torches

Submitted: Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 20:30
ThreadID: 5986 Views:3226 Replies:21 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
In the opinion of my fellow 4wdrivers what is the best non rechargable torch?
This means not only brightness but durability,water resistance,size and battery availability away from the big smoke.

Terry.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 20:45

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 20:45
Terry,
I have a Mag Lite, it's waterproof, (mine didn't float but because the light stayed on when at the bottom of a pond I was still able to get it back), dustproof and anything else proof, Mag lite I believe is a good brand, you can get from a pen lite size to something that takes six D size batteries. The reflector is adjustable so you can have a pencil beam to a broad beam the size of a footy oval (slight exaggeration). These torches are not the cheapest but they are good, in my oinion of course as usual. Over to you people.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 24932

Reply By: Jack - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 21:21

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 21:21
Maglite are hard to beat for brightness, toughness etc etc. I have a 3 x D battery size and it is terrific. Take it everywhere.
However, I am about to get hold of a torch called a "Lightwave 4000, which has 10 LEDs, and claims to run for 1 month continuously on 3 x D batteries. They were advertised in April 2003 4WD monthly (Page 229). I have seen a couple of LED based torches and they seem superbright, and easy on batteries.
Jack
AnswerID: 24935

Reply By: Luke - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:03

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:03
I've had many Maglites ranging from the single AAA maglite solitaire to the 4xD cell maglite.

They are a good quality torch - the bigger ones such as the 3xD or 4xD especially. I still use a 2xAA maglite which lives in the glovebox :-)

Having said that, I've had a few maglites fail too.

If you want the very best, get over the Maglite hype and visit http://www.pelican-flashlight.com/flashlights.html

Pelican flashlights are awesome - every one I've had beats a maglite hands down for durability,value for money, water-resistance, and brightness. Don't be put off that they are made of plastic and the Maglite is alloy :-) they are tougher :-D ...and lighter.

Anyway, if you want an awesome torch - check 'em out. (especially the 1910 - no small maglite even gets near it!

Cheers,

Luke.
AnswerID: 24939

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:10

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:10
Terry,
I too have dealt with and still own 4 Mag-Lites 2 x 2AA & 2 x 4D Cell Three of which Live in the Pajero I was told about LED Flashlights href="http://www.princetontec.com/entry.html">Princeton Tec And purchaces a Headlamp for hands free Operation whilst camping and working on/under The paj.
Apart from Getting the Pi$$ taken out of me by my Mates for the first half hour or so whilst camping they then realise that there not a bad idea after all atleast I can eat my dinner with both hands! and the Burn Time for 2xAA Alkaline Batteries is 40Hrs / Lithium Batteries 100+ hrs, Mag-Lites are Great dont get me wrong but i would give a thought to L.E.D. if i were you. the only downer that i can see is that there not very good for distance lighting. approx 5m maybe?
No Affiliation with Any of the above mentioned products just my own Humble Oppinion for what its worth! Hope this helpsKeep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
AnswerID: 24948

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:16

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:16
P.S.
Lightforce also do Hand helds if your looking for Stadium Lights! bit on the pricey side but.

http://www.lightforce.net.au/handheld.htmlKeep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
FollowupID: 16834

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 15:22

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 15:22
Matt,
I'll second that about the headlamp thing, I have one as well, great tool and real handy when replacing a fan belt or something like that when you need both hands. I always keep mine in the recovery gear bag, I got mine from a camping shop, relatively cheap as well. As you mention it's a good ice breaker when you pull up and set up your camper with a headlamp, gets a few laughs... Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 16882

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:33

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:33
Im another one with Mag light in tow.
i have 1 on a keyring aa i think ix 2aa i x 2d and 1 x3 d i never paid a cent for any of them .a triple pack was a promo from a bushwalking mag years ago and the other was a present from some friends.
having said that i am fairly happy with them however i updated the globes to krytonite i think and i reckon the batteries check quicly on the d ell ones but hell its free barring the batteries .

cheers1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 24957

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:33

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:33
try saber torches the military (navy) use them and so do the firefighters really light weight and use 3 size c batterys very durable and waterproof and very very bright. the only thing i dont like about them is that you need 2 hands to turn it on as its a twist top and because of the o ring in it to keep it water proof it gets a little tight. other than that great torch.
AnswerID: 24958

Follow Up By: johnsy - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:42

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:42
Try a smear of vasaline on the O ring .
FollowupID: 16877

Reply By: djr - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:10

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:10
snap on tools make one which is unbreakable I saw the rep throw against a brick wall as hard as he could with no damage. Very pricy of course, not sure about brightness
AnswerID: 24966

Reply By: al - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:24

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:24
I've got an led/ordinary globe headlight ,works great and the batteries last for ages . Don't know the brand but got it in Rays Outdoors. Having a headlight means handsfree for all the other jobs that need to be done in the dark
AnswerID: 24969

Reply By: baza - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:00

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:00
LED seems to be the future, very low current draw, each LED supposedly has a life of approx 500,000 hours (depending on the voltage applied to them) and the brightness seems to be improving all the time. It is easy and cheap to make your own, just do a search in google or similar.
Saying all that, I still use a maglite - experimenting with LED's at the moment.
AnswerID: 24974

Reply By: Member - Russell - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:22

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:22
I have a maglite 4 D size battery torch and it is very good - bright, adjustable beam, tough etc. However, I find that when camping I almost exclusively use a Petzl (?) headlamp. Mine is a normal bulb with a 4.5 v battery pack, but you can get any number of different systems. The point for me is that whether I'm hunting around in the back of the truck, in the tent, looking in the camp oven or whatever, this thing is always there, gives good light for the task, is easy to turn on and off, and leaves both hands free for whatever I'm doing. Can't beat them I reckon, and I've been surprised at the longevity of the batteries - still on the first pack after a lot of use on several trips. That's my two bob's worth.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 24978

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:28

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:28
I've had a National Panasonic diving torch for over twenty years. I run a 4.8 v halogen globe so the 4 D cells (6 V) burn very brightly indeed. This globe has lasted for years. I thought I lost it once and became quite depressed. I found it some months later in the roof space of the house. Nearly went out and killed the fatted calf. This torch has a pecil beam and will cause retinal burns at 400 metres.
AnswerID: 24981

Reply By: Troopie - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:11

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:11
Ah Dunno - I have a 3 d-cell mag light (which is great, don't get me wrong), but the torch that gets used the most by far and away is the trusty old Dolphin. I have had mine for about 10 years and in that time it's been dropped on rocks, kicked about, fallen overboard (floats) and generally bashed about in the back of various vehicles.

The beam isn't adjustable on mine, and it's not a bright as others - but it was cheap and has survived everything thrown at it! A spare globe clips inside and betteries can be bought anywhere.

No association with the product!
Cheers
AnswerID: 24994

Reply By: TonyT - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 16:56

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 16:56
Maglite owner as well- but the old Dolphin is bright, cheap and if it's lost just get another one at KMart- plus I'm always looking for the Mag. lying on the ground around the campfirein the dark- just my 2bob's worth.
AnswerID: 25010

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:17

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:17
I have to admit to having a slight fetish with torches. I have tried lots.
Dolphin - great beam but the batteries don't last and cost a bomb.
Maglite - I have a 2 D cell model with focus, good beam, unbreakable, but too big to put in pocket!
Headlight - got mine from Jaycar, "best thing since sliced bread" has 3 options - 1 LED, 3 LED or normal focusing globe, takes 3 aaa baterries which should last forever - good to read a book with and find that last elusive pee on the dinner plate !
Another light I picked up for $8 at BBQ Galore - Focusing Lamp - uses 4 C cells - has very bright focusing Krypton globe or low power night light which is good inside the tent.
I use a 12v Fluro outside the tent from the car.

Talking of batteries - I recently bought a cheap digital camera for the quick snapshots ! Kodak CX4200 - I have been using rechargeable alkaline batteries and they always seem to be flat - no matter how long I recharge them for! Maybe I should stick with good quality normal alkaline ones ??Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 25014

Follow Up By: kezza - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:28

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:28
Colin
Spend about $17 a pair and buy some rechargable Kodak AA ni mh they are 1600mAh (Nickel Metal Hydrides) The last for ages - if you have a real slow charger you can use the same charger you now have.

I use them in everything -especially my digital camera - I also use them in the handheld UHF so when the camera goes flat Ive got spares. The ones from the camera will still run the UHF for ages.

kes
FollowupID: 16905

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 19:58

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 19:58
Have a Dolphin, which is more practical than the "Big Jim" that's packed away, and has lasted over 15 years.

Have joined the "dork" brigade too, and have 2 LED headlamps. One 3 LED from Jaycar, and the other is 7 LED from Atlas batteries in the Isa. When the generator runs out of fuel at night(ever seen one run out in daylight!!!), where do you put the fuel? Where your head is pointing, and the h'lamp.

Have purchased a Lightwave 10 LED torch from ad in 4WDMonthly, cost $95, but haven't put any new batteries in, in last 12 months. Doesn't throw a long beam, but ample for 30-50 metres. Depends if you're scared of the dark....

Always wanted a Maglite too, cheap compared to the LED one above!

AnswerID: 25027

Reply By: Member - Peter [SA] - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 20:59

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 20:59
Pretty hard to go past the good old general purpose Dolphin for me. A good battery costs more than the torch almost and it is very robust, cheap and you can buy one just about anywhere, roadhouses,hardware shop, supermarket etc.
AnswerID: 25030

Reply By: Member - Terry- Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:01

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:01
Thanks for all the replies regarding torches. I already have a maglight ,now it is obviously time to by a head lamp. This will be easier than a snorkel to get past she who wished she was obeyed.
AnswerID: 25031

Reply By: Phil R - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 23:42

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 23:42
Good old Dolphin, cheap, take the knocks and floats, Electronics Australia (now defunct) did a project on these some years where you could modify the torch
add a rechagable battery and just plug into cig lighter for recharge without
removing the battery.
AnswerID: 25058

Follow Up By: Luke - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 17:38

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 17:38
EA (Electonics Australia) kit plans are available very cheaply from (I think it was) Silicon Chip.

Bought some old kit plans from them recently for an old EA kit for $8

..just FYI
FollowupID: 16970

Reply By: Phil R - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 17:57

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 17:57
Thanks Luke

I subscribed to EA from about 1989 until they folded a couple of years ago so
I've got a heap of mags that have come in very handy when building stuff, if you
are after anything let me know, it''ll probably be in there somewhere.

Phil
AnswerID: 25120

Follow Up By: Luke - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 16:58

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 16:58
Cheers,

Shall do...

Luke.
FollowupID: 17052

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:43

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:43
the ones worn on the head are great for around the campfire when cooking etc just see your camping/outdoor store but the leds are very good as are halogen and look at those that dont have rings (image rings) when focussing the lamp.Wow! am I cute
Richard
AnswerID: 25150

Reply By: Steggles - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 13:09

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 13:09
Check out http://www.spelean.com.au/ for Petzl headlamps
AnswerID: 27028

Sponsored Links