Cruise Control

Submitted: Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 08:01
ThreadID: 5924 Views:2069 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
3Ltr GU Patrol has anybody fitted an Auscruise cruise control to a 3ltr Patrol do they work well and are their any known problems with them. I have been told to fit a cable one that uses a stork on the steering column by a supplier. I was hopeing to get it fitted next week.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenno - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 13:55

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 13:55
I have a new 3lt TD Hilux that runs drive by wire acceleration. I ummed and arrred over the $200 dollar difference between the cheaper US made old style cruise, and the new Auscruise style unit. I gave Auscruise a call and after talking to them for 30mins they answered all my questions and explained that their Cruise control unit is the only unit in the world (yes the world) that talks directly to the car computer. It is technically far superior to anything else on the market. The reason why the unit is more expensive is that every car computer is different. Plus if you have any complaints with it, they can upload any custom mods you require to its control unit.

I spoke to Joe at Auscruise and I am proud to say I run an Aussie designed and manufactured cruise control unit that is the best on the market.

I have no connection to Auscruise, except to say when i find a good aussie product with good local support ill give it a plug.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 24697

Follow Up By: BurnieM - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 17:28

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 17:28
Not meaning to be rude but have you EVER heard a manufacturer/distributor say their own product was cr*p ?

Having said that the general feedback I get is that Auscruise is a reasonable product (as is VDO). I have yet to see a comparison test of cruise controls.

Generic question; Is interfacing directly with the car computer good or bad ? Why ?

I remember seeing an ad years ago for mag wheels (before they were standard options) with a truck on top of a mag wheel on it's side. Only one problem with this; mag wheels almost never come under this sort of side force (more up and down) so really it proved nothing.
FollowupID: 16620

Reply By: Glenno - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 17:56

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 17:56
Good point. I didnt except him to say his was cr@p, he just explained why its better to interface with the car computer, as thats how the drive by wire works, rather using the potentiometer or vacum cruise controls work. Plus their system is the only system that wont run the risk of throttle jam.

What i did forget to say was that auscruise has just been fitted a unit to Anthony Kilner's car (the journo with the 80 series from 4wd Monthly) and an article is coming out in the next few issues.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 24718

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 18:08

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 18:08
I got one on my 3.0 litre manual and they're excellent, totally transformed the car for ease of driving, especially on the open road, I got the steering wheel controls and they look like OE stuff, give the stalk the flick they are a blight on the GU landscape. Auscruise is a bit expensive but well worth the dollars.

Make sure you get a clutch switch thrown in and COMPARE prices across all fitters, get their names off the auscruise website and call around, I saved $200 with just a few phonecalls..Great things

All the bestSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 24725

Reply By: Member - Errol (WA) - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 18:46

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 18:46
Read my post 6 july about policeman . My advice , go for the Auscruise , with a stering wheel mounted control , dont go for the stork ! ive had mine fited for about 6 months now and now woun,t be without it .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
AnswerID: 24727

Reply By: Andrew - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 00:05

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 00:05
Crow

ABSOLUTLEY, DEFINATELY GO THE AUSCRUISE.

I have the 3.0td manual and have had both types. I have given this subject a splurge in previous posts(have look) but in short, I had the cable type fitted by the dealer when I bought the car new. It was crap and after several trips back to try and fix it, NO GOOD.

I later found out about the Auscruise and after discussions with my dealer, he fitted it free.

It is perfect. The units are designed 'vehicle specific' so the cruise control for your car is for your car only (3.0td's that is) and talks to your ECU. No vaccum leads involved or anything like that.

If I put in on 100k/ph thats exactly were it stays. The only time it differs and I mean the only time! is on a steep incline were you get a bit of a sling shot effect as you go over the hill but it quickly returns to the set speed, smoothly,

I can give you more info on this if you want but its a bit long winded. If you want more, say so I we can arrange a talk.

O'h another thing. I have seen memo's from a certain company which direct people to not install cable type controls to drive by wire cars because of safety issues.

Just get the Auscruise.

NO, I have no interest or affiliation whatsoever with the company.
AnswerID: 24754

Follow Up By: kyneton macca- Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 00:27

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 00:27
fitted a k mart cruise control to my new patrol and works perfectly and keeps perfect speed
my wifes and daughters car and the rest of the neighbourhood have kmart cruise controls
never heard any complaints or units failing
the retired guy across the road fits them for $60 and does a neat job
cable type cruise controls have been around for years and dont give problems all our trucks are using cable controls
FollowupID: 16652

Follow Up By: The Crow - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 20:12

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 20:12
Thanks I have decided to let the dealer fit an eletronic pad one recomended by nissan quoted price $700 fitted if anything goes wrong I can take it back to him. Having 30000k service at the same time no problems yet except a small oil leak that seems to be coming from the bung at the front of the motor.
FollowupID: 16675

Reply By: Billowaggi - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 00:30

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 00:30
K-Mart cruise control and back yard fitter, what a joke!
AnswerID: 24814

Sponsored Links