Bush mechanics

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 20:38
ThreadID: 6075 Views:2241 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
So you've wrecked both the spare tyres and they are unusable. You are still a way from civilisation and you cut the sidewall of another tyre on a stump jutting out of the side of the track. If you have a gater(large rubber tyre patch) you can glue that into the inside of the sidewall or you could even use duct tape or plumbers tape or something like that as a temporary measure. Duct tape will also do if you need to repair a large gash in a tube. Failing that you can stuff the tyre full of damp grass packing it in tightly, presuming there is some grass around( if in spinifex country wear gloves for this job). Slip the tyre back on the rim and drive very gently till you can reach help.

In a moment of lapse I bought a Toyota Bundera Exec with electric everything.
Unbeknownst to me the previous owner had fitted long extension shockies( I think they were OME) on the front suspension. Our first trip out bush with the 'new' vehicle was a particularly rough offroad adventure driving blind. Every time we dropped a front wheel in to depression the coil spring popped out and disappeared into the long grass. That afternoon we made camp early and set about fixing the problem.I removed the coil springs. Found a sturdy tree and put a tree protector around it. Fitted a chain with two D shackles through the strap and on to a tyre lever. Slipped the tyre lever through one side of the coil spring and made up the same contraption at the other end of the coil. Now we used the winch, stretching the coil whilst measuring it for the required length. Winch..release...winch...release..and so on. It worked that well I did not have to change the coils. Anyway the Bundera was not suited to my driving needs I had all sorts of other problems with it and very soon a new owner found it at the auctions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tristjo - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 23:58

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 23:58
G'day Willem,

Geez, mate, I love the tales you post!! Did you really do that with the coil springs??
Neat trick or what!!

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 25452

Reply By: Deano - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:37

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:37
My wife wants to swap me for Willem. She says I am useless. :)
AnswerID: 25475

Reply By: Alan H - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 13:27

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 13:27
My wife will swop me for anyone at all, please someone take her up on this offer!
I'll buy them a carton or two.
AnswerID: 25479

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 16:22

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 16:22
My wife thinks she could swap me and two of my mates for Willem.

Keep these coming Willem, I'd hate to be driving on one of them grass filled tyres, wouldnt the heat from the sidewall flexing be a fire danger?

These days you just sit with ya Engel slowly emptying, call roadside assistance on the sat phone and watch the footy on sat TV till the cavalry arrives.

Stretching a coil is always dangerous and never specific, I recall vaguely something about the composition of the steel and its "static" state, when stretched, the static state goes haywire, anyways its fraught with danger, see why I'm only worth 33% of Willem!

Cya'sSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 25498

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 17:46

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 17:46
Sorry fellas but the swap thing is out. My local government says that it has taken 34 years just to get me house-trained and that too much has been invested already!! Although a swap for a later model sounds pretty good to me................

Just to answer some questions............You're not suppose to drive fast with the grass filled tyre.............:o)

And yes, we DID actually do that to the springs out bush. Sold the vehicle with the mods unchanged a while later................

More next Sunday.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17279

Follow Up By: Janset - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:34

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:34
Hi Willem.

Keep the stories coming.

Just as a point, I have never heard of it but, if you have a split rims, do you think you could get the same effect as the grass in the tyre by substituting dry dessert sand, provided the valve stem hole is covered with tape of whatever?

Just as a point, when I was a kid, (about 300 years ago) my mother had a Humber Supper and on the suspension, to stop/reduce the body roll, there was in place (ex factory) a multi-layer canvass strap contraption between the actual rear axle and the body/chassis. Perhaps you could have tried something similar. Be interesting to se how long such a restrain would last 4WDing?

Regards
FollowupID: 17288

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 20:07

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 20:07
Hi Janset,

Dunno about sand in the tyres. Haven't heard of it. You could probably use anything if you tried. Depends on how much trouble you are in....

I've seen that canvas strap somewhere too but don't remember which vehicle it was on. They brought those kind of mechanix out in the 1950's. Don't think it would last long on a 4by though.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17296

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:57

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:57
That grass-in-the-tyre is a load of crap, tried it once, what a load of rubbish! Might work for a clapped out EH Holden that weighs in at 1200kg, but a fair dinkum 4x4 with all the clever gear, tipping scales at 3 tonne, will soon have the sides out of half-deflated tyres, let alone spinifex models!
AnswerID: 25527

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 20:15

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 20:15
Gee Steve, And you advertise your business name with comments like that. Must have a closed mind syndrome.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17297

Follow Up By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:17

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:17
Hello Willam, probably came across gruff, but I'm smiling, how about you?
FollowupID: 17333

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 18:58

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 18:58
Hello Stevie, Yeah, now that I know what you do for a living I may as well give up. :-)Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17375

Reply By: goingplatinumcomau - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 22:11

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 22:11
Wheel barrow tubes
After have a flat in my wheelbarrow and puling the wheel of and tube out and running it down to tire place to get it patched ........... and be given a price of $15 to put a patch on the tube.

Anyway i decided against that ......so put it all back together.......took the valve out ...pumped 1/2 tube silicon in .......pumped it up abit .........then put the valve back in ......then pumped it right up and put cap on .

That was 4 years ago and it hasnt lost any air rock solid .... Just a tip i thought i would pass on ......... as i also done the wheel trolly pumatic tryes.

Just a tip i thought i would pass on

Has anyone got an opinion on the F250 4 wd 7.3 diesel turbo

With thanks goingplatinumcomau
AnswerID: 25548

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 19:00

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 19:00
Funny thing...I had the same hassle with a wheel barrow wheel. Even inserted another tube and then pumped it full of that white goo. Hasn'y had a puncture in 3 years...touch wood :-)Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17376

Follow Up By: member-skippyking - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 23:19

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 23:19
goingplatinumcomau,

re F250. Plenty of fellow farmers have them round here as their boomspray pulling unit. Heaps of grunt, reasonably economical, governor tops out at 140km/h but you can get an 'upgrade' for higher speeds. Well appointed inside, spacious, really the only disadvantage is their wheel track is wider than most other 4wd's and consequently most tracks are a bit narrow, if you know what I mean.

If I remember correctly forum user "billowaggi" has one.

SK Most human problems can be solved by an appropriate charge of high
explosive."
FollowupID: 17401

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:50

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:50
Willem,

I'm enjoying your Sunday night musings...keep 'em up. I have a couple of thoughts about patching they tyre.

Ever watch the Bush Tuckerman on ABC? In one episode he plugs a hole in his jerrycan using a melted down clump of spinifex resin which now has me thinking about whether of not you could smear a thick layer of this resin over cloth of some sort to form a waterproof and perhaps airproof patch/gater which could be glued to the tyre rubber using the same hot resin. Ever since that episode I've tended to look out for spinifex resin clumps whenever I'm in spinifex country and it is surprisingly plentyful and often found in large clumps.

I guess if you're stuck, anything is worth a try. Anyone care to give my theory a try next time their out bush with time to kill!?

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 25600

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 19:03

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 19:03
Hi Melissa....Sounds like a good one. Might have a go at getting some resin out of the spinifex......still have a few rust holes in the old truck. :o)

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17377

Sponsored Links