Tuning Chip going into the Hilux (2000 non-turbo)

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 14:18
ThreadID: 58638 Views:4670 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Well the deal is this, we're going to go for a drive beforehand, then he's going to put it in, and then we are going to go for a drive afterward. If I like it I pay for it, if I don't I give him $85 installation and de-installation fee.

I negotiated this because he sell's Hiclones. I had one. I don't believe they work. The only reason I am continuing with him is because I know he doesn't make the tuning box so I don't care about what he claims.

So, if the increased power and torque exist other than in my mind i thought I would be seeing decreased RPM at set speeds as a measure of increase power and torque. Am I getting basic mechanical relationship between rpm and power and torque wrong here? Because I planned to take the rpm at set gears and speeds and then do a direct comparison on the day. I just didn't think I could get better economy by using the same rpm to get the same speeds.

I do know:

"HP is directly proportional to torque and RPM. "Directly proportional" means there may be a multiplyer involved, so let's find it using our example numbers, remembering that 1 revolution per second is 60 RPM:

torque * RPM * constant = hp

87.5 lbf-ft * 60 rev/min * X = 1 hp

X = 1 / (60 * 87.5) = 1/5250

torque * RPM * 1/5250 = hp

hp = (torque * RPM) / 5250 "

I know, this could be an embarrassing question but what the hell.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madfisher - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 14:42

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 14:42
You will see no diff in engine revs if it is a manual. How can their be unless the gearing is altered, or am I missing something.
The chip may change fuel air mixtures.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 309226

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 14:45

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 14:45
I don't know much about gearing so that would be the downfall in my post then ... oh well, will just have to "see how it goes".
FollowupID: 575234

Reply By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 15:48

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 15:48
you will see no diff in RPM, this is set by gears and tyre sizes.

find a steep hill and see if it climbs it at a higher speed or in a higher gear. Better indication of more torque

Stefan
AnswerID: 309249

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 15:57

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 15:57
Thanks Stefan

I feel a little better educated now. He actually did say that we need to find some hills before and after to compare, so that's encouraging.
FollowupID: 575255

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 16:50

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 16:50
What make of chip is it It may just be a Hiclone clone.
U really need to dyno it before and after to see if it truly makes any difference. There is a lot of "I want it to be be bette"r in running it up a hill.
I have just put a DTRONIC chip in my croozer TD and it certainly feels better etc but it is going in for a Dyno and a 3" exhaust and redyno to guarantee its better.
AnswerID: 309266

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 17:03

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 17:03
A Hiclone isn't a chip. It's a funnel - no electrics nor circuitry whatsoever. I've had one, would have got my money back but could not be bothered with the time taken to get it deinstalled. That was my last vehicle.

He hasn't got a name for me for the unit other than it is imported form the UK. I just think he is trying to protect his source in case he has a winner product, he does sell some junk. I will be looking at it closely and hope to be extremely skeptical. The figures are very impressive and he strenuously argues the benefit is in the low down ranges as opposed to other brands where you need to get to peak power revs to get the benefit.

The UK indicates there are soooo many of these things.

At the end of the day, he is promising a significant increase 70kW to 86kw and similar percentage increase in torque, it will be sufficiently large for me to be able to tell the difference, well I hope.
FollowupID: 575267

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 17:34

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 17:34
I know that it isnt a chip and isnt any good anyway. Was poking the *hit at it.
I wouldnt buy any chip if the seller wouldnt tell me the name so I can look it up on the net or talk to someone about it
You dont need peak power in other brands at all. They all vary a bit but certainly dont need to be driven hard to get the results. Only true way to back up impressive figures is to Dyno it and show you the results.
As you say he sells junk amonst which is Hiclones.
Enough said perhaps.

Nothing like a reputable brand even if it costs more.
Price of his mysterious wonder is ??????????
FollowupID: 575274

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 23:44

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 23:44
Have a look at this link to DP Chips site re the 5LE Hilux engine.

http://www.dpchip.com.au/5le.html

I would be very very cautious about anyone who tells you you can get 16 Kw's more out of a normally aspirated diesel.

Does this guy have aback ground in engine tunning or is it just a product he found and is trying to make some money from it to go with the money he makes from selling snake oil.

FollowupID: 575397

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:57

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:57
I have gone into this making a direct comparison with the DPChip for the 5LE, and i may go back there. He is happy to bag the DPChip by saying where it comes from and who makes, but I can tell from his email he is cutting and pasting from his supplier.

No he has no engine experience at all I believe, but he sells, doesn't make them. He is happpy to admit that, but forwards me quite interesting details that clearly not from him.

I am going into this cautiously. I won't necessarily believe everything he tells me.

FollowupID: 575439

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:15

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:15
Enjoy your 5 Kw's extra power.....now don't get caught speeding or doing burn outs now will you.
AnswerID: 309331

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:49

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:49
It's 16kw - so if that's true, that's a big difference to a 70kw engine, just depends on where it comes in ....
FollowupID: 575430

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:54

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:54
Why don't you just fit a Turbo?
AnswerID: 309424

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:52

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:52
Gone down that path:

1. it costs more than 3 x as much.
2. can't take it out easily if i want to.
3. the factory turbo of my model had a stronger clutch and stronger gearbox, I'd prefer to actually prefer not to have as much power and torque as a turbo would give me for that reason.
4. i really really hate turbo lag. If a twin turbo was available for the same cost then hell yeah, i'd be there and take a chance on the clutch and gearbox ...
FollowupID: 575436

Reply By: Member - Porl - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:37

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:37
And I will get it dyno tested afterward and sue him if it's less than the DPchip graph. He's got an ABN, has been in business with for 5yrs, no company, and I will know where he lives cause that's his office.

Redcliffe Dyno Tuning as Clontarf will do the test for me for $77, bargain. And free coffee while I wait.

Will post results here (if my engine doesn't blow up on the way there or home).
AnswerID: 309473

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 17:36

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 17:36
Will cost u more than u pay for the chip.
How much is he charging for the chip.
I would suggest you buy a name brand which is proven (or not ) to work rather than an unamed supposed wonder from someone who thinks Hiclones actually work.
Why not go to EMM in Sandgate who will supply a DP chip and dyno it and tune it and do it properly. Cost probably under $1500
FollowupID: 575499

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:31

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:31
Hi Graham

I went through that and the DPChip improvement does not stack up much against even their own supplied Dyno graph.

If I am paying the same ballpark figure, and I am, I intend to take the chance.

He's a no-one, I know that. But I also believe that a lot of these chips only come from a few manufacturers and he thinks he's on to a winner from a reputable one and has convinced me to take a chance with low down power and torque improvement rather than high up and higher all up figures.

I came soooo close to the DPChip and the Tunit I may regret this but I am determined to give it a go.n If I blow $1,285.00 I'll certainly be back here to let everyone know. And if he lived in another city and had not been in business for 5yrs from his own house, I would not proceed. I am proceeding on the basis he may have a winner product that is hitherto unknown for various reasons but may well become known in the near future, he fully expects to be stocking TJM and Opposite Locks in the near future, may be true may not be, I am prepared to be the bunny if need be.
FollowupID: 575605

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 14:23

Saturday, Jul 12, 2008 at 14:23
So after all your careful searching you havent told us what happened
Is it any good or not or did it blow you and your truck off the face of the earth so you couldnt tell us
FollowupID: 581024

Sponsored Links