Gerry Cans

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 12:42
ThreadID: 5872 Views:2826 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
We're getting conflicting reports. Whilst we understand the reason behind not carrying Fuel Gerry's on the rear of a caravan, Are there any laws agains carrying Water Gerry's, does anyone know?

regards

Al.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 15:43

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 15:43
Good question FoN - Funnily enough a question I was going to ask!

I give up. I've searched all the appropriate roads authorities web sites and downloaded numerous Acrobat PDF files, yet i can't even find documentation outlawing the carrying of fuel, let alone water.

The only reference I can find is in Queensland Transport's 'Safe Towing' flyer which I quote; "There are some general conditions you should follow when loading a trailer. These are: . . . . . • caravans, horse floats and box trailers which have the axle group in the centre of the load space are not permitted to have loads, including spare wheels and bicycles overhanging the rear of the trailer; . . . "

Luckily this is a recommendation (not legislation) as it would make 99% of caravans unroadworthy.

You would think that the authorities would make the type of information which you are seeking readily accessible for those who want to do the right thing!

Anyway over to our fellow EOs - My money is on this one NOT being comprehensively solved."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 24478

Follow Up By: Member - Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 15:51

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 15:51
Wombat,

It will be interesting to find out what our fellow EOs have to advise, CIL insurance have confirmed that fuel Gerry's are a no no on the rear for safety issues, but the question surrounding water Gerry's still remain. The person I spoke to from CIL was rather vague, and said that in their opinion there would be no drama, as the spillage of water in an accident would not cause further damage. However some definite answers would be most welcome.

cheers

FoN [Al]
FollowupID: 16447

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:01

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:01
Perhaps the trailer manufacturers who advertise on this site could point you to the appropriate documentation? Or maybe CIL Insurance could advise you where to view the regulations which they are quoting from? They seem to be pretty sure that petrol containers are a no-no, even though they are legal (?) on the rear of the towing vehicle."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 16448

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:17

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:17
P.S. Like my new pic?"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 16449

Follow Up By: Member - Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:34

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:34
make and model Wombat???
FollowupID: 16450

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 15:17

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 15:17
Nice pic Wombat but I'm CuterRichard
FollowupID: 16499

Follow Up By: Member - Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 15:39

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 15:39
I am not so sure about that Richard.....she looks pretty cute to me..happy driving, and if you can't find em...grind em..
FollowupID: 16500

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:19

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:19
MAY be in the ADR's. It was a problem with Pajero's and others with the integrated jerry can holders on the back doors. Problem being if you hit them you end up with copious quantities of petrol and a ready ignition capacity from damaged electrics, with the burning fuel thrown over a large area. Queensland has banned the carriage of jerries with fuel in rear mounted holders on vehicles or vans/trailers (you need to ask these questions at Queensland Transport to get the right answers). Common sense really. If you need to carry extra fuel (a) get a long range or auxiliary fuel tank fitted, (b) tow a trailer with the jerries in the forward half of the trailer, inside the confines of the trailer walls.
AnswerID: 24481

Follow Up By: Member - Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:34

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:34
Thanks Gary, shall hunt out the ADR's
FollowupID: 16451

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 13:10

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 13:10
Gary - How do I find the ADRs?"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 16496

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 18:19

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 18:19
ADR's:

http://www.dotrs.gov.au/transreg/str_adrindx.htm

Questions about ADR's to:

standards@dotrs.gov.au
FollowupID: 16513

Reply By: GOB member vic - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:28
personally i cant see a problem with water on the back but weight may be a problem Jayco set a limit of 30kgs on the rear bumper of the van and on offroad van thats just about taken by spare as for fuel be it petrol or diesel if you got hit in the bum better you than me . i have jerry can holders on the draw bar and water goes on the roof of the car
but thats only my opinion
steveits arrived just got to get photo and download
only 32 sleeps to go then off nth to darwin yeah
AnswerID: 24492

Reply By: tomic - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:45

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:45
Hi There,
I thought it wise to mention that I have heard that the maximum amount of spare fuel to be carried in any vehicle is only 5ltrs!!.
I cannot confirm this, but it seem's ludicrus if true, maybe a 5lr fire is a lot better/safer, than a 10lt one!
Water on the rear should be fine as long as you get the balance correct, weight distrubution in a caravan is essencial to avoid the dreaded death sway (been there done that! very hairy!!)
I see them carry motor bikes (probibly direct onto chassie) so a few ltr's of water should be no problem.
Cheers, safe driving, TomIC
AnswerID: 24496

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 00:00
I think from memory most aus states do not classify deisel as a dangerous fuel so this would make a differance and most companies who make a jerry holder /wheel carrier would have to stick to ADR surely and this would kick the 4wd fraternity in the ghoulies especially the ones making money from it?

looking at one myself ?????
hmm1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 24527

Follow Up By: Member - Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 07:29

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 07:29
Hi Toonfish, that is my understanding that deisel is not classified dangerous. We've been told that it's illegal for petrol, and I can well understand that, but my concern is Gerry Can's in general on the rear of the van [and the weight factor has been looked at], we are noticing that some manufacturers are placing Gerry Can holders on the rear of vans...and I'm trying to get a response from some manufactureres, but so far none have contacted me.

We are refitting a van, at the moment, pertrol Gerry's will be going on the drawbar, but that still leaves the question about water Gerrys'....I guess we'll just wait and see....

happy days....

Al
FollowupID: 16481

Reply By: Gerry - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 12:15

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 12:15
There are certainly some off road manufacturers that have holders on the back, however, they are between the body of the van and the bumper bar which means that, technically, they are within the external bounds of the van and certainly "protected" by the bumper. I have had mine mounted similarly on my Jayco for years and have never been questioned (yet!). I leave the Gerry's in all the time, even if empty as I have nowhere else to store them basically and so far have not even had a comment from anyone. I have also heard that the same applies to the holders on the side of camper trailers - as long as they are within the framework of the trailer it's OK (as distinct from hanging them on the outside virtually unprotected from side impact). However, all this is simply hearsay as I have yet to see anything in black and white.
AnswerID: 24542

Follow Up By: Member - Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 12:46

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 12:46
Thanks Gerry,

very interesting indeed!

Al
FollowupID: 16495

Sponsored Links