Range Rover engine conversion

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:18
ThreadID: 6014 Views:9195 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
People,
I'm looking to convert my super economical 3.5 litre Rover engine with a chev engine of some description, I've spoken to Marks Adapters and sorted that bit out are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of, mines the 85 model with the slightly stronger transmission splines, I don't know what size Chev I'm loking at yet, I've already fitted the stronger springs in the front because of the cast iron engine weight. I'm interested to hear from people who have done the conversion themselves and learnt from their own experiences. Any help gratefully accepted, thanks to all up front. Keep the shiny side up
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ferret - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:00

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:00
I can hear the big "snap" from here Marty
AnswerID: 25088

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:23

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:23
Dearest Ferret,
I'll just have to buy a new gearbox and axles then won't I, that Rover engine has turned into a nightmare three head bolts snapped and everything to do with it is going to cost big dolleros, as long as I'm careful and only put a small Chev in there she'll be right mate...... It will come down to me and how I drive it I suppose, if I want to brake anything it will be easier with the Chev than the Rover engine, bonus.... Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 16945

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:13

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:13
Insurance.

Lots o companies are 'disliking' Chevs, no reason but they can..
AnswerID: 25090

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:26

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:26
Bruce,
Ah ha, I'll do a bit of research into that, there's always something............Thanks BruceKeep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 16946

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:09

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:09
Have you thought of the Alloy P76 4.4 V8??

Maybe easier to fit in, and is light as crap and goes like stink! Also may be easier to engineer.
AnswerID: 25100

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:58

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:58
As I recall (showing my age), the P76 motor was developed from the Rover engine anyway. And apparently they were reliable.
FollowupID: 16958

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 15:07

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 15:07
Yup they were.

mate had one in a offroad racing buggy.. Thing wheelstood due to miscalc in measurements, it was mid mount, but still no weight over front end.
FollowupID: 16959

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 19:52

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 19:52
Bruce,
I like the concept, "light as crap and goes like stink", I've been offered an '86 350 at a good price so I'll think I'll play with that, I haven't mucked around with a Chev engine yet so it will be a good learning thing, it's only a hobby I'm not looking at a drag machine or anything. There's nothing really wrong with the existing donk, I might just pass it on when I've finished, don't know as yet. Talking to Marks adapters fitting it's relatively easy so I think it will be going in.Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 17000

Reply By: andy - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 15:48

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 15:48
Go with an Isuzu Turbo Diesel. It will pull like a train and give you 50 miles per gallon.
AnswerID: 25109

Reply By: yarda - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 16:05

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 16:05
Mate just a thought, how about a lexus 4.0 L quad cam v8- all alloy, smooth as silk, good on juice and 200Kw stock standard. You can get a half cut with motor, box and computer for around $3000.
Has to be cheaper than fixing the Rover...........Brad
AnswerID: 25111

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 16:33

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 16:33
Having been there, done that, and if I had any inclination to play around with Rangies again, I'd go for the 5 Litre Holden. Marks adaptoers do a kit for Holden to Rangie, but I'd use the later EFI engine, fairly cheap from the wreckers and can be engineered with exhaust emission standards to run on unleaded. New 5 litre crate engines are around $4000 in the box. If you go Chev, then it will have to be Straight LPG, not very desirable if you need to tour a great distance from city centrs, as gas availability (and economy) is RS. The EFI Holden is very economical to run, around 20 mpg in a Rangie with parts availability at every corner Holden dealer.
AnswerID: 25113

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 18:07

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 18:07
Steve,
I'm interested, I have been offered a '86 350 Chev for the right price, I like to have a project in the shed to tinker with, the Rover engine is not economically viable so that's a "dead duck" as of last weekend, my interest is why do I have to go to gas? I was just going to run unleaded / ultimate petrol, it's an '86 so I assume it's unleaded friendly, I was going to ditch the fuel injection bit and fit a carby, I prefer this set up in the bush it's less electronics to get wet and cheaper to fix and maintain. I was more after the mods needed to fit the air con pump and the alternator and how that works after the tacho connection is buggered around with, things like that. Thanks for any help. Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 16977

Follow Up By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:03

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:03
Martyn, yes without doubt the little, fiddly things take all the time with these sort of conversions. You have to give a lot of thought on designing brackets and hardware to mount the various accessories onto the donor engine. I don't know the road rules for engine conversions for WA, so you need to contact your registration board to see what they will allow/dissallow regarding exhaust emission standards. That is why in Victoria, no problems if it is on LPG. Here, they would not allow a EFI engine to be changed to carby because it would not meet the same emissions standards. Even keeping the EFI will require heaps of time,dollars, investment to get the engine "clean". If not clean, then NO rego for you!
FollowupID: 17219

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 19:55

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 19:55
Steve,
I'll have to check up on this, now I have the engine and I've done a bit of research the block was cast on the 20th of June 1990, it's amazing what you can find out via the net. The inlet manifold has not been supplied with the engine it's missing, I have all the other stuff, alternator bracket and also the power steering pump so this makes things easier. The air con compressor will have to be fitted at some point in time, I'll just have to figure that out. We have a couple of Chev engine conversion mobs around here so they must have done a Rangie before I'll have a chat to them. I don't really want to fit gas, that wasn't in the plan. Grateful for the help thanks.Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 17232

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:40

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:40
Gday Martyn
i just finished your tyre cover looks good,give you a call when i finish cleaning it up
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 25149

Reply By: nugget - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 00:30

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 00:30
Martyn,
Being an 85 model I'm guessing you have the 5 speed LT77 gearbox. These were originally designed as a car gearbox, Triumph I think and are marginal with a Rover V8 let alone a Chev. If It's a 4 speed then the transmission will be OK. They are very strong (Have a friend off road racing a Landy 110 with one, it's got a sprintcar all alloy Rodec Chev with 450 bhp in front of it.) The transfer case will suffer if driven hard, they get hot and melt shims etc. Marks 4wd adapters have a mod kit for them to increase oil capacity by about a litre which will help. My friend with the off road racing Landy actually cut the original transfer case off and modified the gearbox so as to fit the later model transfer case from the 5 speed gearboxes. Also unless you have fine spline axles they will break on a regular basis. I would recommend going for an automatic transmission eg Turbo 400 which will bolt straight up to the Chev. Marks adapters have a kit to bolt it to 5 speed LT230 transfer case.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 25168

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 18:05

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 18:05
Nugget,
Your right I have the LT77 "dog box", I do have the fine splines so that's something good. This is exactly what I wanted, thanks for the help. I don't drive the old girl to hard, I take it easy anyway because I have a diff lock in the back. I done some "rough stuff and so far so good, maybe just lucky. I think I'll give towing the camper trailer a miss eh!!! Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 17058

Sponsored Links