Winches Feedback

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 13:05
ThreadID: 58762 Views:2286 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Excellent. I will be coming back to this page once I get my winch.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:08

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:08
Not a bad article but the following is not right;

"Remember a D Shackle (common galvanized hardware store variety) - as opposed to a Bow Shackle will not be rated for safety and will fail at considerably less stress levels".

There is nothing special about bow shackles over D shackles. You get 'rated' versions of both types.
AnswerID: 309998

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 21:31

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 21:31
Yes you are right about D Shackles being available rated (Article doesn't read quite right), but a bow shackle is special in the fact that for the same diametre pin they have a far greater rating (as much as twice) than a "D" & have more space for fibre recovery straps to fit making them a better choice in most recovery situations.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 576236

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 07:08

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 07:08
Hi Crackles, Not so I am afraid. There is no difference between 'D' shackles and 'Bow' shackles due to their design shape for loading at all. The 'Bow' shackle is simply shaped that way so that the load does not move when used to sling (lifting) loads that are being held by straps. The straps can be attached side by side and pull out at about 30 degrees from the vertical while the narrow top sits snug on a lifting hook. A wide top 'D' shackle can slde sideways on a lifting hook and the sudden jerk could cause a load to shift - very dangerous ! For some strange reason a lot of four wheel drive trainers seem to think that you should only use 'Bow' shackles. They probably read it in a four wheel drive mag sometime in the past and the myth seems to have bee perpetuated :-))

FollowupID: 576285

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:52

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:52
My mistake. I was comparing "M" grade Dees with "S" grade Bow shackles. Whoops different rating all together.
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 576374

Sponsored Links