Fridge question ...as usual

Submitted: Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 04:44
ThreadID: 5971 Views:2507 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My mate's just bought a Waeco big assed fridge which incorporates a fridge and freezer section. Holds sh*tloads of beer (at least 2 blocks in part of it or something)
Curious to know if that means a freezer with a divider full of holes to allow freezer air through into chiller compartment "or" it's actually a dividing type thing like your home fridge/freezer(totally seperate compartments).

Haven't seen it yet but it's questioning my integrity to Engels.Gibb River in July.
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 09:16

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 09:16
It is a divider built inside...not removable....well our 52l is anyway , and 1 side freezes and the other smaller side does not . We bought ours as a factory seconds from the fridgeshop.com...we use it only as a fridge for the cans , it uses very little power and seems quite robust...just had a few weeks away with it and could not fault it . We did have a 60l engel which was also very good but was getting a bit heavy for us when filled up , the weaco is much lighter and easier to handle . ..cheers
AnswerID: 24895

Reply By: roscoe - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:27

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:27
G'day Chris, I have one of the Waeco 80L fridge/freezer/coolers. The freezer section has the cooling element and the other areas are kept cold by the cold air flowing over the top of a removable and adjustable divider. That way you can, to a degree, regulate the temps of each compartment by expanding or contracting the space for the air to get through. If you only wanted a large fridge or freezer area, remove the dividers completely, however the element is only on one third of the fridge unit, i.e. the end that freezes.

So, in answer to your question, it is not like a normal home fridge which has structurally different compartments and seperate elements/vents/fans etc, but more like what you thought that it would be with the freezer cooling the chiller by default. I hope this helps, Roscoe.
AnswerID: 24897

Follow Up By: Simon - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:46

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:46
Roscoe,
hows your fridge work?
I have the 110l version and found that altho the freezer end works perfectly the other end doesnt stay cool enough.
It works fine in the shed but in the real world (back of the ute, 30c +, being opened regularly) it wont keep beer cold enough to drink.

I now remove the dividers and use the freezer section for cans and other stuff in the middle and non important items in the dairy section.

I personaly beleive they need a cooling element at the other end.
Its beem suggested I put a small fan in there to circulate the air, good idea if I ever get around to it.
FollowupID: 16774

Follow Up By: roscoe - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:15

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:15
Simon, the bad thing is the lack of regulating ability between the two compartments. Over the weekend, my ice cream stayed frozen, yet my juice, bottle of coke and one beer all froze to a degree. Maybe I just had the setting too high for the ice cream. A bit of trial and error is probably needed to select the right temp controls.
Seeya, Roscoe.
FollowupID: 16845

Reply By: george - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 16:44

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 16:44
Hi Chris,

Have a talk to Andy (W.A. rep for Evakool). He can point you to a dealer in W.A. who will have an Evakool Dual Temp in stock to look at. No problems like those mentioned with freezing the beer. Evakool has a designated freezer section that can be expanded in size if needed.

Give him a call on 0407.911.009

Regards,

Rod Miles.
National Manager
Evakool.
AnswerID: 25304

Sponsored Links