Which tyres

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 16:01
ThreadID: 5842 Views:2138 Replies:13 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We were going to replace our tyres after our trip i do not want Bridgestones again as we have only got 42000 kms out of the standard ones, mind you in saying that we only blew one tyre in our 10000km trip 4000 of which was done on dirt roads and the one we blew was on the Wittenoom to Roebourne road which is a very hard iron stone road. The three choices that i am looking at are: BFG Allterrain,Cooper ST or the new GoodyearTrinnium A/T any advice would be appreciated, i was also advised to go up a size in tyre has anybody else done this and will it put my speedo out.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ray - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 17:51

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 17:51
Martin,
some people say it has not thrown their speedo out ,but I have put Cooper STs on my GU and the speedo is out by 6kmh at 100kmh.Done 20000 on the Coopers and they still look as good as new.
"nil bastardo carborundum" Ray
AnswerID: 24330

Reply By: nugget - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:19

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:19
Martyn,
I,ve got BFG A/T on my GQ Patrol and I certainly will not be using them again. They chip very easily even though 95% of my off roading is on sand being from W.A. If they last more than 40000km it will be a miracle. I thought mine were bad until I saw a set on a Landrover Discovery series 11 the other day. They looked like they had been chewed on by a White Pointer. Huge chunks of tread missing deep cuts and shredded very badly. I look foward to the day they require replacement.
AnswerID: 24334

Reply By: Johnad - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:20

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:20
BFG all terrains - only way to go!!
AnswerID: 24335

Follow Up By: Donald - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:20

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:20
Johnad,
I agree,
Recently I towed in reverse up a very steep & slippery hill with the Nissan GU 2.8TD (close to 40 deg at times) an embarrased series 100 Toyota Cruiser (auto) which was slipping & sliding all over the place and could not climb over a purpose built water culvet across the road (Dua National Park) it was raining and at night. You could say that we were mad being there but that's another story.
The Nissan has BFG A/T's fitted and the Toyota had Desert Duellers a/t fitted. I have nothing for praise for the BFG's in this type of use and they have done 20,000 Km and should get another 20,000 easy.
However when we went to Birdsville in 2001 (same set of tyres) they hucked rocks and anything else loose up in the air, gritblasted the underside of the trailer & the front tyres sprayed rocks back along the sides & gave the plastic wheel arch moulds a hiding.
It does open a can of worms and I would choose the BFH A/T for the potential greasy roads but with loose stones & roads ary dry!!! I think there is merit in looking a a highway style of tyre or something that is not as chunky on the outer shoulders. I don'twant to dint our new Caravan.
Cheers
Donald
FollowupID: 16375

Reply By: Member - Rick - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:41

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:41
hiya martin.....like you, we only got 40k out of the stock patrol tyres.after a lot of looking around we went for a set of Toyo A/T Open Countrytyres in the 275/70/16's. these are only about 12mm higher, so you can still fit under a standard carport. We gavr them the full workout, from mud to rock to sand, as well as high speed dirt and have found them to be a very good allrounder.
hope this helps.

rick
AnswerID: 24338

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 19:41

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 19:41
Martin,
I'm a BFG person, I've used mine on and off road, sand, mud and rocks, they look OK, I've done nearly 50k and they have a heap more to go. When I went to the "The Gathering" at Mount Augustus out of the 40 tyres that had problems not one was a BFG, the lowest on the scorecard was the Pirelli Scorpion, Dunlop was also near the bottom, Coopers where near the top but there wasn't many fourby's with them at that time, Goodyears where middle of the pack but they weren't the Trinniums you mention. Tyres are always going to be a "bag of worms" topic, a lot of the fourby mags do surveys on tyres and there are lots of threads in this forum about them, this a real Tojo versus Nissan subject.
If you are going up in tyre size the strain on the engine will increase, bigger diameter needs more power, speedo accuracy is going to change . Fixing the speedo is a lot cheaper than fixing the engine. Good luck with your choice Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 24346

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 19:55

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 19:55
Hi Martin, Like Rick’s experience aobve, I too have dropped the BFG’s and put on a set of Toyo Open Country A/Ts . They ride exceptionally well and have a 10ply rating! I’ve had them on my Troopy for about 25k and they don’t even look like wearing.

Worth a look
Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 24347

Reply By: Donald - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:27

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:27
Martin,
Please see my reply to Johnad re tyres & my own experiences.
Cheers
Donald
AnswerID: 24351

Reply By: Member - Tim Nivo - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:54

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 20:54
Martin. Why is it that when some people don't like a particular "model" of tyre, they take revenge on the "brand". If you applied the same logic to 4wds, and got bogged in a rav4, does that mean you would never buy a landcruiser? Sure the original equiptment bridgestone 693s are not much chop, but thats predominantly because they are jap made passenger rated tyres. The 265/75/16 light truck bridgestone 693s as fitted to nissan utes are a damn good tyre. The aussie made tyres of the same brand are even better. Last year did the canning/buchanan highway/diamantina lakes etc and no punctures. Looks like they will do at least 80000km. Sure they are no hard core mudder, but they are a great all-rounder. If I had a nissan or toyota wagon I would seriously consider "going up a size" and putting these on.
p.s. I'm not a tyre salesman, I'm a farmer who spends a fair part of my working life fixing tyres. I HATE fixing tyres on holidays! Regards. Tim
AnswerID: 24356

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 21:34

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 21:34
Read all this stuff: and u would nearly believe that the tyres were the problem !
AnswerID: 24357

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 21:54

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 21:54
my choice would be the cooper.
also dont discount the h/t if your not doing heaps of off road.
gave mine a big work out today i was surprised how well they went.new job coming so no fraser this time:-((
AnswerID: 24362

Reply By: JohnH - Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 18:00

Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 18:00
Personally, I think that most of our tyre wear problems stem from the driver. I have seen many different drivers in vehicles fitted with the same tyre, driving over the same type of terrain and yet some drivers will wreck their tyre where the others won't. It's the same for motorbikes. If you read the terrain and drive accordingly you will have good tyre wear. Driving over harsh or rocky ground at speed will have an adverse effect on any tyre. Driving tha same way in sand will not. At the end of the day I think if you rally make an effort to develope your ground appreciation skills you find that you will start to have really good results with the way your tyres wear. But..... some tyre are just crap and should be avoided.
AnswerID: 24410

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 20:43

Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 20:43
What size are you talking about?????
AnswerID: 24423

Reply By: Stephen - Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 20:55

Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 20:55
I reckon u should think of a new set of tyres BEFORE your next trip !! old worn out skins are not what you should be driving on in the bush !!! IMHO.... But that's only my opinion !!! I'm sure the trucksters out there think otherwise ...
AnswerID: 24425

Follow Up By: Member - Martin- Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 16:19

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 16:19
Stephen we were going to replace them before the trip,went to a couple of different tyre places and they all said that we would probably get anothet 20000 kms out of them and would be mad to replace them untill after the trip. They are still legal other wise they would have been replaced, no point in wasting money to hard to get these days as it is.I am a believer in having good tread on any of my vehicles i run a transport business and would not have one of my trucks running illegal tyres the fact that we blew one had nothing to do with how much tread it had on it, i have had brand new tyres let go on my trucks a few times on dirt roads, it is just the luck of the draw.
FollowupID: 16504

Sponsored Links