Exmouth in July

Hi All, heading to Exmouth in the van in about 4 weeks time , any tips hints etc would be much appreciated, ie good fishing spots, must see's etc, got friends coming from the UK so it all helps, also anyone know a good place for the dog to stay while we explore ? (jack russel)
many thanks,
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bap - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 18:13

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 18:13
Hi Dave,
lucky you!! You should drive down to Yardie Creek and if you have a 4wd, and if the creek isn't flowing through, you should cross and keep driving down the coast, there are lots of beautiful bays to look at and plenty of good fishing spots off the beach, just make sure you check out where you can and can't fish. If you have a dinghy, go for a cruise up Yardie Creek, there is some awesome scenery and wildlife. Also, if you have a dinghy, take a cruise out to the reef. Try some snorkelling, it is world class! And even just "puttering" over the reefs on a clear day is magic.
If you are in a 4wd and like history, you can drive to the old whaling station. It is pretty run down now, but interesting still.
You can also drive down to Coral Bay, and go out on one of the glass bottom boats, never done it myself but have heard it is great.

Michelle
AnswerID: 307930

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 21:29

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 21:29
Dave....I was supposed to be there at the same time.....forgot to book...ouch....SWMBO fair let me have it so we are off to 80 mile beach instead for july....However , fishing spots....for shorebased fishing...first get yourself a tide chart and get there 3 hours before high tide if you can...second get yourself a throw net cause you will need to catch some LIVE hardie heads for bait....third hook the live bait through the lip or back and no sinker cast her in.. as you see the fish go on a feeding frenzy ( the bait fish leap out of the water)...fourth get ready for action....the spots to go TRISEL, JACOBZ,HUNTERS...best WEST side and BUNDEGI east side...go to tourist office for a map and to the sports shop for a tide chart.....GOOD LUCK
P.S. hook size 5/0 suicide or snapper...and some 30 lb leader will do. AND the throw net MUST be 3/4 NOT 1 inch...otherwise they try to get out and you lose too many
AnswerID: 308001

Reply By: disco driver - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 23:40

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 23:40
Dave,
There is a Kennel in Exmouth. No first hand experience but have heard good reports.

Do NOT consider taking the JR into the National Park.

As others have said, ask at the tackle shop, the visitor centre in town and the Park Visitor Centre for where and what about fishing.

Disco.
AnswerID: 308028

Reply By: oz doc - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 23:52

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 23:52
Hi Dave - if you intend staying at one of the listed caravan parks I sure hope you are booked in. We have stayed at the Ningaloo- no shade but terrific pool, and the Lighthouse. Be careful if you camp at Lighthouse - lock up your camp when you are away- they have resident emus which ransack all the camps as soon as your back is turned! There is a boarding kennel listed for Exmouth. Once again- would recommend you call in advance and book.Cheers.
AnswerID: 308030

Reply By: Member - Mark - Exmouth WA - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:32

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:32
Dave,
I am from Exmouth, if you are looking at a Caravan Park to stay at the Lighthouse would be the best, at the moment with Winter here the winds are from the East/South East in the morning and the smell of sewage floats through the two parks in town, it was shocking this morning when I went for a walk.

The Lighthouse gives you easy access to the best fishing grounds and for sight seeing. If you need to know more PM me, I have access to the Pier Beach which is good for fishing especially at night.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 308109

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 18:15

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 18:15
Big thanks for that if theres any more please feel free to keep replying,
thanks again,
Dave
AnswerID: 308174

Sponsored Links