Frenchman's Track advice

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 18:42
ThreadID: 58817 Views:6490 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I need advice on Frenchman's track. I have heard and read that this track is very difficult and the pasco river is deep.

I am intending to travel this track in early August as one 4x4 only to get to Chilli beach / Iron range.

The idea is to do a loop on the way home - Frenchman's track in and the southern track out via Batavia Goldfields out to minimise back tracking.
Does this sound reasonable and is the frenchman's track as scary as they say?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:11

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:11
It depends on what you call scary. It can be boggy and slippery if there's much water around. I've been stuck for a few hours in a small creek on that track. The Pascoe crossing can look quite "scary". Walk it first so you know where the edges are and how deep it is. You'll find the other side steep but should be no worries. There used to be a bit of a camp spot on the north side...
Really depends upon your driving skills and experiences I'd guess.
AnswerID: 310160

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:25

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:25
WN,

If you are doing this trek on your sth bound run then I think you should be fine. The nthn section of the OTL will "harden" you up enough to cope with the Frenchman's track. The Pascoe was quite deep when I went through many years ago in a Pathfinder towing an offroad trailer. It was one of only 4 rivers that got my windscreen wet and this was right at the end of the dry season (end Oct start Nov).

No matter how hard it is, Iron Range, Chilli beach and Portland rds would be one of a few highlights on most people's cape trip, so get into it and enjoy every bump and every crossing there is.

Take your tarp and don't be scared to use it.

Safe travels,
Trevor.
AnswerID: 310167

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:31

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 19:31
Hi
Depends on the vehicle, as to wether its easy or hard.

There are always a few rocks you need to dodge, by August level should be down a bit.

I have 2 shots - One of the crossing and the other of the sand bank on the Northern side of the crossing on my profile below. (August/Sept 06)
Also a video clip HERE with a few still shots of the Pascoe crossing ( just after halfway through the clip where there is a change of music) you will see the a series of still shots as the White Patrol crosses with a spotter watching that the vehicle misses the larger rocks underwater.

We crossed after the big floods in 2006 so maybe not so bad this year.
Enjoy the trip

Kerry W
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 310168

Follow Up By: WorkingNavara - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:04

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:04
Thanks for that. Photo's look great and the video.
Looks like a steep sand exit/entry on the Pasco.
I understand the need to walk the crossings but is that advisable in this part of the country (crocks)? What about all the other crossings on the telli track?
Is it a weigh up of loose your life or car?
Do the crocks stay away from the crossings due to the traffic?

FollowupID: 576315

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 08:32

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 08:32
We have done this crossing twice and the last time with a trailer. We did have a small issue on both occassions (driver error) where the wheel placement going up the other side was not the best and had to retry. I will always have fond memories of this part of our trip.

Also look at my photos there is one there as we approach the Pascoe.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 310266

Sponsored Links