Message for Truckster

Submitted: Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:32
ThreadID: 6039 Views:1394 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
You commented a while back on the amount of spam, popups and other crap coming thru. Have you found a good filter or blocker to rid of this stuff? I'm not really interested in having a biggerbleep, or improving my sex life, or any of the other stuff coming thru. It does seem to have increased over the last coupla weeks. Does anyone know if it can be filtered or blocker ???A bad days sailing sure beats a good day at work
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:54

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:54
Hi David,

there are some software available, I used Macafee Spam Killer it worked ok, it kept safe your addresses. The only problem was, sometime it would "kill" something you wanted, so you need to keep an eye on it. There are some free ones available, that you could just do a search in google, try typing in "free spam killer" see what you get, the same for the pop ups.

I know what you mean, it's crazy, I keep getting mail about enlarging certain parts of the body!!

The best thing is, if you sign up for anything on the 'net' make sure you list your email addy as private, otherwise they get ya!

cheers

Lyn [Mrs. Al]

1927 Oldsmobile Tourer

Corrugations...what are they?
AnswerID: 25275

Follow Up By: Brian - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:27

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:27
Listing as private does not always work !!!!!! You need to have a seperate address for signing up to things ie hotmail/Yahoo and keep your main address for mail etc only.
Software you can use (free) Popper stopper & mail washer.

Brian
FollowupID: 17112

Reply By: Ray M (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:59

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:59
I use the tools provided with outlook express (tools/messages rules) to fllter all messages. I have about 15 different folders in outlook. Using keywords and other criteria all messages are sorted and placed in the appropriate folder. 99% of the spam ends up in the deleted items folder where the sender and subject receives a quick glance to make sure it's not legitimate. Works for meHooroo
AnswerID: 25291

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 12:36

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 12:36
Yea I had this too, then when I changed ISP to Optusnet, I didnt bother, as nobody gets this email addy!
FollowupID: 17115

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 12:33

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 12:33
I think Brian has the best idea. ALthough havent tried McAfee Spam blocker, downloading now from a WAREZ site. >:-)~

Yahoo has the best antispam thing, shiats on Hotmail.

I have a HOTMAIL account that I use when things want you to register or when you need to post an address somewhere on the net. I dont give a bleep about the Hotmail account, I get 80+ mails there a day, all crap.

As soon as a spider(the thing that collects email addys) finds a site, or guestbook, or Yahoogroup mailing list, or what ever, it then grabs it and your gone.

The other one is when things say stuff like "WIN THIS WIN THAT".. As soon as you register your email addy is worth a fortune to these pricks..

Then I have a YAHOO account for other stuff, then I have my ISP account for personal, family and business stuff. The ISP account NEVER gets out. Only to friends adn family, or work.

There are SPAM blockers out there, but as soon as oen is created, the pricks working on the spam work a 'work around' for it.
AnswerID: 25294

Follow Up By: Brian - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 16:18

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 16:18
Another point when getting a new address put a "." in the middle
ie fred.smith@bigpond.com this according to bigpond ,stuffs a lot of the automatic spam generators, they can't handle the . in the middle ??????
How true this is I don,t know????????
In saying this I don't have it and use hotmail/yahoo account as a buffer & I get no spam to my main account(touch wood).

Brian
FollowupID: 17130

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 17:42

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 17:42
Brian
I am thinking you may be right as programming a dot into your name would mean that this would increase the number of calculations the computer would need to do to cover all variances just to get one address...would they (the spammers) wait ...but then again it is (the name searching) automaticaaly generated by the computer so maybe they will. ??

I have just signed up at another isp with a . so I await the trial.Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 17134

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 17:51

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 17:51
As I said before, as soon as they make somethign to stuff them up, they work on a work around.

I dont think people realise how much a CD of Email address' are worth, its well into 4 figures! thats thousands.

Mate works in Security business, wanted to send otu info to companies about their new stuff, he called a company that sells email addys, and they called him back within an hour, with details of how many they had in his field he asked for!

Remember they farm them from websites too.

YMMV
FollowupID: 17137

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 16:18

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 16:18
Amazing stories guys - The cost of my bigpond.com address must be worth it - no fidling with filters or blokers - not one bit of spam!
I am using AVG virus protection.Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 25352

Reply By: Sapper - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:33

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:33
I am using a program called "Mailwasher". It allows you to see your server before you download to the mail program. What this allows you to do is blacklist and the server remembers. Some get thru but the next mailwasher covers this. You can also read your mail on the server to double check its content. Beats filters anytime.

Regards

UBIQUE
AnswerID: 25394

Reply By: G.T. - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 17:49

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 17:49
Mailwasher is the way to go. Try mailwasher.net --- It`s free unless you have more than one address, then you hve to pay. It`s well worth a look.
Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 25505

Sponsored Links