A Great Site Ruined?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:37
ThreadID: 58536 Views:5417 Replies:23 FollowUps:48
This Thread has been Archived
This is difficult to write as i know the response that I will probably receive. I have been a member of this site for over 3 years and have gained fantastic information from it over that time. I am not a regular poster, but check it out regularly and post when I either have something to offer or wish to access the broad knowledge base that exists in the community.

Over recent times however I have noticed an increase in opinionated, bigoted and intolerant responses to posts to what seem to be genuine posts or opinions expressed in (mostly) articulate ways. Tolerance and empathy seem to be severely lacking.

Expressing views and opinions is fine - that is what we are here for - but as I say to my kids - It's not what you say, but how you say it.

I understand that tone is often misinterpreted in written communications where you don't have the opportunity to share body language, facial expressions or vocal emphases, however it is my view that when you write a post, these things should be considered.

I love this site and have proven this via my financial subscription over a lengthy period. I hope the trend that I perceive doesn't continue.

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:42

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:42
Well said Steve, Hear Hear. I am sure you speak for many.
Fred.
AnswerID: 308622

Reply By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:54

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:54
Steve,

This site has been around for a long time and will withstand the bigotted, biased ways of some.

It goes through the odd "meltdown" from time to time. It also suffers from some who think they are bigger than the EO community at large.

To put it bluntly, and I do not post with innuendo, I'll name the protaganist; Doug NT.

Doug had a tantrum after having a post deleted. He left. He is gone. He thinks he may bring this place down. He is wrong.

I've been here for 5 years and have seen it happen before.

This site will live on, make no mistake.

Kind Regards,

Jim.

AnswerID: 308626

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:55

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:55
Correction

Doug FNQ.

FollowupID: 574620

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:59

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:59
For goodness' sake Jim,

you've just done what Steve was commenting on.

And I probably have too by putting in this Follow Up.

Why not just let things drop.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 574623

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:04

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:04
Jim,

Pretty brave when Doug can't defend himself. But then again, you've moved up to attacking the living rather than the dead in previous incidents (Peter Brock/Steve Irwin).

Despite all that has been spoken of this incident over the past few days, you still can't get your facts right.

Put a sock in it and let sleeping dogs lie.

FollowupID: 574624

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:24

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:24
Al,

Facts?

Doug isn't here by his own choice.

What have I got wrong? Doug got moderated, had a tanty and ran away.

What has Brock got to do with this?

FollowupID: 574632

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:37

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:37
I must add.

On the Brock issue: it has been proven he was an Adulterer and a Woman Basher.

You may choose to hold that type of individual in high regard but I don't.

We have different values.

I'm proud of mine.

Jim.

FollowupID: 574634

Follow Up By: Member - Dick (Int) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:55

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:55
Jim

Brocky's gone now, let his soul rest in peace.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 574639

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:01

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:01
Dick,

The dead are entitled to the truth. Nothing more.

Their deeds may haunt them.

Brock was not a decent man.

Jim.

FollowupID: 574642

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:02

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:02
Jim, I didn't take a lot of notice of Doug's posts because unless you agreed with him he considered you wrong and would not even consider an alternative view. Unfortunatel, from several of your recent posts, I hold you in the same vein as Doug. Perhaps you would do well to have a tranty as well and leave.
You made a statement that you have been a member for over three years, does that give you any additional rights, I think not.
I have been a member for nearly 6 years, so I must have more rights than you. I think my "rights" score is zip so yours must be minus zip
Have a nice break
Des
FollowupID: 574643

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 23:14

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 23:14
sheesh guys take a little time out please
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 574666

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 07:58

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 07:58
Des,

Thanks for the feedback. When I get a spray from those I hold in low regard I respond accordingly. I do not hold you in low regard, quite the opposite. I'll take the feeedback on board.

Perhaps it is time for me to relax a little a take a lower profile.

Geoff has also chimed in, in his diplomatic way. I'm getting the message.

Thanks chaps,

Jim.

FollowupID: 574704

Reply By: neil&brenda - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:09

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:09
Dear Steve,
My partner and I have been using this site for only about 2 months to try and gain some insight and knowledge for a planned trip. We are only visitors and have appreciated the main core values that the site adheres to. Unfortunately, as with any business or workplace, you will always have clashes of opinions or clashes of character. We have noticed that some topics are used as a forum for up front arguments and others are used as social catch up (not actually answering the topic in question).
This has and continues to be a point of frustration for us, however, the advantage of the grey hairs is the ability to sort out the fact from fiction rather quickly. A skill we are having to unfortunately use on a more frequent basis on this site.
We are not going to quit. Nor should the founding members such as yourselves.
See you out the back
Neil&Brendal
AnswerID: 308629

Reply By: Member - Steve & Paula - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:12

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:12
Please understand - I was not talking about any individual response or person in my post. I know that there are exceptions to the rule and always will be. In fact sometimes these are the people who challenge our thinking.

I am more talking about a general trend. This site is outstanding - with posts from sincere and genuine members. I've just noticed a change in "tone" over time. All you have to do to see what I mean is mention generators, Landcruiser v Nissan etc to see it.

Everyone can have their view - that's fine. Expressing it as a personal attack on a poster however is not. Tolerance is what is missing from our world and in my humble opinion the same applies here.
AnswerID: 308632

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:28

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:28
Hi Steve,

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment about tolerance. It does seem to be missing from the real world and perhaps it is reflected on the postings here. Sure enough, the intolerant in the real world must make a percentage of the people in here.

I think this forum/site has many genres of users. There's travellers, 4wd travellers, rednecks, extreme 4wdrivers (those who go into comps, like driving over high rocks etc), retirees (or grey nomads), ex defence personelle, historians, campers, and those just just may want to learn a bit about this great nation. With that kind of mix there's bound to be a few conflicts.

Lets us fix society before we try and fix the problems of this forum. Though I'm allowed to have a winge occasionally. :))

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574633

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:43

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:43
G'day
Steve and Paula

I could not have said it better, I have only been a member for a very short time, but have been viewing the ExplorOz web site and mainly the forum pages, since its inception back in 1999.

There are a few very opinionated members who just seem to pay out on who ever no matter how humble their question or answer may be, and I guess that is why it is a forum and also why I took such a long time to actually join up as a member, this membership gives me the right I guess to reply to a forum view point, or simply ignore it, but I'm certainly glad to be a member.

Regards. Joe
AnswerID: 308641

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:46

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:46
Looks like the rubbish on TV in Victoria must be a national rather than state phenomenon. Lighten up guys!!
AnswerID: 308644

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:22

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:22
:o)

When there's rubbish on the tele you'll find me out in the shed...

Dave
FollowupID: 575458

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:52

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:52
I think that what you are commenting on is a sign of the way society is, as a whole, is going.
The behaviour of people here is no different than anywhere else in whatever field you care to mention, whether it's a work place, on the road, at a campsite, at a sporting venue, there is ALWAYS some bad apple that will drag the whole (insert situation here) down.
I think Trevor may have an opinion regarding this matter after a recent thread he put up went south because of mis-interpretation, and like you say, and I have said, I difficult to gauge tone with text, so what do we do?

Do we not say anything, just in case it upsets?

Do we go in with our verbal guns blazing, prepared to shoot down anyone with a differing opinion to ours?

Bit like Idiots on the UHF in any large town/city going on with dribble, what can you do?

I think, user discretion is the key, if you look at the post's that have had the most views or comments, and it will be something most controversial and most likely not have much to do with EO, when a member announced he was quitting, look at the response there!, that member many contributions made to this site, positive and negative (open to conjecture) often provoked, sometimes provocative.
Wouldn't it be a boring place if nobody said a effing thing!

Shane
AnswerID: 308645

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:08

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:08
Shane,

that's one beautiful baby.

First grandchild? Our little grandson, our first, is coming up to 12 months old in July.

Lucky little tyke looks just like me !!!

(I just thought this sort of Troll behaviour was better than the other Troll in this Thread)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574647

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:30

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:30
This is my 10 month old son,they say apple's don't fall far from the tree (yes I AM saying I'm every bit as beautiful ).

Shane
FollowupID: 574775

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:12

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:12
Hi Shane,

All sweet with the mis-interpreted thread but if you look at my next one, I really did learn from the previous and clarified that I was not "attacking" one party or another. Even at my age, I can still learn new tricks LOL!!!

I really try to only respond to a topic a) if I think I have the answer, b) if I have an opinion on the topic good or bad but will not be intolerant of others opinions or c) stirring the pot with someone I call a friend. All of which brings a smile to my face for different reasons. Love the site, gain heaps of info and wild horses couldn't drag me away from it now.

"apple's don't fall far from the tree" Yeah sure hehehe. (to others reading this bit....see reason c) in responding to a topic)

Cheers mate.
Trevor.

Steve & Paula,

I reckon if all were like me this would be a wonderful site, but because all posters are not, I think it is about as perfect as one can get :-))) diversity in responses is the key to getting the answer one requires. Often more than one way to complete a task but only one way that will suit you, so the more that offer advice the more chance you have of finding the answer best suited to you.

Keep enjoying the site, keep overlooking the responses that annoy you and keep the scorecard in favour of the good guys over the ratbags. (Must admit to never having met an EO ratbag member in real life, I have found all I have met to be wonderful people, willing in any way to help...how good is that I reckon.)

Hope to read and respond to many more of your threads for a long time to come.

Best regards,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 574881

Reply By: Big Woody - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:55

Thanks for posting my thoughts Steve.

I visit this site several times a day and have done for many years. I too have made similar observations to yours and provided this feedback to the moderators through a recent survey.

Good on you for expressing the views of many who read often but post rarely.

Regards,
BW
AnswerID: 308646

Reply By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:55

All i have to say is ...welcome to the real world...the world is not a bed of roses, it happens everywhere , on the internet , in class rooms , even in politics....as long as we have people of all different walks of life it will happen, no matter what you or i or anyone else for that matter says or does will change the way people react to each other....so all i say is get used to it and learn to put up or ignore it.....Now im gonna sit back and wait for it....lol......and for once im not going to respond to anything...

Cheers......Borgy
AnswerID: 308648

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:57

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:57
Something i forgot to mention ....I still think this is a great site
FollowupID: 574640

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:19

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:19
HEAR HEAR....Borgy's right.....stay with it Steve......I love this site and sure, they can dish it up and out....but suck it up lad and DON"T GO...we are all different and so we don't blend that well....but think like this....we all in a way need each other, warts and all, because we share a common INTEREST mate...I don't think that in a tight situation, there would not be one person on this site who would not reach out a helping hand to you if you needed it......Because that's the way we are.
FollowupID: 574649

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:24

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:24
I cant bloody help myself...wasnt gonna comment....

Spot on Phillip
FollowupID: 574650

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:58

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:58
I enjoy the forum and find it mostly informative.

However the threads that degenerate into personal messages between posters, skewed well off topic is irritating.

Please stick to the topic with help and information and perhaps theforum will be a better place.
Cheers
AnswerID: 308649

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:04

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:04
Hear hear!
FollowupID: 574721

Follow Up By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:17

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:17
It's not uncommon to wade through upwards of 50 replies and follow-ups to find maybe 5 that are relevant to the post. This means that if I open that thread every time something new was added, I have to wade through the chat (or should that be chit) 50 times to find the 5 that are relevant.

It's a bit like going in to a classroom and having people up the back making it hard to hear or just distracting. Or going to a movie and having people talking all the way through it.

I think it is inconsiderate, especially as there is a Member Message option provided. They could always use emails or the phone if only interested in chatting.
FollowupID: 574772

Reply By: Member - Steve & Paula - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:17

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:17
The thoughts expressed here are most interesting as usual. I suppose that in my usual inarticulate manner I have failed to express the purpose of my post. I don't believe that "the current situation" is something that we just have to accept. By posting I am attempting to show that I think that intolerance is unacceptable. It's like sitting and watching someone being assaulted and choosing to ignore it. I can't.
AnswerID: 308653

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:49

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:49
Steve the thing i love about this site mate , is occasionally we get on here and say things that stir the pot or whatever, but at the end of the day i reckon most of us would still go out of our way to help each other or even have a beer with each other...im probably one of the ones you are talking about in this post , cause yes i have been known to stir the pot.....But just take a look at the post i just put up a few mins ago, and thats what this site is partly about ...Still being good mates when it counts.....

Cheers...one very happy Borgy
FollowupID: 574658

Follow Up By: DCTriton - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 12:01

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 12:01
Borgy, there's stirring and then there's being bloody-minded... I was a member here and I let it lapse because I just couldn't be bothered with the bloody minded few - I chose not to sook about it (and that IS NOT a stab at the thread starter), I just withdrew my financial support and now only pop in from time to time - this used to be my home page...

You sir are a stirrer in the true sense but I wouldn't call you bloody minded, you stir in a manner which incites a bit of friendly push and shove that is clearly between 'friends' and IMO suitable for this site - as the saying goes, "all work and no play make Jack a dull boy" Get on board, have a laugh, poke a bit of fun and learn a thing or two...

*runs away to read ALL of Borgy's previous posts, just in case :p *
FollowupID: 574752

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:33

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:33
Some of the longer members and visitors to this site have read a post like this several times. The world is getting ruder!

About two years ago I wiped everything off my page and didn't visit this site for a few months. I was sick of the abuse and harassment I was receiving from one individual who is probably bored with this site and is now annoying someone else.

I work in retail, we have lost several good staff in the last year who have said first and foremost they are leaving because they are sick of rude abusive Australians.

AnswerID: 308658

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:35

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:35
Steve,

you hit the nail on the head. I generally try and ignore a lot of the rubbish that appears on the forums at times but the ever increasing amount of late has left me exasperated as well (& I mentioned it in the survey as well). I've only been a visitor for three years and a member for two but in that time have seen a few incidents that warranted censure. Of late tho, it just seems to have gone to the pack. What ever happened to focussing on what the key elements of this forum are namely, caravanning, camping and exploring this great country of ours.

There are so many people on this forum who are fantastic sources of knowledge and experience but I've watched them drop off or fade away into the background, no doubt disappointed at whats become of this place and the attitudes that are espoused here. Perhaps a few people need to get out a bit more!

My two bobs worth. Mick

Here's what it's about!

Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 308660

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:23

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:23
Mick.
A great photo.
I can't wait for July 6 to hitch up the camper & head out west again.
Cheers.
Vince
FollowupID: 574727

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:36

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:36
Mostly I just lurk around here - somtimes I ask questions or provide an answer - I usually read most of the posts every few days - the strength of this forum is in its diversity - to me it does not matter if its off topic - look at this post - nothing to do with 4WD but over 500 views - over the years I have come to "know" many of the regulars - yes some stirrers and some who take offence far too easily, but isnt that what real life is about

This is a great forum - dont anyone change it
AnswerID: 308661

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:48

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:48
haha, and every time I read one of your posts, the voice of Klingon Lieutenant Commander Wolf speaks out to me :)))

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574657

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:57

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:57
Onya Trekkie.......I agree....
FollowupID: 574663

Follow Up By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:32

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:32
Equinox - He was not as handsome as me

PERSONNEL FILE: Worf

Last Starfleet Rank: Lieutenant Commander
Current position: Federation Ambassador to Qo'noS; previously, strategic operations officer, Deep Space Nine and first officer, U.S.S. Defiant
Full Name: Worf
Date of birth: Earth equivalent: Dec. 9, 2340
Place of birth:Qo'noS,Klingon Empire
Parents: Son of Mogh; foster parents Sergey and Helena Rozhenko
Education: Starfleet Academy, 2357-61
Marital status: Widowed: married to Jadzia Dax, 51247.5 (died 2374)
Children: One son, Alexander, born 43rd day of Maktag (Earth equivalent 2366)
Quarters: Currently relocating to Qo'noS from residence at DS9; formerly, Enterprise Deck 7, Sect. 25B

FollowupID: 574691

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 06:18

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 06:18
... which reminds me that I need to make time for the permanent three level Star Trek experience at the Hilton next time I am in Vegas! ;-)
Portaled 79 series with rego VALHAL. Selcal 1510 VKS. Nissan 4x4 Club of Victoria & Trakmaster Owners Club.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 574693

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:42

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:42
Wow, Trekkie !!

Maybe it's time that I came out and admitted to being a big fan of Sex and the City !!

There's a marathon on Fox right now...

Gotta go.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574749

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:58

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:58
Hi Steve

I am a member of a few travel oriented forums, and this is my favourite, and I love meeting good people I have 'met' here. I believe in free speech, but i have the power over what i read. I have the 'open thread' button if I am interested, and 'back to index' if I don't want to read any further. There is always the 'alert moderator' button if something is really offensive and outside the rules of the forum. Generally, if someone is being unpleasant, all they are doing is making themselves look like an unpleasant person in the eyes of the world - not my worry.

The membership is a slice of life - different reactions and styles from different people - all part of the world we live in. I have fun on ExplorOz.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 308672

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 23:25

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 23:25
PRICELESS.......thankyou Motherhen
FollowupID: 574669

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:12

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:12
Here! Here! totally agree Motherhen
FollowupID: 574707

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 01:26

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 01:26
I do not think so and all I can ask is that we move onwards and upwards. If there are posts or posters that are not playing the game please simply hit the alert moderators button and at least let us know, you may not think it but we do not read every post. So sometimes a little prompt to read something may bring things to our attention. It does not have to be an alert for something to be deleted, just let us know if something is not right and we will make a call on the issue. We may choose to do nothing or it may make us read a certain persons posts a little closer in the future.

If the moderators do not know then it makes it very difficult for us to guess your thoughts and feelings.

One of the things I have picked up on more is that some of the regulars that know each other well have personal digs at each other and for others that do not know, it can seem a little over the top. Maybe those that conduct themselves in the fashion could tone it down a little as it can be taken the wrong way by others.

There are a few posters at the moment that are exceptionally bad and seem to want to create tension within the community I WILL GET RID OF THESE VERY SOON.

Past all that all we can do ourselves is continue to be helpful, positive and pleasant to one and other enjoy. We created ExplorOz to have helpful like minded people exchange views and information so lets do it.

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 308692

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 01:36

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 01:36
Good on you David , well said, and no im not sucking up ...lol..

Cheers.......Borgy
FollowupID: 574690

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:23

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:23
Well said David and Michelle but may I interject slightly.

The regulars that know each other and are comfortable having a dig or banter are part of the 'community' that keeps me coming back here. If their 'antics' to EACH other sometimes seem over the top...it is usually only to 'others' looking in.
By all means, if someone is just plane rude or insulting without provocation then moderate but let the banter from friends continue.
I believe half the problems are the 'Holier than thou' visitors that feel the need to interject into conversations or discussions and wield their large stick when it doesn't concern them create the issues they preach to prevent.

As always I guess common-sense (not all that common) has to prevail and we ignore trouble makers but I'd hate to lose some of the community aspect due to 'over' moderation.

Again thanks for the site and keep up the good work

All the best

Matt.
FollowupID: 574737

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:40

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:40
Matt,

Not worries there, I am not talking about over moderation just asking those involed to curb it a little or at least try to make it so that others reading will at least know that they know each other. Anyway positive, onward and upward..... Have a great day in this very bad WA weather today.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574741

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 14:36

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 14:36
David, Is Borgy one of these "bad" posters ???????
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574794

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:36

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:36
Yeah David....am i ??? ...lol

Cheers.......Borgy
FollowupID: 574821

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:06

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:06
Ah, no not any more based purely on your initial response to my post above - lol. Have a good one.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574878

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:35

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:35
It is a great site Steve - but not ruined in my view - just affected by "the times" - I drop in everyday because I'm right into the practicalities of outback travel and have learned a lot here - and mostly skim past the posts that I have little interest in - I usually only read about conflict on these pages, well after the event !
By way of contrast, it'll never get to the stage that MSN's popular Caravan Forum found itself in - hosted by some bloke known as Geezer, it was closed when MSN realised (my reading of events) what was going on there - a great pity all round - we are lucky here at EOz to have proprietors who have their "hands on the wheel", daily.
AnswerID: 308735

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:44

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:44
With no offence meant or implied to any previous (or future) poster

I wonder why people who claim to be unhappy on EO don't simply delete the 'short-cut' they use to get here ??

:-> would they go into a hotel they did not like ?
:-> or drive a vehicle they did not love & enjoy ?

The EO forum has rules and regulations, we have the choice, respect them - or stay away !
No one forces us to read or reply to posts - it's a privilege afforded by David and his team !

(just my opinion)

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 308736

Follow Up By: nickb - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:12

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:12
To some, this forum is just a place they visit and get some info from and to see what is going on around the place.

To others, this site isn't just a 4x4/camping/etc website. It is a place where they catch up with mates or get info that may influence their decision relating to whatever they are after. This may be their only medium to communicate their thoughts or whatever to like minded people.

I liken it to going to the local pub. If someone at the pub started saying something they didn't like, they wouldn't just get up and leave, why should they? They should be able to enjoy a drink as they like in good company and maybe politely try and sort it out.

In saying that, if you get upset over the slightest thing maybe you shouldn't be at the pub!!!

Just a different angle to think about...
FollowupID: 574748

Follow Up By: Member - Steve & Paula - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:31

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:31
Mainey,

I agree with your sentiments. However - I see this as a great site and raised this concern to express my opinion and hopefully do something about it. When I look back I would have been a full member for four years and general member for a period before that. I joined mainly because I wanted to contribute to the future of the site. Walking away would not ensure the future of the site. (I never indicated that I would leave in my post BTW.) To carry your analogy a little further, if I receive meal that is not up to par and don't inform the business of the same, there is no chance for them to do something about it. By making concerns public, things can be improved!

Steve
FollowupID: 574776

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:49

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:49
Steve,
That is the sole reason I started my post with the following words:
""With no offence meant or implied to any previous (or future) poster""

:-) {as I smile and continue to type}

It was clearly not directed at you, but in general
at the few who don't want to abide by the EO forum rules and regulations.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 574782

Follow Up By: Member - Steve & Paula - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 22:54

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 22:54
Thanks Mainey - I understood this and didn't take any exception to your comments.

My response was only an explanation of why I started this post. As I stated at the beginning of my post - I agree with you.

Steve
FollowupID: 574941

Reply By: troopyman - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:44

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:44
This site doesnt seem to be a four wheel drive forum but rather a four wheel drivers forum . A lot of diffrent topics and a lot of diffrent opinions so sometimes things will get heated i suppose . No big deal .
AnswerID: 308745

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 12:41

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 12:41
You got it in one Troopy...Short and sweet , well said!!

Cheers......Borgy
FollowupID: 574767

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:27

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:27
This is by far the most aggressive forum I use, people here have a tendency of picking small things out of a post and and highlighting it and blow it out of proportion.

If you do say something wrong on here instead of telling you you wrong and the right way is this...... the tell you your full of bleep and you no nothing about what your talking about, I think this is very unique with this forum.

Like all things there are many ways of doing something and just because you might do it one way doesn't mean it's the wrong way.

People have a hard time of understanding logic.

FollowupID: 574820

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:30

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:30
I don't know what happened and I don't really want to know - but I will say I will miss Doug's wit and experience as a great poster on here - shame it turned out like that as David and Michelle run a great site and I'm sure they did what they thought for the best.

Pity one or two persistent stirrers are still allowed free rein.
AnswerID: 308811

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:39

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:39
G'day Steve

Do you consider yourself a stirrer???

Cheers......Borgy

FollowupID: 574823

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:14

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:14
Steve...you must get a life....you cannot get rid of the people you don't like...you have to learn to live with them in all walks of life...lighten up mate
FollowupID: 574829

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:20

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:20
thanks for such profound advice - I'll see what I can do

pity you chose to ignore the two positive comments - perhaps you need to lighten up too

FollowupID: 574833

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:06

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:06
I could ask you the same question

If I were stirring I would've made a lot more of my post - as it was I felt I showed a lot of restraint.
AnswerID: 308827

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:41

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:41
Steve

Yes i admit at times i have stirred the pot , so to speak, and i will admit that to anyone, But for you to get on here and say, "Pity one or two persistent stirrers are still allowed free rein."As far as im concerned is hypocritical.....yes i do read most posts on here , and think you should perhaps go back and read all of your own.....Oh thats right , you cant do that can you?? Because as i recall one of yours was deleted the other day!!

Cheers......Borgy
FollowupID: 574917

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 13:55

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 13:55
well that made me laugh matey - I wasn't referring to you at all - I haven't even noticed you on the forum before....but if you have nothing better to do than "stir the pot" good luck to you

In over eight years of occasional posting on here, I have had three, let's say robust dialogues, one, with each of three different people all of whom still post regularly

If I've had a post deleted, it's news to me. I don't go through my or anyone else's posts on here

I'll make this my last comment on this thread because it's the kind of pettiness that has driven so many away and does the site no favours
FollowupID: 575029

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:38

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:38
Steve,
I filled out the survey to express my views on the running of this forum of which i have been a long-time member (March 2003). That might be a better way of telling David and Co that you think there's a problem and you might win a fridge too....

However since its come up i will say this much:
Its not the first time this topic has come up and it won't be the last. We live through the different stages and characters that we love and those others that eventually thankfully self-destruct and the core team plods on as always. Offering advice, taking advice, telling tales tall and true and generally having a good experience here. You eventually learn to skip those names that annoy or skim through them in case they actually have something to say.
AnswerID: 308836

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:47

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:47
cheers Wayne. I really don't think there's much at all wrong with the site. I do participate in others but I like the quick response and archives on this one best. There are some great posters on here and I've learned a good few things from them. I'd rather dwell on the positive side of it and say that for me, it's the best site of it's kind around. Just thought it a bit sad that one of our best characters (IMHO, of course) has buggered off.
FollowupID: 574843

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:58

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:58
Is this thread going somewhere special?
Image Could Not Be Found
Who will be the first to admit they can possibly change, or are even aware they may be the 'stirrer' talked about?
Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 308837

Sponsored Links