Water Crossing "OOPS"

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 22:38
ThreadID: 6067 Views:1722 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Nissan Patrol 1995 Petrol EFI 4.2litre Manual......
Recently i have found out "the hard way" that my car stalls the moment it goes through water which is higher than 3/4 way up the wheels.
On the first attempt i didnt use a water blind but had a great bow wave going in 2nd gear low range and after about four seconds in the water "bleeerrrrrrrrttt" it just died..
Snatched my way to dry land and then it just started like there was never a problem..
And the same again the second time but with a water blind........ And it starts instantly as soon as it is out of the water...

My question is ,,,, what is there at about wheel height in the drive line that hates water?????????????........_____________________________________________

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 23:27

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 23:27
The motor?
AnswerID: 25380

Reply By: Member - Rick - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:36

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:36
unless u got a snorkel...there is this little thing called an AIR INTAKE around that part of the world ...

rick
AnswerID: 25384

Reply By: tristjo - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:59

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:59
Voxon,

It is unlikely that the stalling would have been driveline related. There is really nothing that water could do to your drivetrain to make your motor stall.

In my beleif, it is also unlikely that water had made it's way into the air intake, because after water ingestion, a motor rarely starts with relative ease. If a motor has ingested enough water for it to stall, when you attempt to restart the vehicle, it will most likely take a while to fire, and when it does, it would probably run rough and missfire for a minute or so, and blow a fair ammount of steam.

In my oppinion, this problem is probably caused by water splashing up into the distributor, lead end (plug), or coil area. That would possibly explain the reason why it starts readily, as it would probably dry fairly quickly.

Hope this might give you a few ideas.

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 25386

Follow Up By: roscoe - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 01:45

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 01:45
Yeah G'day, I agree with Tristjo. My 80 series does the same sort of thing. I spray the alternator and the dist. cap and there is no problem. Mine started readily after the crossing too. Apparently newer 4wds have either better splashguards or a more integrated/sealed unit for the distributor cap.

Seeya, Roscoe.
FollowupID: 17205

Reply By: Bruce QLD - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 03:53

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 03:53
Voxson
A mate of mine has a petrol mavrick one year he was going through the car wash after we came off Fraser Island. The motor stoped whilst he was in the car wash anyhow it turned out to be a crack in the distributer cap. A bit of wd40 and gaffa tape and he was away again. So it might be worth cheking for cracks.Too many Bills = not enough 4wding
AnswerID: 25387

Reply By: tomic - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:39

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:39
G'day,
Yep if your in the water more than a few seconds it does not take long for the Exhaust to 'drown' and back pressure can stall your engine, low gear, big rev's keeping the water out is the only way.
Oh and don't stop half way over for a 'look at the veiw' it can be deadly!
Just a thought, keep on dreaming, then DO it!
AnswerID: 25395

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:10

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 15:10
Probably the distributor, it is in a vulerable posi, available to be blasted with water via the fan which directs the stream straight back at it. Momentary stall, and it's lights out! Need to waterproof sparay before entering the water, but for long term, fabricate a deflector sheild to cover the cap and lead ends.
AnswerID: 25401

Reply By: kezza - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 21:17

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 21:17
Yep some of the above - (not water intake or exhaust entry - not at 3/4 of the way up your wheel) -Try degreasing the motor as grease and dust will create a short if rubbers on plugs are old and cracked or if dizzy has a hairline crack, - when wet.

kezza
AnswerID: 25432

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 22:31

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 22:31
well ok....i should have stated in my question that i do have a snorkel...and that my foot couldnt be any more flat to the floor than it was and doing about 3500-4000rpm... also on all the other crossings the water was ½ way up the wheels but with a grille height bow wave and no problems and the exhaust was under water....
someone said about a crankshaft sensor,,, could that affect it????????

Regards..........._____________________________________________

Reply By: Matt M - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 17:47

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 17:47
Most of you EFI sensors are protected by water proof connectors, teh type you have to undo and pull apart with the rubber boot inside. But theoretically you are right. If water did ground out a crank angle sensor you would have no distributor trigger point and the car would stop instantly!
Im not sure if the nissan has a crank angle sensor, correct me if Im wrong but I thought they were still using a hall effect type distributor which incoporates crank angle triggers with the magnets inside??
Really this had nothing to do with the drivline but obviously there is something electrical at that height that is grounding out killin the ignition system instantly.

Have you looked around the block at that level at the sensors and seen if any is vulnerable to the elements. If you suspect one, it is a simple task to poor a little water over it (carefully) with the engine runing to see if it drops revs or stalls!!

Marine grease on the ends of the plug leads, the same as they do for an outboard will give it a little protection and as stated, wd40 or similar around the dissy cap!

Goodluck
Matt.
AnswerID: 25504

Sponsored Links