Nissan Patrol vs Pajero NP

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 20:37
ThreadID: 5967 Views:12389 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
After reading words of wisdom here am I right in thinking that given the choice between a Patrol 3lt diesel or Pajero NP - a Patrol would be your choice (with winch). 2 people 2 dogs suburb driving but about 2000 monthly tripping around victoria tenting. Looking at new car.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 20:58

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 20:58
Twandy consider the new Prado, even though it's dearer, it's a huge step up the 4WD ladder and of course top of the tree is the Cruiser.
AnswerID: 24869

Follow Up By: tristjo - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 21:11

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 21:11
Bob,

Depends what you want as to wether the Cruiser is "the top of the tree".

IMHO, the new Cruisers are not as good as the previous models. They have gone soft with the IFS, they are overpriced, and are not as mechanicly solid as the oldies.

They might make a nice blackotp, or backroad tourer, but if that's all you wanted, I could think of a lot of cheaper options to the 70k Tojo!! The big turbo diesel does tow well though, but at that price, it'd want to.

Twandy, you need to decide wether you want a 4x4 for going offroad, or just for "poking around".

Good luck with your search.

Tristjo.

FollowupID: 16743

Follow Up By: Bob - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 21:53

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 21:53
Sorry Tristjo, I wasn't even considering cost when I said Cruisers are the top of the tree. I was simply referring to their off road ability, reliability and build quality. Just can't follow the argument that if they cost more they move down from the top of the tree. To the doubters, if you ever go to anyreal off road destinations - remote, difficult areas you'll find a predominance of diesel cruisers!
FollowupID: 16822

Follow Up By: tristjo - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:33

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:33
Bob,

Yes, mate, the old Cruisers were pretty tough, and yes, the oldies are quite capeable offroad. But Twandy is buying a new vehicle.

The new Cruisers have gone SOFT!! They are not the off road beasts of old, and will not prove to be as strong as even the last of the rigid axled 100's. Independent suspension will be the death of the Cruiser. In my beleif, it will soon be nothing more than toorak tractor. The amount of computer controlled, traction enhancing devices on the new Cruiser is scary. What were they trying to do??? Make it as capeable as the rigid version?? Well they HAVEN'T succeeded!! There are still many questions over these systems' long term durability and effectivness.

And mate, another thing to mention. I have been to MANY serious offroad destinations. As well as the large ammount of Cruisers, there seems to be a bucket load of Patrols!! And as for hardcore competition offroading, were reliability and extreme durability are paramount, Nissans are the dominant choice.

In the last Extreme Winch Challenge round, in the top ten, MQ, GQ and GU Nissans placed 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th. I also beleive last years series had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places filled by Nissans.

Nissans are as tough, and in most cases tougher than any 4x4 on the market. They mite not have fridges, 67 traction control devices, or expensive but useless 17 inch rims, but in the end, these sort of luxuries dont count for much.

Mate, you can't argue with the facts.

Tristjo.
FollowupID: 16825

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:53

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:53
Errr...... Bob, the reliability of the LC100/Lexus 470 isn't all that good. BIG problem with the 5 stud wheels pulling studs out due to one less stud on a smaller PCD (cost cutting measure to enable compatability with passenger type Toyota vehicle wheels). This is a well documented problem, and NOT something you want to have happen to your front outside wheel at 100 km/h around a bend! (usual place, LOTS of collateral damage as well) The new Prado has retained the 6 stud wheels for this very reason, and I suspect the new model LC will revert back to 6 studs. The front (IFS) diffs were a very weak spot on the early ones, only marginally improved in later years. Go the 80 series or earlier if you have to go LC.

Patrols seem to have the better driveline and engines, apart from the well documented problems with the 3.0 litre turbodiesel, and would be more suited to travelling through Australia, despite reportedly having slightly more agricultural feel.

New Pajero???? jury is out......Great engine (diesel), no chassis, torsion bar IFS with moderate articulation, great t/case.

I am no expert (I own a Kia Sportage, don't laugh!!!), I have just tried to tie together the gist of a few comments of previous threads. I have no real bias one way or the other, but the amount of money that is spent by Toyota to push the LC in the rural and mining sectors through generous discounts (on top of tax breaks) I think would be the main driver to their "popularity".
FollowupID: 16829

Follow Up By: tristjo - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:22

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:22
Gary,

Your spot on with the comment regarding Toyota's commercial market. From what I have heard, Toyota almost give them away to Gov departments and mines, etc. Perhaps this is the reason behind their over inflated price in the public market??

I think it would have been a VERY different story if Nissan or Landrover had been awarded the contract to supply vehicles for the Snowy Moutains Project. This was the first real introduction of four wheel drives into the Austrailian market. Price was most likely the deciding factor in that situation, also.

Tristjo.
FollowupID: 16836

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:52

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:52
Tristjo, you might have fallen victom of toyotas own advertising about the LC being used on the snowy project.Landrover was awarded the contract for the snowy contract! my uncle bought his first landrover from the snowy mountians authority where he worked (it's Series I and it still works!) they bought a grand total of about 50 land cruises as rover was un able to supply enough due to production going to Military contracts, put simply at the time rover couldn't build enough. when they went looking for something else they got a job lot of cruiser's going "cheap", they would have got Jeep or any other 4WD utility if they could buy them. they simply need more than rover was willing to supply over the military contracts!
ask the rover people for the history of the landrover & the snowy mountains project.

as for what to buy New now...... for a travelling & trecking probably the patrol, if you have to send most of your time in the city & you are just wandering of sealed roads the pajero or prado would be easier to live with in the city while still, as standard trucks very capable. you could do the simpson or cape in either as standard trucks & these guys are just talking about travelling about Vic & going camping...

Happy travelling everyone!
FollowupID: 16880

Reply By: tristjo - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 21:03

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 21:03
Dude,

Go the Patrol. A much better vehicle than the Paj in every respect, except maybe on road ride comfort.

The Pajero isn't a bad truck, though. Might suit those who only intend to run around town, and do a few backroad trips every now and then.

The Patrol is a real four wheel drive, built for real four wheel driving. Tough as nails, and will go any where the average owner would ever point it.

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 24870

Reply By: Johnad - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 22:59

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 22:59
Twandy, Land Cruiser owners only delude themselves by thinking they're at the top of the tree. They are just trying to compensate for the fact that they got ripped off blind on the purchase price of their vehicle. I do not dispute they are a great 4WD, just over priced. So they might be at the top of the money tree. Use the 20 grand savings on accessories like bull bar, winch, diff locks, UHF, HF radios, etc etc and still have change.

As for the Pajero, Ive winched my brother in laws one many times over. Consider these 2 points; Monocoque chassis and Independant suspension. They are a nice vehicle though, plenty of comfort and drive well on road.

Go the Patrol, if you can afford the 4.2 diesel. The 3.0 diesel is also an excellent truck, you will never look back - trust me.

John

ps I drive both a Land Cruiser (FJ40) and a Patrol (GU Diesel). Best of both worlds!!!

AnswerID: 24877

Reply By: Lyds - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:09

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:09
Twandy,

As others have mentioned the Pajero is very nice on the tar. While they are also capable for offroad driving, you'll have a more difficult time doing any major mods. Only 50mm lift, little room under the hood for anything other than a 2nd battery, lots of plastic, plus limited availability of accessories.

Good luck!Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 24888

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 07:55

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 07:55
Twandy,
it depends on what you need. The Pajero is probably the more refined vehicle and has been bred on the company's Paris Dakar commitment and success. There are few situations where modifications to a new vehicle are necessary to enable you to do camping trips anywhere in Victoria, or Australia for that matter. On the other hand most of your vehicle use will be ordinary commuting, in which role the Pajero will leave most other 4WDs for dead because of its performance, handling and economy. The Pajero has always been reliable and capable (I've had two and got 200,000 km completely worry free touring all over Oz out of them). It may not look as macho as the Patrol- which probably accounts for some of the opinions on this forum. I'd go for the TD ahead of the petrol.
AnswerID: 24891

Reply By: Wil - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 13:08

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 13:08
Mighty NISSAN is the go buddy.
Every purist will give you the thumbs up! Keep away from Pajero or the new Cruisers, They are getting soft, very soft.
Solid metal is what we want...not rubber bellows.
AnswerID: 24905

Follow Up By: tristjo - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:37

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:37
Great minds think alike, eh mate!! The big Nissans are the ONLY sensible choice!!
FollowupID: 16826

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 13:30

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 13:30
Twandy,

Can't comment on the new Patrols or Paj's because I've had no first hand experience with either. But...we currently have a GU ST patrol, petrol 4.5L which we upgraded to from a NH Pajero. Also did Cape York in a SWB Pajero back in the late 80's so I am a long time fan of the Paj's.

My comments are this...a well set-up Paj, driven by an experienced offroader with a good understanding of the vehicles capabilities and limitations is an extremely capable off-roader. In the time we had ours we lived in Darwin and explored much of the Top End all year round, did the Kimberley, Pilbara, Goldfields and heaps of coastal dune driving. The real downside with Paj's is lack of clearance in the front end. As for lack of readily available accessories, we never had any trouble in this regard. We had a 50mm lift in the back-end (could have gone for 90mm), ARB roofrack, cargo barrier, dual battery system, snorkel, bug screen, spotties, H/R towbar, bullbar etc. Could have got a long range fuel tank if we'd wanted but never got around to fitting it.

Now we have a GU which is definately in a higher category. 4Wdriving capabilites are much better. Not so much in the sense that we can go different places, more that we do the same things as in the Paj with much more ease. Fuel consumption between both vehicles is fairly comparable which surprised us a little but we put it down to roof rack on Paj and none on the GU. GU is roomier but the finish is not as good as the Paj.

In short, both vehicles are very good, comfortable and capable off-roaders. For more hard core 4WD I'd take the Patrol anyday, but for general touring and off-roading the Paj would also fit the bill.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 24906

Reply By: UB.1 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 21:39

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 21:39
Hello Twandy

As someone who spends 80% of his time around town and on the highway, another 15% on reasonably rough tracks and barely 5% on truely tough 4wd stuff, I don't think you can go past the new DiD Pajero.

Now before all the he-man Patrol and Cruiser drivers scream, let me point out that I have owned a 60 series cruiser which was a reliable old truck and did a lot of work around the Kimberlies and the north west. I ditched it for an NH pajero which also did a lot of work and there wasn't anywhere the other guys with the Nissans and petrols went that I couldn't. In fact I ofter tow an off-road trailer and they were surprised how well it went.

I'm not into rock crawling and don't need additional reduction gears etc, but have snatched Patrols, Cruisers and Range Rovers out of trouble and been snatched out myself.

From your description of your needs you sound a lot like me without the rougher elements I do.

I have tested the new Jeeps, Prados and Pajeros over my own favourite test track and as my NH has 237,000km on it I'm spending my hard earned $ on an NP Did auto. It is easier to handle in traffic than the trucks, easier to park, retains its resale - ask Redbook- and costs a lot less to run than all the others. I can give it a 70mm suspension lift and fit any accessory including Steel bullbar and winch, snorkel, long range tank, roof racks and cargo barrier and drawers. The wife can even see over the bonnet -handy if I'm incapacitated. I also run 31" BFG ATs.

Do your homework, test drive everything. Do it all again then pay your money and enjoy. Just don't let anyone railroad you. And join a good club, not a bunch of one brand fanatics.

Good luck
AnswerID: 26460

Follow Up By: Campbell - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 20:30

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 20:30
Twandy,
I had a 80 series cruiser, great vehicle, tough as nails not like the 100 series.
Sold it & bought a NM V6 Pajero, had it for 18months & sold it recently to buy a NP DID Pajero Auto.

The reason I sold the petrol Paj was fuel consumption, it averaged 16litres per 100 k's in the city & on the Hwy, on the soft sand you could watch the fuel gauge go down. It also lacked tourqe for towing & hill work. The DID diesel uses 10.8l per 100 k's around town & only 8.4 on the Hwy, the vehicle has only done 3000klm's so far so fuel consumption should improve slightly when the engine loosens up.

My Pajero spends it days running around construction & mine sites & inbetween on the black top. For a off road tourer I don,t think you could go wrong with the Pajero, exelent tourqe for towing & hill work, its quicker in the hills than the petrol model. the only problem I'm having with it is I have to watch my speed a lot more (I seem to be always speeding) It wasn,t a problem in the petrol version.

Have fitted Peddars springs (45mm lift) waiting on ARB to release their NP Bar. My NM bar wont fit due to a few small changes

Hope this helps
FollowupID: 18321

Sponsored Links