vehicle starting problems...

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 17:38
ThreadID: 6070 Views:1768 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I've got a basic problem that I can't figure out.

My vehicle has been sitting idle for the last month. When I attempted to start it yesterday, it made a fast "clicking" noise, when the key was turned as though the vehicle was run on an alternating current. The battery was replaced 2 months ago and I took it for a spin afterwards and it ran just fine, so this should not be the problem.

I hve checked all the fuses and battery leads, these seem to be fine. What do you think forum?

regards

Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 17:58

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 17:58
That is a flat battery. The clicking noise is the starting solenoid with low voltage. The problem could be a bad connection though I dought as the car has been sitting for a month.

Regards Big John
AnswerID: 25411

Reply By: Rossco - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:16

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:16
Hey.
I agree that yes this sounds to be a flat battery. Although not the initial broblem.
It is likely that your vehicle has a constant drain. This isn't much of a problem if only small. Only when it is left idle there is a problem, the larger the drain the shorter the period it takes to discharge the battery when not in use
AnswerID: 25412

Follow Up By: The Crow - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:49

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:49
Cold weather causes batterys to drain very quickly when they are not being used constantly and the cold can also cause batterys to drop cells. Take it out and have it checked. If it has dropped a cell you should get a new one under the warranty. Good Luck.
FollowupID: 17227

Reply By: The Crow - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:51

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 18:51
Pressed wrong button look at reply to Rossco.
AnswerID: 25417

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 20:02

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 20:02
Jazz,
As mentioned on all the other replies this has all the symptoms of a flat battery, might be as well to check for something silly like an interior light left on or something else left on. I used to have a Falcon once a long long long time ago, the boot light switch wasn't working properly and after a week the car wouldn't start, the battery was replaced twice under warranty before the auto spark found the problem, just a thought.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 25423

Reply By: Matt M - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 22:04

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 22:04
If it is a modern 4x4 there are heaps of simple current draws!! Look at all the lights in gloveboxes, ash trays, door sills! Any number of these could be on an not realising it slowly draining the battery!

A month is also a looong time for a lead acid battery to be sitting idle! From the spec on the Century website any vehicle cranking battery will lose 50% of its charge in the first week of sitting idle!

Imagine if it also has a drain!!

AnswerID: 25445

Reply By: Member - Shawn - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:50

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:50
G'Day,
Sounds like flat battery to me as well.
Some types of car security systems will drain your battery after 2-3 weeks of just sitting idle.
just a thoughtKeep your powder dry
AnswerID: 25476

Reply By: Jazz - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 13:41

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 13:41
Hi everyone,

thanks so much for all your replies. i will get onto it tonight and check it out. I really appreciate all your responses and promise to not only post my progress but also to be more attentive to my vehicle!

Geoff
AnswerID: 25481

Reply By: howesy - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 18:56

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 18:56
Read on-: Most likely battery
Having said that the most overlooked thing can be connections. Over time and with water and the like, terminals on things oxidise which causes resistance. Dont just check the battery terminals check and clean terminals on starter motor and also check and clean the connection of the earth lead where it joins to the chassis or block. Have you got an alarm on the car. Some alarms especially older or malfunctioning alarms can draw more than usual current. Even a half amp draw can flatten a battery in a similar time frame as you describe. If you are going to leave a vehicle for a month tis a good idea not to turn on an alarm. If all this has been eliminated to give you satisfaction and peace of mind, when the vehicle is running, check the battery with a multi meter to see how many volts the alternator is throwing into it. Should be 13.5 volts. If 13 or under then it is not really doing the job when you are also operating a few accessories. 12 volts and with your lights on you are actually draining the battery. Hope you may have gotten some thing out of all that dribble. See ya later
AnswerID: 25512

Sponsored Links