Difference between Center diff, and Shift on the fly vehicles

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:46
ThreadID: 58680 Views:7522 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G’day all.

I’m comparing HiLux Dual Cab SR5 and Prado GXL (both Auto, Diesel & ’05), with off road ability being a major criteria for me. The only major difference I can see is Prado has centre differential system and Hilux has shift-on-the-fly system (I’m assuming since its 2WD/4WD without centre diff – but please correct me if I’m wrong)

Thread: 48903 (with link to “Diffs for dummies”) and Thread: 16561 were particularly helpful in better understanding how both systems work. What I can’t see though, is:

1/ what is the major difference or benefits (if any) between "centre differential 4WD’s" and "shift on the fly 4WD’s".
2/ Does centre diff just mean better traction on the road & hard surfaces or is 2WD with LSD just as good???
3/ Will centre diff vehicles go more places off-road than a shift on the fly vehicle?? Are they a better off-road vehicle???

What should the major considerations be, between the 2 systems??

Cheers,

Matto
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 13:44

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 13:44
There is no difference in the actual 4WD system. Both vehicles use a centre diff system

Wheter you have a button (shift-on-the-fly) or the traditional lever both can engage high 2 or 4 without stopping the vehicle (un less the vehicle uses locking hubs. That is what shift on the fly means, no stopping.

You cannot, however, engage low range from high without stopping. This is becuase it may cause damage to the transfer case/centre diff if your going too fast. But you can usually engage low to high while still moving.

Wikipedia definition

They use buttons and switches now as the new age 4WDer can't use a lever anymore.
AnswerID: 309480

Reply By: V64Runner - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 13:57

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 13:57
The only disadvantage with a center locking diff, is that if you should happen to get yourself cross axled and hung up, then you might as welll be in two wheel drive or not even have a center locking diff. Other wise with the center locking diff , it means both front and rear axles are basically "locked " as long as all four wheels are in direct contact with the ground, so you can maintain forward momentum. Once again, if one wheel gets air then you wont be going very far too soon . Hope that helps
AnswerID: 309483

Follow Up By: V64Runner - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 14:00

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 14:00
I also meant to add that if you are cross axled - even with a center locking diff, all the power will go to the opposing wheels that have less traction than the other two that are firmly planted on the ground .
FollowupID: 575471

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 13:59

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 13:59
*with off road ability being a major criteria for me*

If you go the Hilux be prepared to hav it lifted..My 07/04year Model SR5.The Model just before your looking at i am impressed with what it can do off the shelf so to speak...You should seriously look at this model,Built in Japan not Thailand...Of course it does not come in Auto on the Diesel Model....

Just a suggestion

Cheers
AnswerID: 309484

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 17:47

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 17:47
Same ground clearance as a Prado.
FollowupID: 575501

Follow Up By: RU99ED - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:22

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:22
G'day Warfer, Actually was originally looking at Jap model, but was concerned about wheel articulation...Jap has torsion bar front suspension 'v' Thailand ones has coil spring front suspension..... plus the Auto factor considered too.
FollowupID: 575621

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 15:10

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 15:10
Matto,

By "Shift on the fly" I assume that you mean a conventional, part-time, 2WD/4WD system. The important thing to remember is that with the centre diff locked (either by pressing the centre diff lock switch or automatically when engaging L4), there is no difference between the two systems. In either case the front and rear drive shafts will turn at the same speed regardless of what is happening at the wheels because the two drive shafts are locked together. Now what happens when that power reaches the front and rear diffs is a whole different question and depends on whether you have an LSD, how good it is, lockers, etc, etc.

"1/ what is the major difference or benefits (if any) between "centre differential 4WD’s" and "shift on the fly 4WD’s"." - With the centre diff lock engaged, there is no difference or benefit either way, it is essentially the same system. The benefit of a centre diff as fitted to a full time 4WD system is that you can keep it in 4WD (with the diff lock disengaged) on high traction surfaces and the centre diff allows the front and rear drive shafts to turn at different rates which is required for cornering, etc. In the same way that the LSD in your axle allows the left and right wheels to turn at different rates and apportions power between them.

"2/ Does centre diff just mean better traction on the road & hard surfaces or is 2WD with LSD just as good???" - Yes, it does mean better traction on the road and hard surfaces. No a 2WD system is just that, power to only two wheels. The LSD (in the axles as opposed to a centre diff) works the same regardless of what system you have. It just apportions power between the left and right wheels on the same axle, the centre diff (which is an LSD as well) does the same job between front and rear drive shafts.

"3/ Will centre diff vehicles go more places off-road than a shift on the fly vehicle?? Are they a better off-road vehicle???" - No, because as mentioned, with the centre diff lock engaged, they are essentially the same system. In other words you don't have a centre diff anymore, just two drive shafts locked together.

Cheers,

Matt.
AnswerID: 309489

Follow Up By: RU99ED - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:31

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:31
G'day Matt M,

Sorry... yep... my terminology ain't so great... by shift on the fly, I was referring to PT 2WD/4WD.

Anyway.... great explanation, and question answered.

Cheers, Matto.
FollowupID: 575622

Reply By: png62 - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 13:30

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 13:30
I just quickly read through the other replies and noticed that nobody mentioned that the Prado is in fact in all wheel drive ALL the time and the Centre Diff Lock button merely locks the torque distribution to 50/50 which is unlike the all wheel drive 40front/60rear. The Hilux is in fact in rear wheel drive until the "shift on the fly" system is engaged then it is in 4wd with a 50/50 drive split. I CALL THAT A MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

I personally prefer all wheel drive for those unforeseen slippery surfaces even on the best of roads but particularly on gravel - it greatly improves the predictability of the handling.

Both terrific platforms and will go a lot better off road with minor upgrades, (suspension lift & tyre choice).

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 309685

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 15:14

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 15:14
John,

Read my response to Matto's Question 1.

Matt.
FollowupID: 575648

Reply By: RU99ED - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:16

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:16
Thanks everyone for the information you’ve provided. It’s basically confirmed my original thoughts that the 2 different systems have no particular advantage over the other ONCE in 4WD mode with diff’s locked.

Don’t know if I should start a new forum or carry on with this one, but here goes…..

My preference is for a Hilux ute, but got concerned about off-road ability and (hence started looking at Prado wagon) after reading the following article in overlander magazine, and later seeing a bit of ute-bashing, like in thread 57443.

The article is called: “Lock 'N Load: Rodeo V Navara V Bravo V Hilux”
Heading: “Mud and Dust”
Quote: “Don’t kid yourself into thinking that these utes are super capable off-road vehicles, for none of them are. They may be very robust, and practical in the bush, but by the standards of modern 4WD wagons with traction control & smart 4WD systems, they lack real go-anywhere capability.

http://www.overlander.com.au/vehicle_tests/index/3/260/Lock-N-Load:-Rodeo-V-Navara-V-Bravo-V-Hilux
>
>
>
If I purchase a HiLux (& once the suspension upgrade is done & diff locker added) I would have thought I’d have a more than capable vehicle…. Or am I just kidding myself and wasting money???
AnswerID: 310307

Follow Up By: RU99ED - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:18

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:18
Oops.... second line was meant to read ... start a new "Thread" or carry on with this one"...... i don't want to upset anyone... this forum is GREAT!!.
FollowupID: 576325

Sponsored Links