Hilux whine

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:27
ThreadID: 58593 Views:1915 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just had the suspension redone on my '98 hilux with Old Man Emu. However, driving away from ARB, I now notice a slight whine when accelerating, decelerating and whilst travelling at a constant speed. Whine is most noticeable around 50km/hr and 100km/hr. No whine is evident when rolling in neutral. Car has only done 125K km. Sounds gearbox'y to me. Any thoughts on this?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 13:11

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 13:11
Check your tailshaft centre carrying bearing, the one in the rubber mount, if you have movement there this may be the problem.
Any suspension lift will have changed the operating angle of the
universal joints as well so check them as well. I doubt the problem is the gear box, more likely the drivetrain.......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 308990

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 17:17

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 17:17
More then likely diff. Myn had a whine for the whole time I had it, never got any noisier and sold with 300k on it and still going strong. Hilux's in general seemed to have a whine (earlier models). Doubt very much it had any thing to do with the suspension lift. Mine didnt whine in neutral either but soon as I put load back on it, you could here it again only slight but enough to know it was there. Just turn up the boom box a bit more LOL. I had OME on my lux and found it great. I find it on the prado a bit firm but once loaded great. Did you get the Dakkar springs fitted to the rear ?? Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 309042

Follow Up By: samsgoneagain - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 21:43

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 21:43
its either always had the whine and you can only hear it now cause you have changed the ' accustics' or its the uni joint just near the diff. the slightest movement will make a small noise.
FollowupID: 575136

Sponsored Links