4wd hire and cape york (telegraph road)

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:23
ThreadID: 58576 Views:6819 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are 2 possibly 3 families from Denmark (Europe) who are planning a Cape York trip (Cairns-Cairns via lakefield NP)via the old Telegraph road in june/juli 2009. Questions: Which 4wd rental company to hire from (they must allow access to the telegraph road track and have sufficient equipment(recovery gear, etc) to handle the trip.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ozwasp - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:44

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:44

You'll be lucky if you find one

The major ones won't let you go past Cooktown or Laura

I don't blame them though, they're probably sick of tourists using their vehicles as submarines.

I don't think any rental company would want you to go on the telegraph track, from what I've heard it's really bad.

You might be better off just purchasing a vehicle (the newest one you can) and getting all your own gear. There's a good chance on whatever vehicle you take, you'll break it pretty well.


AnswerID: 308880

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:53

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:53
Hi Will, when did that happen? I hired a Toy-oto 4wd and there were no restrictions. that was about 3 or maybe 4 yrs ago. There were plenty of rentals onthe road - and most of them did not speak ausenglish!!
FollowupID: 574895

Follow Up By: On Patrol - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:12

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:12
I guess that you have not travelled the track in question, it's not the car breaker that you seem to think it is.

I was their last year in May and meet a lot of oversee's tourists in rented Troopys and Land Cruisers, from Britz, Sergeant's, Maui and other companies.

The track can be difficult in places, but travelling in a group of cars is advisable, and they are doing that, so as to render assistance to each other IF they get stuck etc.

We had just one recovery on the track, when the days leader went up the wrong creek exit and got bogged. Also June July is well into the dry season and most creeks will be lower by then.

The guys asking the question seem to understand what they are getting themselves into, and I am sure they will be researching well beforehand, no they can do it.
FollowupID: 574906

Reply By: Member - Longtooth (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:49

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:49
I've seen both Budget and Hertz rental 4WD's up there. Check their web sites. However, I believe you will need to buy your own equipment as the majority of rental vehicles do not have anything but a jack (if you are lucky).
AnswerID: 308886

Follow Up By: madfisher - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:42

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:42
I work for one of the majors mentioned above and customers are not supposed to take them offroad. This does not mean people do not take them off road but if something goes wrong the excess will be $3000.00 plus recovery costs.
However their are Co thet specilise in renting 4wds for offroad.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 574919

Reply By: On Patrol - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:52

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:52
G'day Mads R
Try the link below. I rented a sat phone from them last year in May, and they were renting 4WDs for cape trips then.

The link takes you to the contact page and you will see the details for their Cairns outlet.

Other details can be had from this site including rental policy.

4WD hire Cairns

AnswerID: 308888

Reply By: heldus - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:11

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:11
Hi Mads,

try: www.rmstravelcars.com.au

Good luck

AnswerID: 308937

Reply By: donks1 - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 07:41

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 07:41
Hi there

we rented a troopy in '06 for the trip to the top, the company didn't have any issues with us taking it. ( i specifically asked the question ) however as mentioned above, the excess for a total loss was $3000.00. the way we got around this was with our travel insurance, which you will no doubt have. that covered vehicle excess up to $5000.00 even though we live in AUS, the $90.00 insurance was cheap protection..

AnswerID: 308947

Reply By: Boobook2 - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 08:34

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 08:34
Also take a look at Britz, www.britz.com.au they kit the vehicle out with everything, inc bedding, stoves, pots pans, tents plates, even optional EPIRB. I am also pretty sure they don't put restrictions on where you go. I hired one for the Gibb River Rd and it was great.
AnswerID: 308956

Sponsored Links