Thanks for all the replies

Submitted: Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 13:51
ThreadID: 58848 Views:2583 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
A few days ago I asked the question 'is it still viable to buy a 4WD and van to travel Oz'. I was really amazed at how many replies I received. I did send a reply, but as this is my first time using this site I don't know if I did this the right way, so that's why I am writing another message.
All replies were very greatfully received and had such great advise. Especially the comparison of travelling Oz v O'Seas. Not having ever wanted to go o'seas ourselves we do have several friends/relies who have spent a small fortune just putting their bums on airplane seats before anything else!!! These same people have seen very little of their own beautiful country. I know what my choice is. I now realize how wrong we were to doubt what we have been planning to do for so long. Not having had a decent holiday (more than 4 days!!!) for the past 15 years due to business commitments this is a really big thing for us. After reading all your replies and reading other articles on the Forum, we are really looking forward to finally achieving our dream to do this trip. We are currently looking around for the right vehicle and van for us. This is a pretty daunting task but we are learning a lot which is a good thing. We have been looking at buying a Holden Rodeo 4x4 crew cab and would like a van around 18-19' with toilet and shower. Any advise that anyone can give on these choices would be very well received.
That's it from me, hope you all have a really great day out there, and happy travelling.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 14:29

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 14:29
Good to hear your going to join us in the travelling life!

Good luck with your searches, the trader on here is always good to keep an eye on. Its an addictive life so watch out!!

Laura
AnswerID: 310322

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 15:15

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 15:15
Although I am a Nissan owner, I suggest that you have a look at the Mitsubishi Triton Diesel dual cab, it has 3 ton towing capacity with 300kg ball load plus the 3.2ltr intercooled Turbo. With a 5yr guarantee plus it is value for money.

Glad to see we have another Nomad and happy travels.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 310334

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:32

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:32
If you are going to look seriously at the Triton, make sure you go for a LONG test drive as I have heard they aren't the most comfortable vehicle on the road.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 576420

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:35

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:35
Goon onyer just retired. Moama hey, it's a great part of the world, my wife & spent a week there last Sept. in the Moama caravan park.
A crew cab, in my opinion is a good choice, room for another couple now & then if needed & heaps of room in the back. A canopy in my opinion is essential.
Some people like pop tops others like full vans. We are on our second pop top, but I sometimes think that if you had experience with both set ups, then a full van would be the way to go.

We recently updated to a bit bigger van, 18'6'', with a toot & shower, stayed with the pop top configuration because they are cheaper than full vans & easy to set up. Not near as much storage, but still ample after you educate your wife that supermarkets etc. actually exist in places other than where you live!!

We also changed to two single bunks because they are longer ( I am tall) and we find there is more usable space around the sleeping quarters when compared to an island bed. Plus I am at that stage in my life where I don't get the urge often to be young again!!

We stuck with Jayco, yes they build to a price & there is better quality out there without doubt. However we have not had any problems, and if you care to walk around a caravan park you will note that Jayco dominate the market.
It's just a matter of price & affordability, some people drive a BMW, others a commodore, both are reliable vehicles.

We chose a late model (2005) second hand unit that had only had one owner & are very happy with it.
Hope that helps, good luck & safe travelling.
AnswerID: 310359

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 23:58

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 23:58
Jayco's are so popular over here in WA that they are pinching them......ours is a jayco and we luv her....
FollowupID: 576461

Follow Up By: justretired - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 13:23

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 13:23
Thanks Barry F for your advise - all sounds good to me. We are currently looking at lots of different ads etc., to try and find the right one. Glad you liked your visit to my part of this great country last Sept. Nice time of year then too, not too hot.
FollowupID: 576725

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:25

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:25
Hi justretired, a few years ago we were in the position you are in, we wanted to do 4WDing as well as caravanning so we bought an 18ft Jayco Westport that was two years old, it had only one owner who hadn't even used the oven or anything for that matter. Some things were still wrapped in their plastic. We then searched and found a Patrol 4.2 TD for towing it and our outback trips. (ie: CSR GRR GCR Tanami etc.) it was about 4 years old but had only done 55,000 ks We have been more than happy with our choices. So if you look around long enough (it took us some searching before we found what we were looking for) you will find it, in fact you will know it is the one as soon as you see it.

Just one tip (others may disagree) I would buy the van first and then get the tow vehicle accordingly.

Enjoy your travels as we do.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 310370

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:42

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:42
Yep, I couldn't agree more Dunworkin, regarding buy the van first.
It is so important that it runs a very close second to having the right Frig for your beer. Get these two factors right & all else will fall into place. LOL & cheers.
FollowupID: 576386

Follow Up By: justretired - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 13:25

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 13:25
Thanks Dunworkin - like others who have posted replies to me this sounds really good advise which we will definitely take note of. Its so good receiving such positive replies and info. Much appreciated. Happy travelling.
FollowupID: 576726

Reply By: jomah - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:51

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:51
Yeah, I agree; buy van first and then vehicle capable of towing it. When buying vehicle look not only at legal towing capacity but also at towing capability (torque). Many have suggested twin cab ute but we went for wagon for the simple reason that we are able to sleep in the back of it when we ditch the van & head off on an excursion somewhere, Something we have done many times in the 18 months we have been on the road. Look for a wagon where the seats fold flat (Jeep, Pathfinder). Makes for a more comfortable bed.
AnswerID: 310374

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:29

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:29
I agree also with the posts above, justretired.

Get the van that you like first, there again, you will know it when you see it.

Then get the car that will do the job with power to spare and you will never have to worry about the car being too small for the job.

Congratulations on a good decission and all the best

PS I/ll be down your way come Oct. Nov. in our 18.5 Gazal Champion with a white cruiser out front NSW number plate OUY???
give us a shout if you see us.
Regards,
Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 310407

Follow Up By: justretired - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 13:30

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 13:30
Hi Gazal Champion - again thanks for your reply and the advise. I will look out for you to pass through this great part of the country in Oct/Nov and will definitely give you a wave if I see you????
You will really enjoy it here at that time of year - watch out for the Melbourne Cup weekend (31/10 - 4/11) as Echuca has a race meeting on Tues 4th (cup day) too, it is a huge w/end here and the whole town usually books out - but it is a great time to be here.
Happy travelling
FollowupID: 576729

Sponsored Links