GQ Nissan Diesel tourbcharging

Submitted: Friday, Dec 21, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 612 Views:1745 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to know if tourbcharging my 1993 GQ will improve power and fuel consuption. What would be a good price and what type would be recomened. Thanks Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:00
I put a turbo on my L\Cruiser at 240k klms absolutely transformed the vehicle Went from 60 hp at the rear wheels to 110 on the dyno. I chose a DTS turbo with its Mitsubisi turbine for its low down power characteristics surely they are available for the Nissan too
I can now pass cars safely on the open road. TJM sell them for $2500 plus fitting $400 extra or DIYS. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 1643

Reply By: Gordon - Wednesday, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Bill, I have been there and done that. I have a 93 GQ Diesel and I am now running with a set of extractors with a 2.5" exhaust system with a K&N filter in place of the main paper filter and no pre filter.It does not blow smoke and has fairly good pick up and power as far as diesels go.
I went through the same process as you are going, I tried a Swartzer turbo,after market,up high (for water crossings) etc. What a load of bleep , it causes more problems than it is worth (under bonnet heat) it may be ok if you are driving in Vic. where the temp. is down and you may have a bit of humidity in the air but if you intend to travel where it is hot and dry, I would say on, the factory fitted ones may be ok, I have not had anything to do with them. I run mine in temps. of 25-30*(winter)35-40*(summer). If you did put one on I would recommend an intercooler,and that would mean another 2 grand,also by fitting a turbo you can expect to reduce the life of the engine by up to 20%. I have even looked at superchargers,but the same problem keeps coming back, TEMPERATURE. When you compress air, there is a lot of heat generated and that is the problem. Hope you can follow all of this and it helps you with your problem.
AnswerID: 1648

Follow Up By: Gordon - Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00
Sorry i forgot to mention that fuel comsumption did ont improve any.
FollowupID: 539

Follow Up By: Greg - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00
I have an 89 gq what brand of extractors have you got and was the exhaust mandrel bent?
Was the performance and economy appreicable???
FollowupID: 730

Follow Up By: Stowe - Sunday, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:00
Fossil you tool
FollowupID: 742

Follow Up By: Gordon - Monday, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Greg, night shift and computer problems,but I have eventually got around to it. The extractors I have fitted are MOTAVATOR MPH 598, they fitted with on problems,some brands may not fit as easily. The piping is not mandrel bent,as I already had a 2 1/2 in. system fitted ,so I stayed with that. I would recommend the mandrel pipe. The muffler is a MERCURY straight through and I have a resinator at the rear end.(A bit noisier than normal,but nothing to be worried about,I am going to fit another at the end of the extractors.
I have fitted another air cleaner adaptor (sits on top of the inlet manifold)(home made)this increased the inlet dia. from 63mm (std) to 67mm,along with the K&N filter,helps the air flow.
Tests I have done (hot,dry air):- 100km/hr steady
90mm PVC ram air tube (removed LH headlight and fitted tube into air cleaner flex piping.
Inlet manifold vacuum went from -2.8kpa (std. air cleaner setup) to -.1kpa at 1000kph.
Fuel consumption went from 24mpg to 26.5mpg.(so at least 1 1/2 to 2mpg extra).I used the same bowser, same side of bowser etc. and made sure there was no air in the tank.This may not sound much, but on a graph it is fairly drastic,in fact with the standard system the vac. is around -1.8 at 80kph to -4.5 at 130kph, where as with the ram air(snorkle) it is around -.1 at 80kph and stays about the same through to 130kph.
OK, so the extractors do not hang on (power wise) as does the turbo,but it does not cost as much and the engine will last a lot longer. When I tow my van I have to go back to 4th on some long slow hills. I have just been for a test run in a 96st 2.8td, I noticed that the pickup and top speed was approx. the same as my 4.2d with extractors and ram air. Hope you can follow this and it helps with your decision.Gordon.
FollowupID: 750

Hi Greg, night shift and computer problems,but I have eventually got around to it. The extractors I have fitted are MOTAVATOR MPH 598, they fitted with on problems,some brands may not fit as easily. The piping is not mandrel bent,as I already had a 2 1/2 in. system fitted ,so I stayed with that. I would recommend the mandrel pipe. The muffler is a MERCURY straight through and I have a resinator at the rear end.(A bit noisier than normal,but nothing to be worried about,I am going to fit another at the end of the extractors.
I have fitted another air cleaner adaptor (sits on top of the inlet manifold)(home made)this increased the inlet dia. from 63mm (std) to 67mm,along with the K&N filter,helps the air flow.
Tests I have done (hot,dry air):- 100km/hr steady
90mm PVC ram air tube (removed LH headlight and fitted tube into air cleaner flex piping.
Inlet manifold vacuum went from -2.8kpa (std. air cleaner setup) to -.1kpa at 1000kph.
Fuel consumption went from 24mpg to 26.5mpg.(so at least 1 1/2 to 2mpg extra).I used the same bowser, same side of bowser etc. and made sure there was no air in the tank.This may not sound much, but on a graph it is fairly drastic,in fact with the standard system the vac. is around -1.8 at 80kph to -4.5 at 130kph, where as with the ram air(snorkle) it is around -.1 at 80kph and stays about the same through to 130kph.
OK, so the extractors do not hang on (power wise) as does the turbo,but it does not cost as much and the engine will last a lot longer. When I tow my van I have to go back to 4th on some long slow hills. I have just been for a test run in a 96st 2.8td, I noticed that the pickup and top speed was approx. the same as my 4.2d with extractors and ram air. Hope you can follow this and it helps with your decision.Gordon.
FollowupID: 751

Reply By: Glen - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2002 at 01:00
Bill one question to be asked is how long do you intend to keep the car. Turboing is a large expense if you don't intend to keep the car for a period of time. I own a 97/98 GQ the lat model before the GU. i have fitted a Swartzer turbo with the supplied exhust system.This for me was the best value but i saved by fitting it myself.
Power and torque increased remarkedly and after a few other twigs i run at about 150kw.Fuel consumption has not increased unless i drive the vehicle harder using the more power.In fact after towing my camper trailer across the Simpson and to the rock fuel usage was better than the time before with no turbo. The extra power allows for the use of higher gears.Under bonnett temps do increase but with a well maintained cooling system i have had no problems with over heating dispite running in extreams of temps.
Prices can be upwards of $5000 for some systems so the life of the car is important.The cheaper way is to add a bigger system and extracters /better air flow and maybe different injectors. good luck.glen
AnswerID: 1668

Hi Glen, I noticed in your reply to Bill that you run your Patrol at about 150kw(Flywheel?) I fitted the same turbo etc. to my 93 st and it was tuned to approx. 100-110 kw. (7 3/4 psi). (I have extractors now).I was wondering how you could get 150kw (approx. 75% increase from standard) without doing some sort of damage to the engine, over the long term. Puzzled Gordon.
FollowupID: 752

Reply By: Rob - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:00
Bill

We bought ours with a Safari Turbo & Intercooler already fitted. A lot of piping under the bonnet and certainly made fitting the second battery a challenge. Love the power and torque. When in boost it feels like it would drive up a cliff face. The temperature is certainly something to watch as well, when loaded up and towing up hill on a hot day it can send the needle straight up to hot so watch that. Recovers very quickly as soon as the load is off the motor. Because of the greater power and higher temps we are very conscious of using good quality oil and change every 5000 kms. Once you have poured that much money into it you want to look after it. Also, a friend turbo'd their 4.2 diesel Patrol with a Mitsubishi brand turbo and they are more than happy with that as well.
Rob
AnswerID: 1702

Sponsored Links