Toyota LC ute New 70 series V8 turbo diesel problems

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:26
ThreadID: 58783 Views:41094 Replies:10 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
I have one of the new V8 turbo diesel utes. I have done 18,000km. There is a heavy knock in the engine when I start it up and I mean heavy. I slowly goes away as the motor warms up. ARB have just done a service for me but have recomended that I take it to the Toyota dealer as they think it may be piston slap. I have taken it to Toyota and they are looking at it at the moment. I will find the results on Monday. They think that if it is as bad as it sounds they may have to drop a new motor into it. Has anyone else had problems with this new model?

Skippy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madfisher - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:30

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:30
Thank your lucky stars it is a toyota and not a nissan.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 309985

Reply By: autosparky - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:36

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:36
is it a faulty injector type knock?
AnswerID: 309988

Follow Up By: Skippype - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:43

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:43
It is now a lot louder than a injector type knock I am afraid. That was what I first thought but it has got worse and worse over the past week. I will let you know on Monday night what Toyota think.
FollowupID: 575983

Follow Up By: Member QLD Steve & Lorraine Mc - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:04

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:04
Im with you Autosparky, I would say its a sticky electronic piezio injector which would sound like its ready to belt the bottom end out of whole motor, especially if its overfueling. Time will tell????
FollowupID: 576049

Follow Up By: Skippype - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 21:02

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 21:02
Autosparty
I hope you are right. I will find out tomorrow and let you know.
Skip
FollowupID: 576230

Reply By: qubert - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:37

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:37
go to caterpilar and get a 'sos' bottle. get some engine oil out of your sump ( don't get any dirt in it ) and send it in the bottle. it will tell you whats in the oil down to parts per million. they only cost 28 bucks . it takes about 10 days to hear results but if you do it for a long period ( 4 or 5 oil changes ) there may be a pattern forming ( eg high in aluminium or iron ect ) and you will have 'proof' that there is something wrong.
AnswerID: 309989

Follow Up By: Skippype - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:48

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 20:48
I have thought of that. The first thing that Toyota asked was what tpye of oil was used at the 10K service. I don't know the type but it was a Toyota dealer that did the service. I work on the oil rigs in the Cooper basin and it is my work ute. It gets a bit of a rough life out there but should be able to handle it. It is at Toyota in Bendigo at present and I am a bit reluctant to drive it back as I am afraid it is going to total the motor. We will see on Monday.
Skip
FollowupID: 575988

Reply By: Craigjackaroo - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 23:34

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 23:34
What kind of valve clearence method do these diesels employ?
Shims, adjustable rockers, hydraulic, auto backlash adjusters.
AnswerID: 310014

Reply By: Stu-k - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 07:16

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 07:16
Could be the ARB service they are useless...check they put oil back in it
AnswerID: 310027

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:24

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:24
I was talking to 2 fellows in Broken Hill last Nov. and they said that there were some problems with these Landcruiser Turbo V8s.

They kick their legs out of bed at about 25000 kilometres (rod through the block). One of these guys had one on order in his home town down on the Murray and I said shouldn't you be worried, he said "Nope, it's under warranty so they will have to fix it". Thats courage for you. Imagine being out of town in the sticks about a couple of hundred clicks and she blew.

Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 310043

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:27

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:27
should have added - don't buy one yet till they iron out this problem.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 576055

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:48

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:48
Maybe there is a problem looming with them?, Know of one in our area that definetley has had piston problems. ( Blown piston actually).

Axle.
FollowupID: 576073

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:48

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:48
Gazal.....that comment of yours is a bit being judge and jury on one motor!.......

you state "two blokes said etc"...and yet one said he was still going ahead with the purchase of of his despite his "knowledge" of the problem ?

and regardless of this being a "one of" or not it is very over reactive to state "dont buy one till they iron out the problem"

mine has done 10,000 to date and I rest easy with the knowledge of Toyotas reputation and also their attitude to warranty....why didn't I buy a Nissan?????
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 576074

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 16:40

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 16:40
I was surprised to hear the story about the Diesel V8s.

I would love to have one but, of course, I can't afford one - yet.

The persons telling me the story said that it was a not an uncommon fault, in that I read more than one motor, but several.

This was last Nov. and these vehicles had not been long released
about 12 months maybe, these guys came from Deniliquin and were fitting new solar equipement to the Telstra phone towers around Broken Hill.

Their work required them to use 4WD vehicles and being in the bush news, especially bad news, travells fast.

As someone who has gained from these pages I figure it is only fair to relay this story so that others may be wary, just as I would expect from others on these pages.

I am not being judgemental, I am sold on toyotas now that I own an 80 series.

Please, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger!

Regards,
Bruce

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 576151

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 18:18

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 18:18
Hi Bungarra,

In reviewing those comments you refered to I admit that they were over the top.

I will therefore retract that statement and suggest that Toyota will definitely get to the bottom of these problems, if the do exist, and I have no reason to doubt they do exist.

I should also have added that this Landcruiser that I own is my first Landcruiser and as such has sold me on them. I was telling the Handbrake that on the strength of this one I will never own anything but a Landcruiser, so long as I can afford to own one.

Bruce

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 576187

Follow Up By: Skippype - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 20:59

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 20:59
Bruce
I will know tomorrow what the problem is & will let everyone know the results.
This is my 1st Land Cruiser and I am very happy with it apart from the problems at the moment. It is certanialy the only vehicle that can take the rough country that I work in. I have tried or seen how the competition just does not make the grade. Even though the LC is more expensive than the rest the end result is a much more reliable vehicle over the long run.
I will post again tomorrow after the results come through from Toyota. I am hoping that it is only injector problems.
Skip
FollowupID: 576229

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 22:54

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 22:54
No worries...

just wanted to get the comments / debate in perspective.

hope all is well with the car on Monday
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 576255

Follow Up By: autosparky - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 20:55

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 20:55
i wil soon be able to let you know how good these engines are i have fitted 30 out for the wa police dept and 1 is due to return next month has done 50+ ks now in 6 months.
there was a problem with a certain mining co here that blew up 2 motors in the wet season by trying deep water crossings at speed and cracked the turbo housings .
FollowupID: 576407

Reply By: autosparky - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 22:40

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 22:40
i know of some mining cos buying up 100t/d again because the new 70 series diesels having problems with turbos , but that is because of water crossings with hot turbos, i am at present pricing up a ftd/td to fit in my 80 series as a project . i dont see the ftd as a problem it has been around in the us for a while .less than 5% of problems are caused by electrical failure and this may be one of them.
AnswerID: 310226

Follow Up By: Skippype - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:47

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:47
Bendigo Toyota today admit that something is drastically wrong. They don't know what yet and are waiting for their Melbourne office for a comment. I have to give them a call again tomorrow but I am not holding my breath.
Skip
PS I have not been through any water in the vehicle so that is not the problem.
Looks like I will be hiring a vehicle for the next few weeks while they sort it out and that will not be cheap.
FollowupID: 576431

Reply By: autosparky - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 23:07

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 23:07
please advise as to the damage , get toyota to pay for hire vehicle or take one out of stock , new , used or demo
AnswerID: 310430

Follow Up By: Skippype - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:40

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:40
Autosparky
Toyota just called and informed me that it is an injector over supplying one cylinder. They are hunting down a new one. Apparently they are short as hens teeth. They know that I need the vehicle this weekend for two weeks. They say that even if they can't get an injector in time it is quite alright for me to take the ute back to work for a couple of weeks. ( min 4000km ). We will see what happens. It is a relief to know that it is only the injectors though.
Skip
FollowupID: 576557

Follow Up By: autosparky - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 19:36

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 19:36
thats great news . why is it overfueling? is the injector or is it that mouse trap of wires on the passenger and drivers side that controlls it? in most cases with electronics there is an immediate 5% failure rate
FollowupID: 576608

Follow Up By: offroad Bob - Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 16:25

Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 16:25
Hi Skippype
I too have a LC70 v8 ute from Jan 08 and after 12000k it has developed a very loud engine knock when cold. Once it warms up it is barely noticeable. Pulling a heavy work trailer it is really loud cold. I put it into toyota who took all the readings and sent the details of to head toyota. The local agent said it was an engine knock caused by an injector overfueling but that there was nothing wrong with the injector. They said it was perfectly OK to keep driving. They are awaiting head toyota reply and feel it will be some sort of computer programing change or update.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 580876

Reply By: toyocrusa - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 14:25

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 14:25
This site is new to me so I have borrowed my brothers sign on details.
I will join up myself when we get settled somewhere as we have just retired.
I'm looking forward to getting started "on the road to somewhere" but here's the problem,
I bought a new 2xTD 200 series Sahara last year when they were first released and it used 2.5ltrs of oil in the first 10,000K's. It's still using oil but not quite as much in the next 3000k's it has done.
Although Toyota have said they will stand by their product this is not much help if the engines are going to play up like I have read on this site and break down in the middle of the bush.
They have also said that they tried to build in longevity into the engines by using harder material in pistons, rings and cylinder sleeves so it may not have bedded in just yet.
This is all well and good, but mine also seems a bit noisier than when it was new, when it's started cold as well.
I hope that these are not going to turn into "lemons" as it is a great vehicle and one that I had hoped to keep for some time.
It will be towing a 3T caravan.
Hope it turns out well for you Skippype, I'll keep watching for results.

AnswerID: 310519

Follow Up By: Skippype - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:51

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:51
Well I have just had a call from Toyota Bendigo to let me know that the problem is an injector that is supplying too much fuel one cylinder. That's a great relief as it is by far the best 4 x 4 I have ever had. I will be keeping it after I retire (65 now and don't want to stop work just yet. 2 weeks on and weeks off is just about retirement anyway and keeps me out of the wifes' hair). I work in far western Qld on the oil rigs and the boys from out this way have been telling me about the new V8 engines using a lot of oil. No horror stories just that they do use oil. Mine doesn't but that knock was worrying me. If all it is is an injector as Toyota says then that's no problem.
I just replied to Autosparkys post in this thread telling him basicly the same thing.
This is also the first time I have used this web site and I have been staggered by the response. Good to know that there is some where to share experiences.
Skip
FollowupID: 576560

Reply By: autosparky - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 21:59

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 21:59
said mining co rererred by my self speaking to the service manager 6 t/d utes aside with turbo problems 3 with the problem you are having . he has said problems with fuel have caused partial blockage to filter and so reduces flow to pump, these pumps run at real high pressures , reduced flow will cause lack of lubrication to pump components and pump bits will end up in injectors blocking them.
AnswerID: 311311

Follow Up By: Skippype - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 08:08

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 08:08
Toyota assures me that the problem is either injectors or the CPU causing incorrect amounts of fuel to get through. I picked it up yesterday. They have not corrected the problem as yet & I am taking the ute back to work this morning. Toyota have given me permission in writing that it will be OK to take it back to work and return in 2 weeks when they will have the final results of their tests and the parts to fix it.
Hope it does not explode on some back track before then. I feel confident though. I would not be taking it if I didn't.
Skip

PS thanks for all the comments.
FollowupID: 577370

Sponsored Links