100 Series Landcruiser water coolant

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 00:23
ThreadID: 5992 Views:10688 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1999 100 series 4.5lt Petrol Landcruiser and I have been noticing that the water coolant level in the reservoir keep fluctuating. Is this suppose to happen as i thought it is a closed system.
It is normally between High and Low but more towards the low. Top it up to the high mark (full) and about a week later back down to to between H and L again.
This has been happening for about the last 10k but no cooling problem.
Does anyone know if this fluctuation is normal.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:24

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:24
Hi Lod
If you are loosing water from the bottle, it is going into the motor to replace water lost. You have a small leak somewhere, and i would start to look for signs of white stuff (dry coolant). if none found, change the rad cap to make sure its not that, and monitor.
Things it could be
waterpump seal
radiator top or bottom tank
hose at pass rear of motor coming from the head (look in wheel arch and wonder how to get at it)
Andrew
wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 24979

Reply By: landcruiser100 - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:47

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:47
Hi loed,
I also have a LC 100 and it has the same problem. at first i thought it was normal but then I took it Lander toyota and they said it neaded an engine change so dont be to causes.

We might not even be talking about the same thing but Wat you have written sounds exactly what happen to me.

Good luck

Landcruiser100

AnswerID: 24999

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:54

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 14:54
Lod,
If it's only fluctuating and you aren't loosing any water this is what I would refer to as normal, when the engine warms up the water level should and in most cases will rise a bit, when the engine is fully cooled the level should return to where it was originally. If this isn't happening then something is amiss and you should be looking at what was mentioned in the other response. It might be worth while getting a pressure test done on the cooling circuit taking the expansion bottle out of the loop, test pressure about what the rad cap lifts at and plus a little bit more to be sure. Leave the test on for about twenty thirty minutes and see if the pressure has dropped, look under the engine bay for leaks and check inside the front footwell the heater coil may be leaking. If you loose pressure and there is no external evidence start the engine and see if the engine starts initially with a missfire if it does you may have problems within the head, could be the gasket or could be a small crack somewhere. If the head gasket has gone you may also find evidence of maybe bubbling in the expansion tank or something else. Hope some of this helps. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 25000

Reply By: landcruiser100 - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 15:15

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 15:15
Hey lod i wrote to you b4 and i was only jokin

:) :) :) :) :) :)

AnswerID: 25005

Reply By: Peter L - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:43

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:43
When the engine is cold you should only fill the overflow bottle to the LOW mark.
After the engine has been working hard and is still hot the level will be at HIGH due to expansion of the coolant.
It is possible that if filled to the HIGH mark when cold the expansion may cause the bottle to overflow, thus loosing coolant.

Peter L
AnswerID: 25018

Reply By: Peter L - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:43

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:43
When the engine is cold you should only fill the overflow bottle to the LOW mark.
After the engine has been working hard and is still hot the level will be at HIGH due to expansion of the coolant.
It is possible that if filled to the HIGH mark when cold the expansion may cause the bottle to overflow, thus loosing coolant.

Peter L
AnswerID: 25019

Sponsored Links