.

I took John Rooths advise (Caravan and Motorhome also 4WD Action) and stayed in 3rd gear or top in the box that is a 1:1 ratio and found it much better both on the vehicle and me as I was not worrying about fuel consumption or loss of power.

Regards,
Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 307924

Sponsored Links