Wet floor

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 18:12
ThreadID: 6061 Views:3458 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
All you Patrol owners-I was cleaning out the car today and somehow discovered that the under side of the carpets and underlay was saturated beyond belief. I believe the water gained entry via the small plastic fitting that go thru' the floor and hold the plastic door sill protectors in place. They are only covered under neath by a piece of sticky tape!! Another %#$^ piece of Nissan engineering. I intend to cover these things with silicone inside and out. The car is a GU 3lt. dunno if GQ's are the same. BTW if any one has a better way of daeling with this problem then feel free.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 20:55

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 20:55
Seems like this isn't a new thing with Patrols. Water droplets running down nooks and crannies found their way to the floor of my old dear as well and over the years had left substantial rust holes. This last week I cut all the rust back(should have done so some time ago but ....) and fibreglasssed the floor and then painted it and it looks as good as new. Very soon at least 10% of my truck will be fibreglass, body filler and liquid steel:-)
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 25369

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 21:09

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 21:09
A plastic Fantastic WillemWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 17191

Reply By: Andrew - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:53

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:53
Hi Andrew...Andrew here. I also have 3.0td GU

Are you sure thats where the water got in. Could it have been somewhere else.

Was it just wet on the drivers side or all over???

Done any water crossings lately??? if not, how would the water get in as stated?

I'm confused.

Would like to know because I will clog the holes if necessary. Will be doing some watery stuff later in the year..

cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 25385

Follow Up By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:37

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:37
yes recently did the Navrun at Dargo which involved about fifty to sixty water crossings. Yes I 'm pretty sure that's where the water came from. The water was all under both sides, front and back. I'm also thinking about the rubber plugs too
FollowupID: 17220

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:16

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:16
First, check the air conditioning drain hose located on the passenger side floor/firewall area, which can be dislogded allowing condensate to drip behind the footwell carpet instead of outside the firewall. Normally this small. black tube, about 12mm dia, drips it's water onto the chassis rail about where the passengers feet rest. My GU doesn't leak a drop and has been through many floor height crossings before. The plugs you mention, don't seem to let water in, in my case.
AnswerID: 25402

Follow Up By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:39

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:39
but how does the water get under everywhere. good point though, i'll go out and check it now. thanx
FollowupID: 17221

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:35

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:35
Roly mentioned somehting about this 18mths ago, there is a plug in the floor that leaks, it was on Passangers side I think and yea could have been plastic, but wasnt water tight at all... All GU's would have them
AnswerID: 25414

Reply By: kezza - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 21:13

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 21:13
You can get the same effect from a blocked drainage hose in the bottom of yhewiper sill between the bonnet and the windscreen. The water then flows in through the air intake vents. Havnt had any floor leaks on the GU or GQ in deep water so far.

Kes
AnswerID: 25431

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:26

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:26
Thanks everyone . I'll wait for the next river crossing with trepidation (if thats what it was)
AnswerID: 25514

Reply By: Tom - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 21:39

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 21:39
Hi all,
I have a GQ and suffered the same promlem some time ago (also in the Dargo area). After removing front and rear seats, upon removing the carpet, I found a large rubber grommet in the floor under the centre console had been dislodged allowing water to enter at will. I had reasonably deep water (wheel arch flares under water) and I summised that the plug had been dislodged by the upwards pressure of the water under the transmission tunnel. I removed all of the rubber grommets and refitted them after applying liberal amomounts of silastic.
To date, I have not had any further flooding in the car.
Oh, except for that time I got stuck in a mud hole where the static level was half way up the door frame...
But then thats another story...

Tom
AnswerID: 25634

Sponsored Links