Sawtron 880 UHF

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 15:27
ThreadID: 58559 Views:4147 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I've got an old Sawtron 880 UHF which has given great service over the years but in the last 2 or 3 trips I've noticed it doesn't seem to receive that well - it's as if all but the very strongest signals are squelched out. When the squelch is low it seems to receive even the weakest signals but the volume has to be kept low so it doesn't drive you nuts.

Before I go out and spend $300 or $400 on a new one is there anything a bloke handy with a multi meter and/or soldering iron can do with it?

Grateful any advice. Cheers Paul B Kalgoorlie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:54

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:54
Not really.

Probably a component has drifted in value over the years (I have the same issue with my 15 year old Sony radio). Unless you have a circuit diagram and an accurate way of measuring capacitance and, maybe, inductance, (your meter will do resistance) and are prepared to spend hours unsoldering components to test their value then you're stuffed.

You could take a flyer and use an ESR meter to check the electrolytic caps. (which usually age first) but I doubt they would be causing the fault you describe.

My only other suggestion is to check the power supply voltages within the radio (if you know what they should be and where to test them). Other it's a new radio I'm afraid :(

btw. I assume you have ascertained that the aerial has good connections to the set and is working correctly on transmit?

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 308795

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:07

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:07
PS. Take a look here for a new radio:

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-02.htm

I don't know much about CBs but Andrews usually have the cheapest (or close to) prices for Amateur radios.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 574813

Reply By: Member - Mudduck (NSW) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:36

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:36
Hi Paul, a sawtron 880 is a pretty old rig and in my opinion past its use by date. I'd go an Icom ic400.

Just a thought.

Cheers Steve
Cheers Steve VK2UD
Dents are like scratches but with better stories

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 308812

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:34

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:34
May sound like I'm stating the obvious, but have you checked the aerial and cable?
suss out the cheap fixs first.
Shane
AnswerID: 308874

Sponsored Links