Rain at Well 12 ~ Short Report from Wayne

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:40
ThreadID: 58753 Views:2037 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
So, last night I receive another scratchy Sat phone call from Wayne.

They have RAIN!

The convoy pulled into Well 12 on Thursday night. At mignight he said it started to rain and it didn't stop all Friday...

So they are still at Well 12 awaiting a break in the weather and considering their options, the CSR being too wet to travel at the moment...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vivid Adventures - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:52

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:52
A pity they weren't a little further north - rain on the Durba Hills would have been a sight to behold.
AnswerID: 309864

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 15:02

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 15:02
We were there in July '05...

Having camped south of Savory Ck., we awoke to a heavily overcast sky.. Around mid-morning, it started to drizzle, steadily increasing in intensity as the day went on..
When we arrived at Durba Spring late in the arvo, it was steady soaking rain, and the creek was already running quite strongly..

Having set up camp (in the rain!), I placed a suitable receptacle (billy-can;-)) out in the open to collect the rain.. next morning I measured 70mm.. Thats almost 3 inches in the old money, folks!!

Needless to say, we weren't going anywhere that day (not that we intended to, anyway;-))...

And to say that the Durba Gorge after that deluge was a sight to behold is a gross understatement!! .. "Breathtaking" barely does it justice.........
something not a lot of people would get to see, I'd imagine...

That's a memory that will stay with me for a very long time..

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 575854

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:34

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:34
VKS737 sked traffic suggests there are a lot of travellers rained in, in that general region - up as far as Rudalll River NP too.

AnswerID: 309874

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:37

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:37
Interesting - Do you know how far east the rain got to?

Will be in the Gibson shortly.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 575829

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:22

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:22
I won't be skedding for another week so I didn't note the info in detail. We would advise any of our VKS members to keep in touch with our volunteer staff at Perth and/or Derby bases before venturing into those areas after rain - the bases usually have good up to date info on the regions in their 'backyard'. For example, we have some staff travelling around Warakurna right now (came up from Warburton in the last day or two) - they would be feeding info back to the network if there is anything of note.
FollowupID: 575838

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 14:14

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 14:14
Just realised I said Well 12 when I meant Well 15... Oh well! :-)

(What's a couple of wells between friends?)
AnswerID: 309911

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 17:50

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 17:50
Hi Guys,
I'd appreciate any reliable info you get to assist in keeping our Road Conditions reports for the area accurate and up to date, we have a few people in the region who can update things themselves but its a huge area and very difficult to keep tabs on the most recent changes.

You can email me here with any info, Ill try to keep it as updated as possible.

kerry@exploroz.com

thanks for your help

Kerry W
Road Conditions Coordinator.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 309954

Sponsored Links