Condensation in Van

Submitted: Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 14:39
ThreadID: 58851 Views:12776 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We purchased a Jayco Hawk Outback at the start of the year and have had many great trips to date. We are planning on going to the snow this July holidays and camping at Jindabyne. The only problem I feel we will have is condensation in the van mostly the bed ends. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to reduce or stop condensation in camper vans.

We will be running a oil heater most of the time.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 15:07

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 15:07
You will not be able to stop condensation completely.
Get a small elec blow heater that has a thermostat and leave it on set to your comfort level and the movement of air it creates will help a lot. Also if there is any exposed metal such as struts etc toy can purchase some foam pipe insulation to cover it and this really helps no end.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 310331

Reply By: Member - David B (NSW) - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:03

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:03
I found this in a caravan forum - cannot speak from experience

Drip...drip... drip:
Wherever two or more A'vanners gather together, you can guarantee sooner or later, the subject of condensation comes up. Condensation usually occurs at sun up after a very cold night, particularly in humid conditions. Moisture in the air, usually from our breath, condenses on most metal surfaces and can cause all sorts of problems as water droplets fall off the roof or, even worse, soak into the wall and floor surfaces. Experiences vary from "no problem whatsoever" to horror stories of ruined books and a saturated video recorder.

A'van Campers suggest leaving open windows and/or the roof vents, but in our experience the effect on reducing condensation is marginal. Other solutions vary from "sticking masking tape on all the metal surfaces" (Jim Wright, 2560), to holidaying in Mudgee mid-winter, when the condensation promptly freezes on the metalwork - you can scratch your name in the frost but no drips (not for a while anyway)!

A novel approach has been suggested by a member

The perennial "condensation" problem - solved in one with a product called Damp-Rid, available in Coles and (probably) most large supermarkets. Comes in a box like a milk carton. I've made a small version of the original container, utilising a small bowl which fits neatly into the top of a screw-top plastic jar (holes in the bottom of the bowl of course). When stationary, open the cap and the crystals in the bowl absorb extraneous water, depositing it in the bottom of the jar. Screw cap on for travelling (after emptying water from jar). Replace crystals as necessary.

AnswerID: 310343

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:06

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:06
Hi CAS471
On the Jayco we had many years ago, we had the same problem.
I finally solved it by gluing a builders insulation under the mattress area. The insulation comes in sheets from builders suppliers. It is polystyrene about 10 or 12 mm thick with an aluminium foil glued to one side. I cut this to shape, and glued with a pva glue, poly side down.
Regards
Neil
AnswerID: 310344

Reply By: Member - John G- Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:11

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:11
G'day

Check out www.hypervent.com.au

I haven't used but it comes up frequently when the topic of condensation is raised and mostly in the context of reducing damp under mattresses.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 310345

Follow Up By: a convict - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:30

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 16:30
..thanks for the link Member John G, I went to web site, looks good.
FollowupID: 576354

Follow Up By: a convict - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:15

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:15
Profile ' Towing Tvan - "goannalong" '

..please forgive my ignorance, but who makes the van type "goannalong", pictured in your profile, ..and how does it go?

tks..
FollowupID: 576365

Follow Up By: Member - John G- Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:46

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:46
G'day convict

It's a Tvan made by Tracktrailer in Victoria. On our shakedown trip we shared a camping spot with a big goanna for three days - hence the nick name 'goannalong'.

How does it go? it's a beauty. Pretty much best suited for a couple though, rather than a family camper trailer. It's features etc are best viewed on tracktrailer's website.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 576430

Follow Up By: a convict - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 22:17

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 22:17
..many thanks for that, I'll go check the website now.
FollowupID: 576437

Reply By: Ray - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:53

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 18:53
Do what my son-in-law did. He used it once and traded it in.
AnswerID: 310375

Reply By: obee - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 19:56

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 19:56
An aircon will keep the air dry and I use the vehicle aircon mostly in winter for that reason. Of course I can turn the heater on at the same time in the car to stop from freezing and it works a treat. In a park you could run an electric heater and aircon but we are not always in a park where we can get power.

I have a camper and I mostly use a fly that covers the entire tent. You would e surprised how much heat it stops from radiating up into space. Therefore the walls dont get so cold and condense the moisture so much. It should work in a van too. Try and keep some air space between the van and the tarp.

Owen
AnswerID: 310384

Reply By: jolo - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 20:00

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 20:00
Using external end flys over the canvas roof sections if you have a camper trailer helps to reduce the condensation on the internal canvas surface.
AnswerID: 310385

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:59

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:59
Do what we do and just leave the corner or each end of the bed end open. There will usually be just enough breeze to allow air flow and the condensation not to form.

Yes it will make it a little cooler inside but canvas doesn't do much anyway. I'd rather throw on an extra blanket than have moisture inside my camper....especially if you want to head away early!!!
AnswerID: 310414

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 05:43

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 05:43
We have a Trak Shak camper trailer, and get condensation in too.
Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, depending on weather conditions
If we are tripping, I have a tendancy to air our the matresses, whilst we are having breakfast. then its pack up time and off we go.

When we get to the next camp spot, I then everything is aired out again, ( usually in the warmth of the late afternoon )
Doesn't seem to matter that much, if we are on the move daily

If we are camped up in the same spot for a number of days, I air the mattresses, ect, for a few hrs daily
On the morning of our pack up and come home, if its cooler, I just wait till evrything is dry. Failing that, as soon as we get home, I pop it open, under the pergola, for a couple of days.( works a treat ) then the camper may not go out for 2 - 3 months

Nothing beats natural drying.

AnswerID: 310441

Sponsored Links