Alice - Uluru 2WD

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:33
ThreadID: 58543 Views:2393 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Probably this is not the first time this question is asked, but I after some research I can't find the right answer.

We are planning a few days in the Alice region in september. We will be hiring a 2WD camper and are going to visit Uluru, Kings Canyon and the West MacDonnell Ranges, and are NOT planning to do the Mereenie Loop.
Our itinerary will be he following:
- Alice -> Uluru: Stuart Hwy, Lasseter Hwy
- Uluru -> Kings canyon: Lasseter Hwy, Luritja Rd
- Kings canyon -> West Macdonnel R, Luritja Rd, Ernest Giles Rd, Stuart Hwy

So... what about Luritja & Ernest Giles Rd? + After the 'West MacDonnel trek' (as described no problem for a 2WD) we will be drving back to Alice from Hermannsburg over the Larapinta dr

Will our 2WD camper survive these roads?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jason - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 07:05

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 07:05
Hi Benoiod,

We lived in Alice a few years ago & the Ernest Giles Rd was probably the worst of the ones you have mentioned. It was the least maintained & very corregated. The Lutitja Rd is considered part of the Mereenie Loop rd but is well maintained.

My Advice would be to ring Erldunda Road House & get road conditions. Also, make sure your hire car is covered for off road use as a lot of insurances wont cover it.

Cheers & Happy Travels
Jason
AnswerID: 308699

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:52

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:52
I'd reinforce what Jason says about insurance. We chased up hire vehicles for friends vistiting Alice and every 2WD contract I saw specifically excluded them going off the bitumen. They have all had a lot of experience in picking up evidence that a vehicle has been off road and I wouldn't do it unless I had discussed it with the renter and had seen a specific clause in the contract that satisfled me that I would be covered off road. If the renter agreed, you might get agreement to do a particular non bitumen road if they thought this road wasn't too bad, but I doubt it.
FollowupID: 574744

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:57

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:57
From Hermannsburg around to Glen Helen its simply a well maintained gravel road (unless rain upsets the equation). The 'Ernie Giles' is gravel but can be very rough at times due to the flogging it gets as a shortcut to the Luritja Hwy etc. - taking it quite easy would be the key I guess - tyre quality is probably the only real issue for that leg of your plan.
AnswerID: 308728

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:29

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:29
Gday,
As long as the Ernest Giles road hasnt been too cut up you shouldnt have any problems.

Cheers
AnswerID: 308810

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:33

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:33
The Giles can be rough going in places, even for a 4WD. 2WD - don't risk it and stick to the bitumen. It's just as quick if somewhat longer
FollowupID: 574839

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 19:25

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 19:25
Gday,
Yes it can be rough for a 2wd at times but unless wet its never an issue for 4WD.
Also its about twice the distance going around the bitumen.
The bitumen could be quicker if you sat on around 200Km but we do have speed restrictions know.
If the hire company says its OK to take the camper on the dirt and the road is in average condition I wouldnt even consider going around the bitumen.

Cheers
FollowupID: 574855

Sponsored Links