Heat in transmission tunnel - Frontera

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 15:27
ThreadID: 5962 Views:2813 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I know there are not many Frontera owner members but I would like to hear from them, or anyone else if they know someone with a Frontera, if they have a problem with the temperature generated on the cabin surface of the transmission tunnel. Where my leg rests can, on a hot day in traffic, reach 44 deg C. Under normal driving summer conditions will be about 34 deg C. In my mind this is unacceptable but Holden say is normal!!??. It might be normal to them but but I think it is a problem as to combat the heat generated I virtually have to have the Air con working all the time. Not only this but I think I am cooking my leg.
I would like to hear if anyone else has the problem in order to undertake a combined effort to get Holden to fix it.

Also does anyone know of a snorkel available for a Frontera?

RichardRichard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rowie - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 16:17

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 16:17
This is a common problem in modern vehicles which is not isolated to the Frontera. It's caused by there being no insulation under the carpet. Holden will try to fobb you off saying there's nothing wrong. They are aware of the issue, but don't want to know about it as it will cost them money to address a problem they caused by penny pinching back at the factory. The only way you will fix it, is to remove the interior fixtures (seats carpet etc) and fit proper high quality sound deadening insulation to the metal floor, which will also cut down heat radiation into the interior.

I've performed the same surgery on my previous vehicle, a Series II VT Commodore S/W. The material I used I got from my cousin who is a panel beater. It is the same stuff Holden use at the factory on the Commodore sedan. Holden stick it to the exterior of the plastic petrol tank to insulate it from the radient heat of the rear muffler. It is a very dense black foam, about 3mm thick & has a thin layer of Aluminum on one side. The other side is adhesive. Next time you are at a dealership ask to see a VX or VY sedan up on the hoist and look at the stuff stuck to the pertol tank.

The difference it made to my Commodore was enormous. . It can easily be done in a day. With an able bodied assistant it is very easy.

Tinted windows are also a wise investment in cutting down heat intrusion if you haven't done so already.

Once you've fitted the insulation, it will cut down road noise significantly, as well as deliver big fuel savings.

Why wasn't this done at the factory you ask. To save probably about $10.00 of production cost.

Cheers and good luck,
Rowie.
AnswerID: 24842

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 20:42
Cheers, I will have to hunt around for some insulation. Personally I think Holden should do it but I suppose chasing them would be like throwing cream puffs at the town hall. I already have tinted windows.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 16901

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 17:08

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 17:08
not a frontera but a cpl of years ago in our gq on the way to qld about 3 in the morning the car started filling with smoke.
a cpl of jackets under the back seat got that hot from the floor they cought fire.
lucky for the $20 fire extinguisher i say.new job coming so no fraser this time:-((
AnswerID: 24846

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 20:43

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 20:43
Ouch.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 16902

Reply By: Phil R - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 17:33

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 17:33
Hi

Seems like a common problem with lots of makes, I have 75 series that gets hot
around the transmission tunnel. See post 3795, your not the only one !!!.

Phil
AnswerID: 24849

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:03

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:03
Its nice to know I have a common problem. Perhaps 4WDers need to revolt. As I get on in years I am getting more sick and tired of being fobbed off by private enterprise on what I consider to be there problem. My wife has just kicked th soap box from under me but I suppose you get the message. Thangs for taking the trouble to reply.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 17476

Reply By: Mixo - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 17:38

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 17:38
For what its worth........probably is "normal" within the terms of design for that vehicle. I had a Mazda Bravo that did the very same - too hot to leave your leg there for long. Without the trim, one may have got burnt in the summer. The maker probably knows this but hey....do they really care ?Gotta have red sand on those boots !
AnswerID: 24850

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:04

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:04
As I said above. Its nice to know I have a common problem. Perhaps 4WDers need to revolt. As I get on in years I am getting more sick and tired of being fobbed off by private enterprise on what I consider to be there problem. My wife has just kicked th soap box from under me but I suppose you get the message. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 17477

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 18:26

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 18:26
I spoke to my mechanic some time ago about the same thing with my "grey import" Nissan and he said that this situation was "normal". Fortunately mine only gets hot when it has to work pretty hard. I like the idea about the extra insulation though.
cheers
AnswerID: 24851

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:32

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:32
Keep in mind that a lot of these cars are manufactured in countries where they don't have our kind of climate. The Frontera is an example, made in the USA.

I've seen a 2000 Frontera with a snorkel. I asked the driver about it and he says it's an adapted Rodeo snorkel. Unfortunately he was in a rush and couldn't give me anymore info. While this Frontera had a snorkel, it was dressed up in such a manner that made me think it has never been offroad. The 17" chrome rims with Bridgestone low profile Dueler HP's on them is a bit of a giveaway. As were the dark tinted headlights.

I'm not sure as to whether the airbox on the Frontera and Rodeo are in the same position, but if they are then the Rodeo snorkel is a possibility. It may be worth enquiring with ARB or Airtec about this.
AnswerID: 24982

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 20:46
Up there for thinking, down there for dancing. My brotherin law has a diesel Rodeo with a snorkel. Next time I see him I will take a look.
Cheers.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 16903

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:07

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:07
Had a look at the diesel version and I think it would take too much hackning to fit. I will have to look out for a petrol version and see if it is any different.
CheersRichard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 17478

Reply By: Slunnie - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 00:43

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 00:43
I had the V6 SE Frontera when they first came out. I found with my one that the auto used to overheat whenever extra load was put onto it, such as towing and sand driving. The dash light never came on, though it did go into "limp mode" as the service manager called it, which is where it holds higher gears and locks the torque converter.

Regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 25064

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:09

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:09
I suppose one thing I could look at is fitting an oil cooler to the gearbox. Mine is an auto as well. If the gearbox is getting that hot under load it is not going to last too long.
Cheers.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 17479

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 23:28

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 23:28
Absolutely Richard, even though they don't say it is needed, I would highly recommend one.

Regards
Slunnie
FollowupID: 17482

Reply By: WAYNED - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:47

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:47
Have just aquired a 2000 se frontera and have experienced the same heat thru floor & tunnel especially when in sand. Being new to this off road caper thought it to be the norm because of work load. will now have to rethink and be a bit more aware of it. regarding snorkel have tried both arb & tjm and been told by both nothing available off the shelf. at one store a tjm worker has a frontera & is apparently experimenting with a rodeo snorkel to see if it will fit with a bit of modification but no news to date. he apparently can't bring himself to cut holes in case it doesn't work. don't blame him @ all. if by chance u get any news on availability for a frontie please let me know.
AnswerID: 27801

Sponsored Links