Tyres - passenger - light truck

Submitted: Monday, Dec 10, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 597 Views:2061 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know the difference between a passenger rated tyre and a light truck rated tyre assuming they are the same eg 245/75R16. Is it in the ply of the tread or the sidewall or diameter or what? Would the LT's be a rougher ride? I look forward to any replies.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick Moore - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:00
A light truck tyre is a heavier constructed tyre compared to the normal passenger tyre. Heavier steel belts, sidewall, bead and so the list goes on. A light truck tyre is not always bigger in it's diameter and isn't always rougher to ride on. The ride will depend on the air pressure that you wish to run in your tyres which is based on the load you wish to carry. The light truck tyre will carry a heavy load and at times requires a higher inflation pressure to do so which will effect your ride.
AnswerID: 1575

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2001 at 01:00
Mick is quite right on the differences in construction, but I would disagree as far as ride quality is concerned. There may be exceptions, but typically you will get a much harsher ride from LT tyres.

However, that may be quite aceptable in return for their increased level of puncture resistance.

Note that LT tyres are often better in sand than H/T tyres as thier footprint elongates rather than bags out sideways. This gives you the "flotation" you are looking for as well as not forcing you to push even more sand ahead of your tyres in the same way as H/Ts do. You can also drop pressures lower than H/Ts - the stiffer sidewalls resist rolling off the rim better.

If it helps, many people (including me) use All Terrain (A/T) tyres to replace the H/Ts found on the new vehicle. You can think of these as a haf way house between H/Ts and LTs as far as toughness, ride comfort etc is concerned.

Good luck in your choice.

Joe
AnswerID: 1578

Reply By: Jon - Thursday, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:00
Grant: I know the difference ! I have worked in the tyre business for around 27 years, but I haven't come across a customer who knows what they want !!! ( sorry - matbe a couple!)

They all talk 'tyrespeak' !! Go talk to your local independant tyre dealer- or a Tyrepower man
If it was all that simple we could give you an answer !!

John
AnswerID: 1587

Sponsored Links