Is travelling still viable due to fuel prices?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:57
ThreadID: 58760 Views:4096 Replies:20 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we have just retired and had planned on purchasing a 4WD and caravan to begin travelling around Oz. For those of you who are experienced with travelling can you respond and advise if you feel it is still viable to go ahead and invest in new vehicle and van with view to travelling due to the current cost of fuel. Your advise will be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:14

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:14
Hi Justretired,

2 Years and I'll be Justretired as well.

Depending on your finances of course, but as you are planning on buying the vehicle and van I would suggest that if you buy good second hand then you will have funds left over to spend on fuel.

The other money saving thing I have found is that if you merely travel to the next destination as opposed to heading home you will save lots of money. Therefore I recon the best way to save money is to stay out there as it is always longer to go home.

I recon that, given fuel prices verses income, fuel is still cheaper today than it was when it was 3/6 a gallon.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 309886

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:24

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:24
I should have added that you should consider an LPG powered vehicle as petrol powered vehicles are about $10,000 cheaper than diesel powered vehicles and where I live (Kempsey, Mid North Coast NSW) gas is 73cents per litre while diesel is somewhere above $1.81 per litre.

Last November I did a trip out through central NSW to the Flinders Ranges and down to Whyalla then down into Adellaide and back along the Murray.

When comparing fuel consumption figures with other travellers towing similar 2 tonne caravans I discovered I was getting better economy from the gas than they were from diesel.

I estimated that if they had done the same trip as I they would have consumed $1500 worth of diesel whereas I spent $1250 on gas which included one tank of petrol.

Keep checkin the forum and see what others say on the subject but keep an open mind and you will probably end up making the right decission.
Regards,
Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 575839

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:42

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:42
eben though the cost is cheaper at the pump, in the long run it may not neccessarily be cheaper. Even though the landcruiser would cost $50 to fill up on lpg, we would only get 420km out of the tank (90 odd lt) but the navara (slightly smaller i know) but it would cost $90+ to fill the 70+lt tank but get 770km out of the tank....more economical is the diesel.....
FollowupID: 575845

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 15:29

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 15:29
I had a GQ 4.2 Petrol (LPG) l and a GQ 4.2 Diesel Patrol.
The LPG would get 23/100 which at todays price of 70c works out to $16.10 per 100km.
The Diesel would get 12/100 which at todays price of $1.80 works out at $21.60 per 100kms.
25% cheaper in a perfect world.
But when you factor in the high price of lpg in the bush it gets a lot closer. For me the extra power of the lpg and fewer oil changes made it almost a 50/50 call if i was asked to choose.
The range was the best part of the Diesel.
FollowupID: 575858

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 16:35

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 16:35
Generally speaking, you are only out in the bush when you are on holidays and that is usually about 4 weeks in the year unless you are one of the lucky ones.

So 4 weeks at high prices
and the rest of the year you are saving a packet.

Gas prices were dearest on my trip in Cobar NSW every where else they were cheaper than in my home town.

Gas works for me!

Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 575876

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 05:17

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 05:17
Another point to add in Brew's case we are comparing an 85kW Diesel with a 129kW Petrol. I can't remember the actual torque figures, but the Petrol had more than the Diesel, as they were both naturally aspirated.

LPG, More power, more torque, less cost.

The more modern CRDi Diesels are much better, but when it comes to bang for your buck, LPG still works out more economical.

Disclaimer: This assumes access to reasonably priced LPG.

Jim.

FollowupID: 576032

Reply By: ozwasp - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:15

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:15
Hi mate

Two issues:
1. Do you really want to travel Australia?
2. Fuel's never going to be cheap again, in fact it will be dearer in the future.

Will.
AnswerID: 309887

Reply By: toolman WA - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:23

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:23
ozwasp,
your response is so true, the cost of things goes up, my wife gets more expencive every week. But then I will die and if I dont travel, fuel price high or not, what is the point!!

travel, the day you get back, the price of fuel will go up and yo will feel like you made the right decision.

travel, have a glass of red be happy
Toolman
AnswerID: 309889

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:29

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:29
Profound words Toolman, profound words.

I can only agree.
Get out there Justretired and just do it as you wont regret it.

There are some wonderful people on the road and as we are all prety much the same age, somewhere over 50 we are all pretty much on the same wave length.

Enjoy.
Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 575842

Reply By: Member - Jason & Jodie - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:25

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:25
Hi,
It is still a viable option if you plan it

1. Buy second hand - deprecation will cost you a lot more than fuel prices if you buy new
2. If it is your intention to travel, don't let fuel prices stop you for goodness sake.
3. Yes prices are at record highs but in a few years (if you don't travel) i have no doubt you will be thinking 'I wish we had of traveled when the fuel prices were only $2 per litre' lol.

If you want it you can have it - it's that simple (same quote as 'if there is a will then there is a way')
Cheers & Happy Travels
Jason
AnswerID: 309890

Reply By: motor_head - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:25

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:25
Justretired.....i dont think fuel prices are ever going to come down, at least not by much, i'm sure it will only keep going up but hopefully not as quick as in recent times, it all depends on your financial situation but i say go for it, the rewards will more than compensate the extra fuel money, well dont just sit there, start packing.
AnswerID: 309891

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:26

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:26
Gday,
Cause it is mate, if you can afford it , do it....
You only live once and you cant take your money with you and it goint to get any cheaper. I dont even know what I pay for petrol?
If you need it you've got to pay for it.....no point worrying about it.

Go and enjoy your retirement ya lucky bugger..

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 309892

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:27

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:27
If you were planning a trip o/seas, would you be so uncertain of paying say $2,000.00 - $3,000.00 each for airfares to get there? Probably not. Why worry yourselves re the fuel prices. If you do or don't have a need for a new 4wd and caravan is really for you to judge and decide. It's probably fair to say that the resale value of 4wds and larger vans will probably crash if fuel prices continue to rise to the extent that people can NO LONGER afford to travel in such manner. Really is buying any new vehicle ever a 'good financial investment'? Me thinks not.
If you have a desire or need to go and can afford it, just do it and enjoy yourselves.
Live for the day, for who knows what tomorrow holds!
AnswerID: 309893

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:33

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:33
Shop around and buy yourself a mid 90's 4x4 for about $10,000
Buy and older caravan too. The money you will save should fund your travels around Australia for years to come.

Fuel is a bit like Scotch. Expensive to buy but good to have....LOL

And I doubt if the price will ever come down again. We will just have to get used to it

Cheers
AnswerID: 309895

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 18:21

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 18:21
Wise words indeed!!
FollowupID: 575924

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:40

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:40
justretired,

2 yrs ago...our budget for a desert trip was $100 for 2 adults and 2 kids per day.....included fuel, accom (when needed), and typical spendings.....took $6000 for a 6 week trip....came home with $1200.

today for our innamincka trip (10 days) i have budgeted $1000...our fuel for 10 days will probably be somewhere between $800 and $900...leaving the rest for ''stuff"....which wont be much we'll need to pay for.....taking everything else we need....

food is rarely included in the budget (even though it needs to be paid for ) as we eat whether travelling or not.

compared to travelling overseas like my parents to, they budget for nearly $90 a day with just the 2 of them.

So is it still viable??? I think so. You just be more careful with spendings like you would do at home. ask yourself the question.."Do I really need to buy that"....

do your homework and you wil pick up a vehicle that is economical and a van that will suit your need...

hope this helps in someway,

Laura

and good luck!!
AnswerID: 309897

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:52

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:52
Hi justretired.

I have to agree with the previous posts regarding a used vehicle & van.After checking out the prices at last weeks Brisbane caravan/camping show, you would be crazy to purchase a new van.

You only have one go at living so get out & enjoy yourselves.

Regards.
Vince
AnswerID: 309898

Reply By: troopyman - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 13:48

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 13:48
I only have one advice . Rent your house and if you hate travelling after a year then you have your house to go back to . Dont make the mistake of selling it . If you dont know if you should travel because of fuel prices then i would say stick to weekend trips .
AnswerID: 309903

Reply By: Member - Garth J (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 14:10

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 14:10
justretired,

let's learn from experience......

Back in 1978 as a tentyone y/o I bought a new HZ Holden 4.2 litre V8. price of petrol 16cents/litre.

Two years later when the oil crisis hit sold the vehicle for a 4cylinder sigma. price of petrol 32cents/litre.

Now 51 and will be just retired in 4 years. Thats the plan.

Currently a V6 prado and Kimberley Karavan

Is travelling still viable due to fuel prices?

You betcha!!
There's a lot of great people to meet out there!!

Cheers
Garth
AnswerID: 309909

Reply By: The Landy - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 14:10

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 14:10
I have posted a number of articles on fuel and at the end of the day the cost will be what it is. At times it might be less, but in general the trend will remain towards higher prices.

The issue is not necessarily just about the price of fuel for consumption, but also the effect the increasing cost of fuel has on the resale of vehicles, and most likely camper trailers and caravans. The resale market is already starting to reflect this and this is the area you should focus on as the depreciation is the hidden cost that is often overlooked.

As many have pointed out, buy well second hand and stay away from newer models; as Willem has pointed out there are many bargains to be had if you look at mid 90s vehicles. Whilst not everyone’s (most!) cup of tea my Defender 110 cost $6,000 and would take me around Australia tomorrow..

Hard to comment on vans and I must admit to a bias against them. Costly to buy, resale will plummet in the years ahead given the flood of them on the market, expensive to tow and if you intend using van parks they are expensive, that is if you get a spot.

Good luck with your travels; enjoy.
AnswerID: 309910

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 15:41

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 15:41
If you have a dream of travelling.... but then don't, you will always torment yourself with we shoulda, coulda, didn't....

Fuel is irrelevant... unless you actually can't raise the money to pay for it.

You might kick the bucket tomorrow... then what did the cost matter?

I retired a couple of months ago.... but luckily for me, working involves travelling all over Oz! So... my retirement is more of the same!

Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 309927

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 16:10

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 16:10
Do the maths.

I just came back from a trip through the Qld Channel country for the second time. Dearest fuel was at Birdsville. But ... overall the extra I paid in fuel over the last trip was about $250. Over 10 travel days. Would not have missed it for the world.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 309934

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 18:20

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 18:20
Howdy Justretired, Lucky person, but come Friday 27th June I will join your ranks as that is the day I quit. My wife & I are new to the caravanning world having purchased our first van 3 years ago, a 98 model.
The advise given above, in my opinion sums it up pretty well, particualty that from Jason & Jodie.
I was amazed at the time of looking around to buy our first van, the number of very new & still in showroom condition vans on the market ( we were looking at the private sale market) Many of the vans had only done one decent trip & they were available at a much reduced price on new.
In hindsight I am glad we went the way we did, as after a year or so it became apparent that our choice of van was not quite what we wanted, so we updated recently to a 2005 model with a few more creature comforts. ( Air con. Thunder box & shower as etc)
Change over price was fairly insignificant, but had we have purchased our first van new, it would have hurt the hip pocket.
We started out with a petrol Sedan as a tow vehicle, but 12 months ago changed to a diesel. We do not go off road, so purchased a 4x2 rather than a 4x4 because it was cheaper to do so.
Fuel will not come down in price IMO, but you can off set it to some degree by travelling at 85 to 90 KMH rather than a 100 KMH or so, you will be surprised at the difference.
If you want to do it, go & do it & I reckon you will not dissapointed. Cheers & happy travelling.
AnswerID: 309959

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 19:10

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 19:10
As I have said before, if you use the price of fuel, as an excuse not to travel in Oz, then you really do not want to travel

End of Story

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 309969

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 19:19

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 19:19
Well said

So for two people $14000 for a 3 week trip to Europe or $5000 for 8 week trip in Australia.

Hard decision!

Regards Richard
FollowupID: 575947

Reply By: Eric Experience - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 23:09

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 23:09
Just retired.
We have been travelling for many years. We do not use caravans as they are to much of a hassle and to expensive fuel wise. A van like a vw Transporter will use about half the fuel of any car van combination and you won't have anywhere near the mechanical breakdowns you get towing. We use a Mercedes Sprinter ex ambulance, we get 10L/100k driven sensibly or about 12L/100k if you push it.
If you look around you will get a Sprinter 2wd for about 20k or a 4x4 for about 30k. Eric
AnswerID: 310011

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 23:15

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 23:15
Long before I retired I would tell people that I intended to spend a good deal of my pension/super/savings etc. on fuel to tour this land, and I certainly am.However when you plan your travels, your budget can't be so fixed that increased fuel prices prevent you from going. I've never come home from a trip to find fuel is cheaper than when I left. Bite the bullet, and hit the road. There are savings to be had in other areas that can offset rising fuel prices. It only seems to be fuel and food that are really getting high. Electrical goods, clothes etc. are all cheap, albeit made in China. No good going to the grave with a bank full of money you could have bought fuel with!!Travel Safe.

Roger B......
AnswerID: 310013

Reply By: justretired - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:30

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:30
Hi to everyone who replied to my question. As this is the first time I have used this Forum I was not sure how all this worked - it is just great!!! The feedback I received was so good, it has really given us more incentive to continue with our plans for travelling around Oz.
The advise to look at second hand vans and vehicles really makes a lot of sense. We set up a 'research' file a few months ago when we were getting close to settling the sale of our business and retiring. The information we have been gathering is so useful, especially as we are new to this.
Also, the comparison to the cost of travelling overseas v travelling Oz was so true. As we have never had the desire to go o'seas and have talked about eventually going around Oz all of this info has given me such a boost. I have friends/relies who have often gone on o'seas trips, none of which interested me at all - and the money this cost them was unbelievable!!
No more negativity from me, we will definitely continue to plan this trip, not sure when it will happen yet as we still have to find a car and van suitable for our travels. Personally I want a few creature comforts, like toilet/shower in the van, but only want one around 18-19'. Also, as we are only 58 we have a few issues to sort thru financially until we hit 60. But really hope to do this long before then.
All the advise on vehicles and fuel consumption etc., was really great too. We have been looking at a Holden Rodeo 4x4 on petrol, but maybe after all we have read this is not such a good choice, getting one and going onto LPG could be a better alternative.
Anyway, thanks so much for the replies, wishing you all happy travelling. I will read this site every day now and will let you know how we progress.
Have a great day out there - from : Justretired
AnswerID: 310056

Sponsored Links