Chescold fridge/freezers

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 16, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 608 Views:3775 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm considering a Chescold F400 Explorer fridge/freezer because of the ability to use gas. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they OK on gas? Seem to draw a lot of currnet on 12 volts.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AC - Sunday, Dec 16, 2001 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 16, 2001 at 01:00
When on gas the fridges have to remain level. On 12volt they cannot lower the fridges temp only try to maintain it. I almost bought the finch but decided on an Engel instead. Have to say its the best thing i bought.

Hope this helps
Andrew
AnswerID: 1602

Reply By: Grant - Monday, Dec 17, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 17, 2001 at 01:00
It depends on the type of camping you are going to do. If you are stopping for more than a couple of days the F400 is brilliant, uses little gas. A 9kg bottle will last up to 3 weeks. If you are stopping and starting all the time, try something else. We went for the F400 and found it fantastic for what we do.
AnswerID: 1606

Follow Up By: Tim Fitzgerald - Monday, Dec 17, 2001 at 01:00

it also depends where you go ,these units are not suited to temps above approx 30 deg ,or in direct sun position,but mine has been totally reliable,also the flame can blow out when you leave it at camp while you are away then everything thaws out, i also have bought 12 v compressor fridge fantastic runs 2/3 days on a battery
FollowupID: 510

Reply By: Alex - Monday, Dec 17, 2001 at 01:00

I took one on a trip down the Canning Stock Route. Pretty hot (35+) during the day, but as long as I switched over to gas when we stopped each arvo at around 4, it worked very well. That said, I've now got an engel, so I don't have to worry about switching it over or anything. I expect you're now totally confused, but I still use both fridges, depending on whether I'm staying in one spot for a while or continually moving. Cheers, Alex.
AnswerID: 1611

Follow Up By: Colin - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2001 at 01:00
It all depends on your usage - I have an Sadec 3 way which I have modified (see posting on this BB) but it will not get as cold as the "Engel" types - the big advantage of a 3way is when you stay in one spot for a few days - they are a lot cheaper as well! (ie 3 days at Durba, CSR.
FollowupID: 522

Reply By: Wayne Prictor - Monday, Dec 17, 2001 at 01:00

Peter checkout an Auto Fridge you wont be disapointed the are the best on the market as far as

i am concerned ,i have had
Finches Engels and autofridge they are leaps and bounds above anything out there

AnswerID: 1614

Reply By: Greg - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2001 at 01:00
Peter a 3way fridge is essential if you stop for a long time in the one spot. Mine works well providing it is not in the direct sun and has plenty of circulation. They are no good in a camper trailer in hot weather. I keep mine in the 4wd with curtains and the added advantage of the air con. It is important that a heavy wire is used direct to the fridge from the battery - this will sovle most of the cooling problems people have. They also must be level. I take it out of the car overnight or for long stops and run it on gas and it works even better. I have found two small fridges (so you are not lifting something too heavy) are better than one large one of a single type. I also have a small Waeco (had an Engel for 25 years) and use this as a freezer. Again I keep it in the car and never remove it. It runs of the 2nd battery for a couple of days and a generator (or solar) on long stops. The advantage of 2 fridges is that you have backup if one breaks down. The outside dimension of the 2 fridges is only marginally larger that a very large Chescold fridge/freezer. Whatever system you buy requires careful and constant management of how you use it so as to get maximun benefit from it.
AnswerID: 1633

Reply By: Ged Carter - Saturday, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:00
Peter, the 3-ways perform poorly above 35C (that's a lot of Oz!) I've had an Engel,an Autofridge & now have a Trailblaza. The Engel has poor insulation (hence the optional padded cover!), the Autofridge takes several hours to pull down the gel when started, the Trailblaza has 75mm insulation & as a result uses considerably less power than the Engel. They are made in Caloundra,Qld, by order only, Northgate Refrigeration. Also the most robust alum cabinet.
In the long run it's worth getting a 120W solar panel. You will have cold beer!
AnswerID: 1644

Reply By: Troy - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:00
I have had the 50L Blue Chescold fridge for around 3 years now and have taken it into the flinders Rangers and camping all the time in hot humid conditions. I do a lot of base camp camping and trek out each day so it suits me very well. I will agree with the statements that it runs heavy on 12 volts and yes it will generally only maintain the temperature and you have to be very careful with it if you dont have dual batteries, but on gas it works the best. In fact you have to be careful that you dont freeze things that you dont want frozen. I have mine on half generally to keep the freezer frozen and the fridge part a fridge. As for the flame blowing out, often I have mine sitting out in the open while I setup running on gas and it has never been a problem. My father also has the same one and they work very well.
AnswerID: 1706

Follow Up By: Craig - Thursday, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:00
Both my brother in-law and I have 50l blue Chescold's and another brother in law has an Engel. Both work very well. We have never had the gas blow out and I get about 14 days out of 4kg gas bottle. The Engel is connected in the car which means you are backwards and forwards to the car to get supplies and you need to find shade or move your car during the day to keep the temp inside the car down. On the plus side you have the fridge when you are on the move whereas we leave the Chescold's at the campsite. Another great advantage of the Chescold is that you can have seperate compartments for the fridge and freezer simultaneously wheras with the Engel you can only have one or the other. Just run them up on 240volts at home with all your supplies to make everything good and cold and then run on 12v during the trip and cut over to gas at your destination and you should have no problems.
FollowupID: 598

Sponsored Links