Those funny lights in the sky!!!

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:58
ThreadID: 58549 Views:2681 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
forgot to mention in our latest blog update, onthe second night of being out at Red Bluff,I'd been doing some random star gazing after tea. We'd been sitting under the awning and every now and then I'd walk outside and just check out all those stars every so often.
I got up to walk out from under the awning on the last occasion, when walking out, I noticed all the ground around Red bluff was an electric blue/ whiteish colour. At the same time , heard a loud scream from the office area, which was just back from us, and it was one of the managers sons freaking out over what I was looking at. A quick glance up into the heavens, and there was this massive white ball, with flames trailing behind, for a split second then GONE!!.
Poor young guy from the office didnt know what it was and tried to explain to mum and dad, after waking them up, what it looked like.
Anyone seen one before??? Was it a meteorite burning up?? I've seen some great shooting stars before , but nothing ever as good as this one!! Lit the whole ground area up like a fireworks going off. Great stuff. Cheers Unc. PS have some great pics of the Bluff but have to wait till tech problem gets sorted i think.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:32

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:32
Meteorite? Once had one light up the area I was in during a meteorite shower. One of them even looked like a parachute flare. No sound at all. Eery.
AnswerID: 308733

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:51

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:51
Had a similar expirience a few months back....traveling home from work, I was driving and the guy who travels with me was talking to me, when as I was watching the road ahead, suddenly saw a meteorite do it's earth entry thing....bright light, long flame tail and then seem to bleep ter and dissappear all before I could interupt him to get him to see it too...seen a few now...a lot far away and maybe 1or 2 close enough to light up where you are...but all too quick to photos...

A few years back there was a news report where one actually struck a parked car, about the size of a cricket ball...had a few pictures...guy was moaning about insurance...glad he wasn't in it when it happen...would have needed new pair of jocks I reckon.
AnswerID: 308738

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:04

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:04
A few years back I was camping with my kids at Angle Crossing near the ACT and in the night there was an earsplitting shriek from the heavens and a dull thump.... what it was I'll never know but it sounded like an artillery shell enroute shipping plug intact...
AnswerID: 308799

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:09

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:09
Oh yeah in 2005 I was at a caravan park in the Alice, wandered outside at night and looked into the sky... I spot 4 red lights, just sitting there.... Of course I allerted the entire park to the fact that there were Min Min lights over the Macdonnel ranges... Many Many pics were taken by all and sundry.... I could not understand how these things could stay in such perfect formation
Morning came and I looked up to where the lights had been and guess what? No lights but there are some towers there and at night fall they had red lights on them.... I didn't bother telling anyone the following night the "lights" were back....
FollowupID: 574815

Reply By: lifeisgood - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:22

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:22
Heard on the TV the other day ,someone saying that the meterites (shooting stars) are commonly just the size of a pea but coming into the earths atmosphere at many thousands of km/hr per hour they mostly vaporise in seconds (fortunately for us).
Sounds like some of the ones above could have been a bit larger?
AnswerID: 308807

Reply By: ozwasp - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:10

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:10
Hi mate

Six years ago I was working on nightshift as a Driller's offsider halfway between Ayers Rock and Laverton in WA, at a place just south of the Jamieson community. The place is in the middle of nowhere and we couldn't even get AM radio reception.

One night at about 11pm I had to go for a water run to the bore, as we were running low on water to drill with and so took the water truck off for the 2-3km journey to the bore while the driller and other offsider kept on working.

Anyway I got to the bore and started the pump and sat in the cab while the truck filled up for about 15mins. When it finished I turned the pump off and was just about ready to go back when I saw these 2 red lights just up from the horizon in the distance moving in strange directions in the one area. I looked for a couple of minutes and they finally went down below a ridge. I'm not sure if what ever if was came down to earth or went beyond the horizon as they were in the distance.

As you can imagine I was sh-it scared so didn't hang around any longer. I was glad to leave the place a few days later and not go back. I didn't mention it to my work mates, but a couple of Drillers I talked to said they had seen strange lights out that way beyond Laverton.

Will.
AnswerID: 308858

Sponsored Links