Using 2 snatch strap instead of 1 .. how?

Submitted: Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 21:21
ThreadID: 6048 Views:2617 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello. I would like to ask you guys opinion on using 2 snatch strap for recovery purpose. I currently have 2 strap with me which are same rating and length. If possible, is it better to join them in series or in parallel in recovery situation ?
By using 2 strap, it is obvious to save some work on each strap. However, except from half the load on the strap (in series / parallel /both ? ), is it also double the pulling force ?????????
Hope I haven't just confused you guys. Any opinion would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 21:32

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 21:32
depends on what ya want to do, if you have to pull further then two in series, (I have personally used four in series to get up a long and windy track near Woods Point)

I wouldnt think you would need to put them in parallel, you'd pull the end outta whatever you pulled with or were pulling methinks, we have pulled trucks out of a bog with one (larger webbing tho)

Biggest tip is to make sure you join them properly, with a round bit o wood inside the join, plenty of mags show the right way, else you'll never get the things apart again, I have a 6" long bit of old spliitter handle I use, slips out nicely. If ya need to know more let me know.

The work on the straps isnt a worry to me, once theyre stuffed just go replace them, $70 bucks for peace of mind, rather than a 3" wide elastic band smashing into the front or back of ya vehicle, is money well spent.

Laterally literalSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 25325

Follow Up By: Slammin - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 23:29

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 23:29
Your method of joining with wood thru the eye of one strap after being passed thru the eye of the other strap is sound but a safer method is to roll up the magazine with the diagram in it and use the magazine as the "locking pin". I've used this method also with small regional phonebooks (just in case) for pulling out trucks.
FollowupID: 17155

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 23:38

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 23:38
yer I tried that and the magazine, an inferior 2wd wheels magazine was really hard to get out of the straps, wood turns and slips out easily

regardsSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 17156

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 23:51

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 23:51
We had a major effort one night.

Front car with snatch to second car.. Second car to 3rd car including 3 Straps!

As you say, there are lots of things to use, but something solid like a Hammer handle is good.

*ALWAYS USE SOME FORM OF BLAKET/PARACHUTE on your snatch strap* if they break, they do lots and lots of miles an hour maybe towards your head in the drivers seat

Have a look here.

Snatch image
AnswerID: 25332

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 23:58

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 23:58
or

http://www.users.bigpond.com/dryrie/wc.html
FollowupID: 17157

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 23:58

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 23:58
or

http://www.users.bigpond.com/dryrie/wc.html
FollowupID: 17158

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 07:56

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 07:56
The above article says most of it. When considering series or parallel use of straps remember from school physics that for springs F = kx. F is the force that is necessary to pull the bogged vehicle out. It is also the same as the force that slows the tow vehicle as tension is taken up in the strap. x is the length of stretch of the strap and k is a constant applicable to each strap. So for two similar straps in parallel, F = 2kx. The force for a given length of stretch will be twice that for a single strap. Or alternatively, you will slow the tow vehicle in half the distance to apply a given force (more like using a non stretch tow rope). If you put the straps in series (end to end) you will have a stretchier strap and will travel twice as far in the tow vehicle before applying the same snatching force to the bogged vehicle. Because everything is happening more slowly, there is more relaxed dissipation of energy, and a less likelihood of damage/breakage etc You may also be less likely to recover a badly stuck vehicle as the tow vehicle eases to a gentle halt in the distance at the end of the very long fully stretched straps. We have used three straps in series to snatch vehicles over dunes. This avoids the situation of the tow vehicle starting its run up hill.
AnswerID: 25336

Follow Up By: chopper - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 08:01

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 08:01
Bob, I think that you and i were typing at the same time.

You said that so much better than me.

cheers
FollowupID: 17163

Reply By: chopper - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 07:58

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 07:58
okay, totally agree with the magazine, or even floor mats, to join two straps, even a wooden handle is far better than some of the turkeys who use shackles.

as far as two in series goes, i have found that it is possible (in say soft sand) for the lead truck to actually begin to bog down before the strap has taken up its stretch, we really found this on a tricky steep, muddy recovery once where we needed four straps, the amount of energy absorbed by the straps actually prevented an effective recovery.

I have found that by using a winch extension strap with a snatch strap (same rating) you get the desired efect of extending the snatch strap without having to 'overcome' the 2nd strap. This has proved really useful in longer snatches (and extension straps come in longer lengths, therefore less joins in the system).

in parallell, i can't see any good reason for this one, if it just to prevent wear on the straps, then I think that you would be defeating the purpose, IMHO most wear happens directly after the snatch rather than during. As far as pulling force goes, I'll need to consult the missus, (she's a physics teacher), i guess that it might be doubled, but if you need that much force, i reckon that it's time to start digging and turn around and use the winch. If you've never seen a snatchstrap 'let go' then you really should before you get 'creative' in recoveries. It is a sight to behold (as long as it happens to someone else).

These are just my opinions. :-)
AnswerID: 25337

Follow Up By: Big John (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:04

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:04
If you are going to use a 6" piece of splitter handle you might as will use the shackles, you won't catch me any where near you if you use either. I use a SMALL stick that you can break by hand at the strap joint which will allow to straps to come loose. I don't usually use 2 snatch strapps I carry an extension strap and a snatch strap, the extension strap has been worth its weight in gold. Don't parallell straps unless you want to do damage to the vehicles or you are trying to recover a bus. The reason for this is that it increases the shock loads.

Big John
FollowupID: 17200

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:47

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:47
Another thing, dont believe everythign you see in magazines.

Our club pres pointed out a DANGEROUS issue last yr(cant remember what it was something recovery related).. If some pleb with NFI saw it and followed it they could have been in deep crap.
AnswerID: 25416

Sponsored Links