Coleman dual fuel lamps, John Denver and frying pans

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 19:37
ThreadID: 58484 Views:4882 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
How the hell is Harding going to link that subject line to this forum? I suspect you’re thinking :) Well… by stretching a point or two… but… what the hell – it’s Saturday evening on a long weekend and everyone (except me! :( is away! This forum, a few years ago, was a rather more friendly and relaxed place than now – somewhere along the way we lost a bit of that. An inevitable consequence of a wider readership (postership?) perhaps? I guess the internet, as a social tool, is still finding direction.

Anyway: I changed the generator (jet) in my Coleman dual fuel lamp this afternoon and it’s working like new! $13 for a new generator and the old one had about two years of hard work behind it. I reckon they’re the best form of camp lighting – far better than electric stuff (and this from an electronics engineer! :) A more mellow light, don’t need to worry about recharging batteries and I love the gentle hiss they make – a very relaxing light to read by.

After the lamp thing I started to cook Chicken Cacciatore and was aided in the task by John Denver playing his “Rocky Mountain High”; album during this time I noticed my frying pan should be thrown away (see! told you I could link it all :) and I wondered if anyone would care to recommend a replacement? Now I mean a serious frying pan (the “you get what you pay for brigade” will be proud of me). $200 or $300 is fine but I want a frying pan which will see me into the box and I don’t want to buy it from Myer or some poncy kitchen shop which bought it from China for $50 and put a $200 markup on it. Probably something off the net or a serious professional chefs supplier – Melbourne based please if it’s a shop I need to visit, oh… and it must be robust because I’ll be taking it 4WDing – see told you I could do it :)

These people are good:

http://www.everten.com.au/

bought a great set of Global knives from them a couple of years ago.

Most replies appreciated :)

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:06

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:06
Hi Mike
we have a cast iron square plate with a handle on it it is flat and it will cook two t bone steaks or 4 pce of bacon and 3 eggs easy to clean also we have a further plate which has a griddle and it also cooks the same but not eggs we got them from a camping place i done reamber who hope this helps . we are gowning to be away for 3.5 months into Queensland fro end of June 08
Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 308399

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:18

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:18
Don't you mean AND 4 pce of bacon...then what does the other person eat ... LOL
FollowupID: 574270

Reply By: TD100 - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:12

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:12
Well done Harding,you did manage to string the 3 together,as for pans i dont think you can go past the hillbilly range,made here and made well IMHO,mine and also my mates have been to hell and back,still going,stick em on the coals,in the fire,on the gas cooktop,anywhere.the only one slightly starting to buckle is the 22 odd inch sized one,but using them to cart rocks and chit with doesnt help the cause.good strong long handles on all of them. cheers Paul
AnswerID: 308405

Reply By: Member - David P (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:20

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:20
I agree, the sound of a pressure lamp is hard to beat
AnswerID: 308408

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:47

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:47
Thank God!

Someone else who loves the old Coleman.

Now! Frying pans, as a sixty plus year old who first left home at sixteen and batched, then taught a bride how to cook, I reckon I've burnt out more than my share of frying pans.

Over the years Mike, I've done them all from the domestic "cook at home" models to the "cook in the bush" ones.

I've done steel, cast iron, aluminium, non-stick and probably a few versions I never recognised.

Do youself a favour, bounce into the internet and have a look at the Analon range of heavy duty, non-stick aluminium pans. The first time you pick one of these suckers up you will do a double take with the weight and wonder that they indeed are aluminium.

You can find them on www.cookwarebrands.com.au. You might also just google Analon to get comparative prices.

I have seen these pans in David Jones and Myers retailing at about the $170 mark anf bought them of the net from $65 to $85 depending on the size.

The bride, (a somewhat tired and jaded bride), and I have given these as gifts to our younger associates and found them to be well recieved.

O.K. Now comes the disclaimer, I have no financial connnection whatsoever with Analon - However! Should Analon care to show appreciation for this unsolicited recommendation my account and BSB number are......

Ian
AnswerID: 308428

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:01

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:01
Hi Mike,

These

are the 'ducks guts'; teflon is the go and these are the good stuff. The pan doesn't bow upwards in the middle after a few uses like the cheapies, the teflon is resistant to metal utensils etc. The only problem would be the handles over a campfire (haven't tried that yet). If using the pan on a gas cooker etc it would be perfect.

We have the 'elite black' and after lots of use at home the handle is still good; doesn't wobble etc. The 'performa black' looks like the goods for a deep all-rounder. Not that expensive either. Certainly not a cheap brand and comes with a decent warranty.

I know it isn't typical camping gear but sometimes things you need can be found exactly where you are not looking :-)))

cheers,

Brian
AnswerID: 308434

Reply By: howie - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:03

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:03
i buy those that you see hanging in the aisles in supermarkets.
non-stick, nice thin base gets the heat in quickly, $9.
chuck 'em when i've finished abusing them.
AnswerID: 308444

Reply By: roblin - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 23:34

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 23:34
Use Scanpan at home and an Analon one for camping (Scanpan too expensive for this!) I used to cringe at the prices for these types of pans and simply used quality Italian stainless uncoated pans previously. These days, however, i wouldn't be without a quality teflon coated pan. DJs and Myer regularly have up to 50% off sales on these brands (that is how I bought all my pans)Besides being easier to cook with they are heaps easier to clean. We went to the Analaon one for camping mainly due to the minimal cleaning (thus less water) after use. With regards to handles, they should be fine near a fire provided they aren't lying in the coals. After all, they can be place dinto the hottest of ovens at home.
If you're into roasting in the oven at home, you can't go past the Scanpan trays for this. Very easy to use and clean afterwards (the important thing!)
AnswerID: 308677

Reply By: Mike Harding - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:11

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:11
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'm going to go for the Scanpan (a saute pan) from Everten:
Pan
and at $148 inc. postage the price is OK. Another advantage is that if I like the Scanpan products my sons can buy me other items from their range for Chrismas/birthdays. They are always complaining, with much justification, that I am very hard to buy for - frankly, these days, this side of a yacht in the Caribbean there isn't much I want :)

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 308718

Sponsored Links