We would like to caretake a station in the Kimberlies in the wet

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:15
ThreadID: 58469 Views:3027 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Does anyone know of anyone who may be interested in a caretaker how to find out? Maybe their is some directory or other?

We are a couple , 47 and 52 with a 3 year old, long term travellers/web designers. We would like to experience the Kimberlies in the wet season and thought someone may be looking for a break in their downtime.

We are normally self sufficient bush campers with an OKA and tents, but figure that is not a good idea in the wet, and don't really want to head south yet.

We have housesat quite a few times and spent the month of Feb looking after a farm at Narrogin in the south, with 3 alpacas, 450 sheep, 11 cattle, 1 dog.

We don't have a lot of experience but my partner has worked on farms before, he is quite practical and a good bush mechanic. I have an affinity for animals though more often of the domestic kind.

I don't know if an outback station is too ambitious but we thought maybe in the wet not so much would be happening, we are keen to look after whatever needs to be done with instruction.

I usually use housesitting websites but they don't get many entries outside the metropolitan areas.

We would like to hear about other options, like working for accommodation, prefer just a few hours a day as we need to keep our business going as well.

So if anyone knows how to find a caretake/station/farmsit position please let me know.

Thanks Cate
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 12:06

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 12:06
Hi Grey-Gypsies,

Have a look in:

http://www.workaboutaustralia.com.au/bwWebsite/vacancies.asp?handler=bwWebsite.Vacancy&action=results&VacancyID=0&return=%2FbwWebsite%2Fvacancies%2Easp

Cheers,
Glen
AnswerID: 308322

Follow Up By: grey_gypsies - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 13:18

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 13:18
Thanks that is what I was looking for, I will keep an eye on it.
FollowupID: 574176

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 12:10

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 12:10
Cate

Farm sitters site link

The above site may help. I have never used it but found it one other day and may be interested in doing same for the cost of full fuel tanks.

Alan
AnswerID: 308323

Follow Up By: grey_gypsies - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 13:21

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 13:21
Thanks, I did contact them before and they said we didn't have enough experience because we were not retired farmers. Maybe that will have changed now that we have done a farmsit. I will try them.
FollowupID: 574177

Reply By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:09

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:09
Napier Downs were advertising for caretaker and cook earlier this year or maybe late 2007. Suspect they wanted permanent though. Don't know their current situation or 'wet' arrangements

CHris
AnswerID: 308361

Follow Up By: grey_gypsies - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:23

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:23
i cant seem to find them on the web or yellow pages,, any ideas on how to contact them?
FollowupID: 574372

Follow Up By: grey_gypsies - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 00:51

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 00:51
sorry found it
FollowupID: 574385

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:20

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:20
Try Anne or Jo at Drysdale River Station - she 'networks' with other pastoralists up there and would know where to start your enquiries probably.
AnswerID: 308365

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 17:30

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 17:30
Friends of ours go out to Cunnamula every year, and stay on a Sheep
Property, they live in there caravan, and he spends a bit of time
Pig and Roo shooting until the Shearing starts, and then they work
as Rouseabouts, get reasonable $s and as much Lamb as they want.

Cheers
Daza
FollowupID: 574212

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:08

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:08
Suggest you try farmsitters.com.au AGAIN ...and explain your expertise...sell yourself to the website owners...i find them very approachable.....ultimately the farmer / station owner will be the final judge as to wether or not you get a hearing

you dont need to be farmers...no one with half a brain is going to abandon their home and business without giving you some local backup for advice to turn to in an emergency or something that crops up left field!

we have used them twice very successfully for people to sit our farm...in fact we have just returned from 5 glorious weeks in the Kimberley thanks to our farm sitters looking after ours

last year our farm sitters were a diesel mechanic and his wife...with no farm experience..worked great

you need honest people with common sense and a brain that can think outside the square...thats what is needed...from what I read of your post you seem quiet suitable at face value

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 308402

Follow Up By: grey_gypsies - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:20

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:20
thanks for the vote of confidence,
yes I do think we have some transferrable skills, and would make sure we had backup. I will try farmsitters if something doesnt turn up soon.
FollowupID: 574371

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:29

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:29
kate

I know a fella and his missus managing a cattle station north of Derby who would like a break after the muster. However, the problem your going to find, is that many properies are now company owned, and they won't take on a caretaker without skills. Give the following a ring:

1. Kidmans
2. Consolidated Pastoral

Whilst in not in the area your talking about, Acton out of Julia Creek QLD are looking for workers at the moment.

Also try Western Grazing.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 308425

Follow Up By: grey_gypsies - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:17

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:17
Hi Kim, can you give me contact details of the people north of derby? or let them know we are interested? When is the muster?
We are happy to go earlier, I just thought that people would be taking a break over the wet. We do want to spend some time around ningaloo first but if an opportunity comes up then we will be there.

Thanks for the tips about the pastoral companies, I will follow them up. We are not looking for a full-time job... and something that suits our experience, my partner has truck driving experience, mechanical skills, at the Narrogin farm we checked water and put out feed, he had to shoot an injured sheep and fix fences and years ago I spent a month on a remote station in NT as i knew the manager. Just looking after the main house, driving 2 1/2 hours to town to buy groceries for the whole camp, trying to poddy a baby buffalo, joining a helicopter buffalo muster.
FollowupID: 574369

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 16:48

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 16:48
Sure, glad to help out. Send an e-mail to kimmc@satlink.com.au and I'll reply with contacts details of cattle stations and other organisations in the Kimberley who may be able to help you.

The muster generally runs from March through to October (depending on the season). In the lead up to the Wet, conditions are a bit on the humid side and can be quite uncomfortable for some people.

The other issue your going to face is flooding and road closures. You can't just drive into the Kimberley during the Wet. LOL

Two of the stations I have in mind are off the bitumen section along the Gibb River Rd, which will aid in access to the station track during the Wet.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 574529

Reply By: gmac - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 00:26

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 00:26
Try Pastoralist and Graziers association W.A.. They handle some of the staffing requirements for these stations.Also try Elders and Landmark Kimberley branches.

Regards
AnswerID: 308456

Sponsored Links