QLD 4WD Tracks

Submitted: Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 20:20
ThreadID: 5985 Views:15231 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I live in Brisbane and have a 60 series landcruiser and I am wanting to do some four wheel driving on weekends (hopefully this saturday coming!!!) so I was wondering if anyone know any good tracks. I am going to check out Landcruiser Mountain Park soon but I am more interested in some different spots, prefferably places that don't need permits. I don't mind where they are, but some where within 3-4 hours drive of Brisbane would be great. I am looking for some intermediate tracks, bit of mud/rock etc, I have a hand winch and recovery gear.

Thanks so much everyone, Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tristjo - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:44

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:44
G'day Cruzer,

Aside form the parks, State Forests are probably the best option, although you will need permits. Mt Mee Forest, near Dayboro has a heap of good tracks, ranging from fast gravel, to twin difflock hill climbs. Heaps of rainforests, lotsa mud and rocks, basicaly an awsome place!! Get a good topo map, and go exploring!!

Try the Dirty Weekends book, sold at most camping stores and the like. It has heaps of good ideas, and includes details on 20 or so 4x4 parks within a few hours of Brizvegas.

Mate, we are so lucky living here in south east Qld, there is just so much great country to get out and explore. I wouldn't live anywhere else!!

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 24943

Follow Up By: Cruza - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 18:53

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 18:53
Cheers mate,

I have heard that Mt Mee is good, how much are the permits and where do you get them from?

I will definately be buying that book, hopefully tomorrow!
FollowupID: 16894

Follow Up By: tristjo - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 19:43
Cruza,

Permits are free, and are available from the Naturally Queensland Center, located over the road from Brisbane City Hall. You could try calling all the different state forest offices, too, but they sometimes can take a while to send out an application form. Once again, The Dirty Weekends book has more details on getting permitts, etc.

If you really want to get around some of the unknown areas of SEQ, join a club, like the Nissan Patrol Club of Queensland. They often get access to good tracks on private property, and some out of the way forest tracks. I visited their website recently, and had a look at their "galleries" section. There seemed to be a heap of places that even I had never heard of before, so I can't wait to do a bit more exploring!!

Tristjo.
FollowupID: 16896

Reply By: Matt M - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:34

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:34
Cruza,

How about Bribie Is, Stradbroke or Morton.
Spicers Gap near the Cunningham hwy pass is good day outa Brissy.
I agree with the last post, get the dirty weekends and get out there!!

Enjoy
Matt.
AnswerID: 24959

Reply By: stevesub - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:13
Bribie only has the beach (permit reqd) and Gallaghars track (3km long) open. The rest is closed and generally behind locked gates with large fines if you are found in the wrong places.
AnswerID: 24976

Reply By: Kevin - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:55

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:55
G'Day Cruza,
You can make SUndown National park in two and a half hours, this place is really pretty and has tracks that go from easy - med and hard - extreme. Great place to camp or book a bed and breaky nearby.
AnswerID: 25001

Reply By: Kevin - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:56

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:56
G'Day Cruza,
You can make SUndown National park in two and a half hours, this place is really pretty and has tracks that go from easy - med and hard - extreme. Great place to camp or book a bed and breaky nearby.
AnswerID: 25002

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 22:11

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 22:11
As the others have said State forest permits are free and easy to get and last the length of your car registration.
Mt Mee SF- some good bits in there
Kenilworth SF - some scary bits there
Belthorpe SF - beautiful remote forest trails - not too hard
Lots more State forest areas to explore.
Can't go past the Dirty Weekends book - join a few State Forest drives together and you can be away for a week. We did and it was great fun.
The 4X4 parks are all in "The BooK"
Try "Levuka" in the wet. Mud Mud Mud
Join a club
Cheers
AnswerID: 25046

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 18:53

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 18:53
Definitely join a club!!!! Much more fun!!!!
AnswerID: 25127

Sponsored Links