1976 HJ45 Turbo

Submitted: Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 20:17
ThreadID: 58862 Views:3664 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everybody. I have a question about a particular non-factory turbo that is installed to my HJ45 Landcruiser, as I am not very familiar with turbos. There is a small steel braided type hose (like a brake hose) that is going from the oil sender unit to the top of the turbo. Is this some kind of automatic lubrication system for the bearing? Won't this affect the oil pressure reading (because it does give a low reading @ high RPM). The turbo is a ROTO MASTER AR60. It is ancient (about 25-30yo)! I checked the impeller and it seems to spin freely i.e. it doesn't drag, but how 'free spinning' should the impeller be? Also, because it doesn't have a turbo timer, do I need to run the engine for a while before stopping the engine?

Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matthew C - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 20:47

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 20:47
Ok that steel line is the oil feed for the turbo bearings,without it the turbo will fail.The turbo will not cause any great loos in oil pressure unless the bearings are absolutely knackered and you would know.

Rotomaster yes very old and hard to get parts for,if its spinning freely and the compressor wheel is not rubbing on the housing i would say it is fine.

Normally by the time you have pulled up to where you want to stop the turbo has cooled down enough to not warrant a turbo timer but it is personal preference.

The AR60 is only the size of the comp cover vs comp wheel.

MAtt
AnswerID: 310395

Reply By: Rock Ape - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:10

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 21:10
Matt has nailed it, don't get down and think you have lost oil pressure as senders and gauges over the years fail. Take it to someone in your area and get the oil pressure checked on their gauge before worrying. I had a similar problem where after a 100k the pressure would drop. Bloody gauge!

keep it down to a steady roar
The Ape
AnswerID: 310402

Sponsored Links