Fog Light fines

Submitted: Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:11
ThreadID: 58437 Views:3266 Replies:7 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Thank goodness, at least in Victoria if you use your fog lights when there is no fog you will get stung for $118. Not before time....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:18

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:18
The problem being..what constitutes a fog light??
Some cars have those mega-brite rear red 'fog' lights, and they seem to stay on all the time?? Pain in the butt when following on the highway.

AnswerID: 308069

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:42

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:42
I agree, at night its tiring and I think its thoughtless and more about boasting that you've got the up-market version.
I wonder how many people have run off the road at night due to being tired by oncoming traffic . And the closer the vehicle gets the worse the FOG light glare gets.....as for the rear FOG lights, spare me please....
FollowupID: 573889

Follow Up By: DCTriton - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:43

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:43
I'm pretty sure the law only addresses forward lighting (not inclusive of standard headlights) and at that, the bloody cops are driving around with the things on - I'm yet to hear of anyone actually being booked for it...
FollowupID: 573890

Follow Up By: smifffy - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:45

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:45
trust me, it is heavily enforced & people get booked in nsw on the central coast for it!!!!
FollowupID: 573891

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 14:28

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 14:28
Yes it isenforced in most states but its all about the police that pulls you up at the time.

Seen them drive past an offender many times and not bat an eyelid yet my Father in law was book last year!

The foglight defination is in ADRs and in state road traffic act and it includes the rear red foglights. Hyundai Excels got booked all the time for running around with the extra light on in the bumper.

I just wish it was enforced more...very distracting from the rear and dazzling from the front!

The offenders wouldnt like my spotties on them so why is it different? Neither light is diffused like a low beam light hence low beam should be the only light on unless in fog!

Matt.

FollowupID: 573946

Reply By: smifffy - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:43

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:43
boys, in nsw these are the laws, both illegal use of front & rear fog lights will cause you to loose 2 demerit points of your licence and fines are $79 each of your hard earned johnny cash!

The front fog light must -
a) show white or yellow light,
b) be a low-beam light,
c) be capable of being switched-on and “OFF” independently of any headlights,
d) be fitted so that the light from it does not reflect off the vehicle into the driver’s eyes, and
e) only be used in inclement weather.
217 Using rear fog lights
(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with a rear fog light must not
operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or other
hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.
Offence provision.
(2) In this rule:
rear fog light means a light fitted to a vehicle to make it more
easily visible from the rear in fog.
(3) Also, a driver driving during the day in fog, or other hazardous
weather conditions causing reduced visibility, may drive
without the headlights of the driver’s vehicle operating if the
vehicle is fitted with front fog lights and those lights are
operating effectively and are clearly visible.
hope it helps,
they give me the poo's when there used & dont need to be!
cheers,
AnswerID: 308080

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:49

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:49
Thanks for that smiffy, but I think the problem relates to JACK! as in I'm alright....cheers
FollowupID: 573893

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 13:12

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 13:12
Its a pity in this cash strapped state of disrepair, sorry, NSW the police are too dumb or lazy, probably both, to notice those front fog lights on and make a quick buck for our floundering state!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 573933

Follow Up By: smifffy - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 15:18

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 15:18
michael,

quote "NSW the police are too dumb or lazy, probably both"

your one of these people that ring the firies when you have an armed robbery ha?

.......we leave it to the police to fix the problem in the same way we expect teachers to fix the problem of bad parenting.....

well said dave!

good work mate!
FollowupID: 573954

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 16:55

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 16:55
Smifffy,
"c) be capable of being switched-"ON" and “OFF” independently of any headlights " I would like to know how they can set the rules if they have no bloody idea of how most cars are wired up.My commodore (gone now) VX S pack with the fog lights in the lower bar which were extremely bright and blinding to other drivers, nearly like having high beam on, were not able to be turned on UNLESS at least the parkers were switched on. These were factory fitted lights, Totally aggree with how bright some of these lights are. I use to use them on the open roads as I found they lighted up the side of the road brilliantly which is what a fog light is meant to do BUT if anyone coming towards me I would turn off straight away along with the high beam, technically though I was still opened to copping a fine as it was not foggy conditions. Commodore ones seem to be the worst. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 573969

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 22:28

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 22:28
What you say is correct Smiffy. But thats their job!! I needed the police only once in my life a few years ago and they did the wrong thing so i dont have a lot of faith in them. They let me down big time. I ended up with 5 police vehicles there, half were as dumb as dog crap and the other half didnt really care. Some were way overweight and not fit, lucky they have radios and vehicles because they couldnt run a 100 metres.. It seemed to me they really were not there for a career, just a job.. Thats my experience only. They do plenty of good work also, so it not all bad news.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 574086

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:45

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:45
It's funny how most of the ones that drive with their 'wanker lights' on at night, never seem to have use them on foggy mornings!

As for the high intensity rear lights, the same fine applies.
AnswerID: 308081

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:50

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:50
or light up at dusk because they can see the potholes....der
FollowupID: 573895

Reply By: DIO - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:24

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:24
Like so many issues relating to road safety, vehicle roadworthiness, vehicle modifications, road rules etc, why do so many people not bother to check their facts before entering into a discussion, make negative comments or for that matter any comments on the subject. Gee it's not all that difficult to research and find the specific information. For example, on the subject of rear FOG LIGHTS......

Why not check Vic Roads Vehicle Standards Information (Lamps & Lighting Link ), Complemented by Australian Design Rules A.D.R. link, Page 9 left hand column, 5th item down.

ALso and if still unclear, have a look at page 55 Vic Road, Rules and Responsibilities Vic Roads link (it's a PDF) it is quite specific and states...."You must not operate rear fog lights unless driving in fog or hazardous weather conditions".

If still in doubt or uncertain, the RACV web site also has some very clear/concise information on the subject RACV link
AnswerID: 308095

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:32

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:32
So many people complain about the NANNY STATE but we have all this legislation because the people do not think, or care, maybe both.......we leave it to the police to fix the problem in the same way we expect teachers to fix the problem of bad parenting.....
FollowupID: 573903

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:34

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:34
This matter went through the sprockets on this forum recently, & then, as now, stiired the anger of most respondents. Then & now
I took the opposite view. I've never been blinded by low set
foglights or ever had a flash in response to mine being on. Yes I was reminded of the law by a young cop as he breath tested me.
I said I use them to make my grey car more visible to other road
users, & if he wanted to give me a ticket I would defend it in Court. You would win says young cop, & I dont need the
paperwork. I, along with about 50% of those using the Hume
continue to use them, without incident. Now if you want to have a moan about those who dont dip high beam or the twits that hit you with a row of roof mounted spotties you have my full support........oldbaz.
AnswerID: 308098

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:40

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:40
I am the first one to light up in dull light but in pitch black conditions on an undivided road headlights on low beam with oncoming traffic has never been a problem. I simply believe more is not necessarily better at ALL times....
FollowupID: 573905

Follow Up By: DCTriton - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:53

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:53
Well Oldbaz, having done a fair amount of truck driving along the Hume, I can say that glare from low mounted fog lights is about the single most annoying thing on that road (aside from people who do 80 on single lane and 110 on double lane)...

BTW, you wouldn't win in court, the law is there for a reason and by using the lights in clear conditions, you are breaking it....
FollowupID: 573906

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:07

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:07
OldBaz,

Mate, if you want to be seen during the day because you've bought the only colour car that blends perfectly with the grey sky, then use your Parker Lights, not your fog lights.

People don't need to be blinded by 2 x 50W lights as opposed to 2 x 21W parker lights.
FollowupID: 573908

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:39

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:39
They aren't low on 4WDs!
FollowupID: 573913

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:47

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:47
Well. I'm copping some flack But I can handle it. When I asked my truck driving mate who only drives the Hume about problems with lights, he says there is only one..cars on high beam? No...truckies
on pills... What about cars with lights on in daytime...should be
compulsory he says. What about glare?..What glare? I sit 2 metres
above them, no glare unless badly adjusted, besides they are on the other side of a divided road anyway. So , opinions do differ.
As to the most annoying people being the ones doing 110 on a
double lane...thats too tough for my old brain to fathom, I'll have
to let it pass.
Now ben, if you say that parking lights are all that is neccessary
in daylight that must be right, but doesnt explain why nobody
uses them, or is it that you cant see them anyway. Blinded by
50w foglights in daylight?. Give me a break....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 573915

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:05

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:05
"Blinded by 50w foglights in daylight?. Give me a break....oldbaz. "

And fog lights are illegal for use during daylight and in non-foggy conditions because.......?????? Or maybe because they look too cool.

There's a reason why they are illegal, possibly so it doesn't dazzle/flash/bind oncoming drivers when you go over speed humps, ditches etc.

I can see other peoples parking lights (also called Daytime Running Lights in other countires) fine. It's the fog lights that pi$$es me right off.
FollowupID: 573920

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:25

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:25
Righto, ben, you win.......your argument re speed bumps & ditches was so convincing that I have rushed out & smashed those damn foglights with a hammer. So I shall dazzle the motoring
public no more......I feel better already..:))....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 573925

Follow Up By: DCTriton - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 13:44

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 13:44
"As to the most annoying people being the ones doing 110 on a
double lane...thats too tough for my old brain to fathom, I'll have
to let it pass."

You missed the bit about doing 80 in the single lane - referring to drivers in 100/110 zones doing 80 on single lane then when it opens up to double lane and you have the chance to pass, the buggers speed up to 110... Then the single lane comes back and they slow to 80 again...

I don't know about other drivers but being 2 meters in the air seems to exacerbate the problem, those lights actually reflect extremely well of the road surface - is a common complaint with the guy's I drive with...
FollowupID: 573938

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 14:33

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 14:33
AS usual the old addage of "buggar you lot ..Im above tha law and I will do what I like"

Quite the reason our society is the way it is with the total disrepect for one another hey!!

FollowupID: 573948

Follow Up By: madfisher - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 20:47

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 20:47
Concerning the people who do 80 on single lanes than speed up on bouble lanes. This is extremely fustrating for trucks operating with a speed limiter. These twits hold you for ages you then get to the double lane and start to overtake and bingo they accerate away and these twits would be the first ones to complain about a truck tail gating them.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 574036

Reply By: Pnut (cns) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 16:20

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 16:20
To be honest, they don't really bother me during the day.
I mean, when you see cars with them on during the bright daylight coming the other way, what are you most likely wearing on your face when you are driving? Sunglasses - to reduce glare!!! And if you're not, then bright sunny days don't bother you, so what's the BIG deal? Too trivial to get worked up over.

That being said, it is interesting to note that SS's & XR6's have foglights that seem brighter than other brands.

Interesting that the law states to use only in adverse weather. Wouldn't using them in the wet create more of a problem of road reflection than if used in the dry?

It's more of a problem up here with cars that have 1 headlight aimed too high.
I've just had new suspension fitted to my d/cab, and with the ensuing increase in ride height, will now check the dipped headlight beam for glare.

cheers
AnswerID: 308153

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 16:33

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 16:33
Unfortunately they are being used as Yuppy Lights. I don't think I have ever seen a real 4WD using them inappropriately but the hoon mobiles seem to use them religiously, it's like turn on all the appliances, I need to be seen.!

Yeah good call...
AnswerID: 308159

Sponsored Links