<span class="highlight">Globalstar</span> working for a change

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 13:46
ThreadID: 60198 Views:1638 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Got back from a 2 weeks trip around the Great Victoria Desert a fortnight ago (hell time flies) and believe it or not I had good coverage on my Telit5000 Globalstar Sat phone. Regular readers of this forum will know that I usually only have bad reports about the damn thing but on this strip it worked. Shudder to think what the bill will be like.

Was able to get good reception between 5 & 6 each night and clarity was as clear as a bell. After 6 when I wanted to talk to my wife it usually took a while to get a satellite fix but was able to have a long chat every night.

Maybe GS have finally heard all our bitching and launched a few more satellites.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 13:59

Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 13:59
They keep telling everyone that it's going to get better...but...
Nice to hear of a good experience for a change. Pity about the mob who run it .
AnswerID: 317476

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 14:23

Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 14:23
Good to know the service was so reliable that when you need to make an emergency call you had to wait until between 5 & 6 at night.

Not sure how it helps when your mate is bleeding to death at 10 am??
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 317480

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 14:57

Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 14:57
Didn't need to do that fortunately John. Did use it during the day a couple of times. All in all a better coverage than in the past.
Use in an emergency is always the acid test no matter who is the carrier. One of the guys on the trip had a rented Iridium phone and while he had better coverage he had difficulties at times getting a connection.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 583841

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 14:28

Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 14:28
I heard that they have an extra 8 satellites with another 8 planned in the near future, unfortunately that will be the end of short term connections.
AnswerID: 317483

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 17:11

Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 17:11
Shaker,
Why do you say that will be the end of short term connections. Every year I fire up my G-Star Sat phone for 3 or 4 months during the winter.

Initially I had a deal with G-Star for the phone to go into sleep mode for 9 months at a cost of $11/per month but that only lasted a year, turned out to be to much trouble. Was cheaper than firing up the phone every year for $200. G-Star has sleep mode for 3 or 4 months.

The reason I purchased the G-Star sat phone was the short term connections.

Peter
FollowupID: 583855

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 17:59

Sunday, Jul 27, 2008 at 17:59
Hi Duncan, Glad you had a good trip, and yes the time does fly, guess you will be planning another trip by now!!!!!!!!!! We are leaving next Saturday for Shark Bay for bit over a week then back to get ready for Birdsville.

The last trip bush we did with our G/star we had coverage most of the day so we are much happier with it now.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 317517

Sponsored Links