calling all chemcal experts- subject ozone

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 15:42
ThreadID: 58644 Views:1839 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
does anyone know how ozone affects an engine ( intake -combustion process ) . i can make a generator for about 30 dollars and put it in the intake of my engine to help combustion etc. is this good or bad . thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RosscoH - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 16:17

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 16:17
Why not put it in the back yard and set it going and fill the hole in the ozone layer. LOL

Sorry mate, couldn't help myself.
AnswerID: 309255

Reply By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 16:28

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 16:28
Samsgoneagain,

Engine will love it. It is basically the same oxygen, but more “dense” if it makes sense and more active. Thus it would be equivalent of 14-15 psi boost (roughly). Diesel engine will cope with it without any doubts, while petrol engine could detonate, but I reckon that EFI will fix it by altering amount of petrol.

Problem is – I don’t believe that you can make useful quantities that simple “on the fly” and storing ozone is problematic due to instability and very high oxidizing potential.

NB It is not that good to inhale it.

Cheers
Serg
AnswerID: 309257

Follow Up By: samsgoneagain - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 17:05

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 17:05
its on a diesel.i was thinking about putting a 'jacobs ladder set up in the intake. i thought it might work cause ozone is o3, and it apparently makes small quantities of nitrous oxide too. but i wasnt sure how it would react with aluminium and iron, thats all.
FollowupID: 575268

Follow Up By: KSV. - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:50
samsgoneagain

Jacobbs ladder produces miserable amount of ozone. Enough to smell or kill bacteria, but nowhere close to make any difference to engine behavior. My (speculative) estimation that you need 10% or more ozone to feel the difference. But difference only can occur if (say) 10% of oxygen will be replaced by 10% of ozone. But to make ozone one need 50% more oxygen. Therefore if ozone will be made “on the fly” from atmosphere oxygen *IT MAKE NO DIFFERENCE* because it will reduce amount of oxygen needed to generate ozone. To make difference one need to *INJECT* extra ozone (or oxygen that makes ozone afterwards) into air. Thus figure it out. In short – does not even worth to make an experiment IMHO.

Cheers
Serg

PS fundamental principle is principle of conserving energy. It means that you have to waste as least as much energy to make ozone as you expect to retrieve as result of better combustion (in real life more because efficiency less then 100%). Therefore if you will not carry supply of ozone (or oxygen) it make process only worse. Ozone not that good substance to carry around and they figured out solution ages ago – NOS.
FollowupID: 575360

Reply By: Vivid Adventures - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 17:06

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 17:06
one example of a patent

Ozone - a toxic gas (O3) with quite different properties to Oxygen (O2) ... the Australian government has standards for the amount of O3 in the air we breathe. Good for the upper atmosphere, sure, but not so good where I'm living, thanks.

Also it is pretty likely to introduce extreme corrosive effects in components exposed to it, so it would need different plumbing and may have a significant effect on the life of the combustion chambers, valves, etc.

I would think if it were viable, it would have been done before.

Cheers
Andrew.
AnswerID: 309269

Reply By: Member - keith P (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:16

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:16
hi voltage in the engine bay...... is not a good idea.

the oxidization inside the engine would destroy it very quickly.

albeit a jacobs ladder will create almost no ozone i still think its a realy bad idea.

Keith
AnswerID: 309286

Follow Up By: samsgoneagain - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:29

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:29
petrol engines already have' high voltage' in the engine bay.
FollowupID: 575288

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:54
Ozone injection works the same way as nitrous oxide does, ozone is an oxidising agent.
AnswerID: 309298

Sponsored Links