Discretionary spending to continue travelling

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:03
ThreadID: 58883 Views:2486 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I was very surprised at the number of views (over 680 in 36 hours) to my thread 58829.
Fuel prices are a threat to many who are traveling or planning to travel. I have been watching various web sites in recent weeks and most say they will modify their spending habits when traveling just to save.
In this fuel crisis there will be winners and losers. The winners will be fuel companies and those still fortunate to travel our country and enjoy what it has to offer. For many to enjoy traveling they will reduce their spending to offset the high fuel cost there by creating losers. In my case the trip around Australia will cost me about $1700 more ($17 per day). I intend to pick up this extra cost by adopting many ideas about to be used by others, example I will travel slower, stay at free camp sites once per week, not eat out as frequently, carry that jerry can to avoid high prices at remote road houses, avoid high priced tourist fees, (quoted $53 pp recently for a two hour boat ride, for two that’s $106 money now stays in my pocket) I will bargain harder, not buy souvenirs’, etc. etc. but enjoy myself at the same time. An old saying 10% profit on something is better than 100% of nothing.
It is called discretionary spending and for those who operate a business that services the likes of the above there are thousands of us that are coming your way (albeit thousands less than previous).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:15

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:15
G'day Avan,

I suppose this would be the DIY traveller much like the DIY renovator and DIY everything else because either the service gotten too dear or the suppliers don't care.

If the trend becomes popular we'll probably see the government step in to regulate those activities like needing a licence to do that for safety and environmental reasons.

I suppose I better get moving before that happens.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 310474

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:43

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:43
We will continue to travel and do the same. But. What happens to the communities along the way? All the prices to bring in their supplies continue to rise, but we get there by cutting back on the $ we spend locally. The boat trip has to put his prices up. His sales decline..........A lot of communities are going to go under. It's a no win situation however you look at it.
AnswerID: 310478

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:03
Agree
FollowupID: 576507

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:01

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:01
In terms of my travelling budget, if I have $200 to spend on fuel each week then I will drive that far and stop for the rest of the week. I suspect a lot of pensioners have been doing this for years. Problem is in a year or two I might only get to the end of the road and have to wait another 7 days to get around the corner. LOL.

Mike.
AnswerID: 310481

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:28

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:28
"The winners will be fuel companies and....."

Another way to see this IF because of the fuel price we all STOPPED travelling then WE have lost and they have won....it makes me more determind to find a way to do it and not be intimidated or afraid and just stay at home....and you have suggested ways to adjust to change....
AnswerID: 310484

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 13:25

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 13:25
We will also continue to travel as & when inclined. Having already
ascertained that slowing down will reduce fuel costs by 30%, that
is the main strategy we will use too, as well as bush camping
whenever possible, particularly for overnight stops. I guess we are already miserable tourists as we rarely eat out when touring & only
do the paid tours if we consider them to be reasonable value for money. I have sympathy for those trying to run tours/trips as the
overheads are high, particularly Insurances. Our only other strategy
is to run a "Holiday Only" 4WD. Sourced cheaply to avoid depreciation, added a DIY C/t, & all up we are capable of any
outback or other touring for a Capital cost of less than $20k. Many
find it necessary ,or desirable to spend more than that on a C/t
alone, & thats fine, but if you are really serious about reducing
holiday costs, you must use all options available.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 310508

Sponsored Links