What are folks putting in their fridges???

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 13:30
ThreadID: 6127 Views:2917 Replies:20 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
Everytime the fridge question comes up, there's always a variety of responses but what strikes me is the increasing number of people with 80+L fridges which let's face it are bloody big units to carry around. Also, frequently hear people say they take two fridges.

We've had a 39L Engel for years now (2 adults, 1 child) and never want for more space. Nor do we need a freezer. We always have plenty of cold drinks...So I'm wondering what we do different to others. Or is simply the case that portable fridges have become so commonplace these days that people don't know how/need/want to rationalise what they take and simply transfer the contents of their home fridge to their portable fridges...

:o) Melissa

Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jack - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 13:54

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 13:54
Hi Melissa:
I have a 49l Engel 12/24v ... use it to carry perishables (milk, eggs, cheese, water), and some fruit and/or salad things in the basket. I have a couple of 10 litre "water bladders" (like wine cask bladders) scavenged from when I had to buy water at Innaminka which usually start out frozen, and go into the bottom of the fridge ... and they usually stay frozen until I need them.

I will normally either turn the fridge off of an evening, or turn it right down unless conditions are quite hot.

Depending on the trip, length of stay etc, I keep beer and drinks in (1) an old Esky, (2) an Evakool type cooler and either use block ice in that or the two frozen water bladders. The Evakool gives me 5 - 8 days or more before they melt down.
There are times when I just rely on the EvaKool alone if it is a short trip. Day trips just see the Esky getting out for a while.

Jack
AnswerID: 25689

Reply By: Time - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 14:01

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 14:01
Melissa,

We have a 50 l for two adults. Carry drinks (beer and softies) plus all our meals. For a weekend away we will cook up meals and store in airtight containers for reheating for lunches, as well as meat for dinner and sausages and eggs for breakfast. Morning and afternoon T and nibbles generally fill the fridge. But I must admit that more than 1/2 the fridge is taken up by the drinks.

For longer trecks cryovac meat and drinks for the day go in the fridge, lots of packet and canned stuff stored outside the fridge.

So for 2 adults the 50 l is adequate, I never run out of cold beer!

Cheers

Buggerlux
AnswerID: 25691

Reply By: Lyds - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 14:47

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 14:47
I have a 39L ARB (aka engel).

We pack:

1 fridge basket for butter, cheese (slices), small jar pickles, etc
under that we put:
4 cans soft drink
4 cans beer
3 tupperware containers for either cryovac meat packs (500-600gms), meal leftovers, etc

then we have:

a 2l water container
2 1l milk (1 light, 1 full)
small squeeze bottle mayonaise
a 1l or 2l bottle of OJ
2l wine bladder (yalumba - strong bags) - stays on top.
1 packet choc biscuits (timtams, monte's etc)
packaged cold meats (usually HAN as they have cryovac tight packaging)

and all that pretty much fills it up. I keep the temperature at just above "1" and that cools it nicely.Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 25693

Follow Up By: Lyds - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:49

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:49
BTW, this is for 2 adults & 2 kidsCheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
FollowupID: 17475

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:34

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:34
Lyds,

Sounds like you do things pretty much the same way as us. We have a rule that if you take a cold drink out of the fridge, you replace it with a hot drink. That way we never run out of cold drinks. BTW, try the Banrock Station 2L casks of wine...very nice!!!

Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
FollowupID: 17499

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 15:20

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 15:20
Hi all.
You guys all seem to live like kings when in the bush. We (2 of us) don't use a fridge at all., just an esky on short trips and long trips( 6 week CSR & Gibb River last year) we make do with no perishables, use tins & pkts and long life milk. Spuds and most fruit will keep for ages if stored well done amongst the gear out of the sunlight.

Much less stress as no need to worry about flat batteries etc.

Love the bush and the simple life

Bush Bappo's 4WD Club
Get out there & have a look
AnswerID: 25696

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:40

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:40
Bigbear,

You're right about storing most fruit & veg out of the fridge and out of direct sunlight. We NEVER have F&V in our fridge, there is simply no need if you carefully select what you take and how you store it. Can keep some varieties for many weeks. Even cut sweet potato and pumkin can be stored outside the fridge if you sprinkle the cut edge with a generous amount of pepper. Next time you use it, simply cut the peppered surface off and its as good as new. Older generations well remember methods like this. It's us younger folk that have grown up with fridges as a standard household item that insist on refrigerating everything.

:o) Melissa Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
FollowupID: 17500

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:08

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:08
Just a hint for those who dont know if you inflate a couple of wine cask bladders with air and put them in the fridge to fill up the empty space this will stop things bouncing around or rubbing holes in them selvesBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 25704

Follow Up By: F.M. - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:27

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:27
Thanks peter.
We just got back from a three week outback trip and inside the fridge copped a caning.I was trying to figure out how to make up a protector basket without hampering air circulation.Your theory sounds good.I'll give it a go next time.Only thing is I'll have to empty a couple of wine casks.Bummer.Lifes tough sometimes.
Cheers
Mick.
FollowupID: 17469

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:27

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:27
A good idea, but I don't understand why you fill them with air instead of wine????
FollowupID: 17470

Follow Up By: Glenno - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 22:14

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 22:14
I put a rubber band around each can of beer and softdrink. This stops the cans rubbing together and spilling. Works a treat, especially after a day of driving over corrugations since sun-up.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 17621

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:39

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:39
" Or is simply the case that portable fridges have become so commonplace these days that people don't know how/need/want to rationalise what they take and simply transfer the contents of their home fridge to their portable fridges"

I think this is it!
AnswerID: 25707

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 12:33

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 12:33
And why not? May as well be comfy
FollowupID: 17581

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:59

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:59
Melissa
We have done it all sorts of ways with eskys and gas fridges etc, dried food, bean sprouts and all that and they all work depending on whether you like Fords or Holdens (if you know what I mean).
We have gone to an evakool RF47L dual temperature 12V fridge and have found it fantastic. I know some others question the need for the freezer section but we found that, on a recent 2 week stint in the desert etc, that the freezer section kept all the frozen meals my mother-in-law made for us solid until we needed them (God bless M in L). Yes she really did make us those meals!!! We even decided to take those packets of frozen fresh vegies this time. You can be extravagant with a fridge if you want.
As others have said, cryovac meat is great and it lets you enjoy steak, chicken, and even full roasts out back-of-beyond (We met a couple of young guys who made full roast beef and roast lamb meals, with all the roast vegies, in their camp oven beside the Birdsville track). The meat sits in the fridge with the milk butter, drinks, bacon, salad ........... etc. or you can keep it frozen if you are able.
Anyway, the divider in our fridge can be removed and it can be all fridge if that's what we need.
And yes .... it's nice to live like kings, it makes camping even better.

Enjoy your fridge

Oskar
AnswerID: 25708

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 17:09

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 17:09
Melissa
Sorry for rabbiting on, I didn't read your post carefully enough.
Just do what you wanna!
FollowupID: 17439

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:47

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:47
Oskar,

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't having a go at those who have combination fridge freezers and/or large capacity fridges. Horses for courses...It's just that on our last trip I met several travellers who had total fridge capacities of 150L+, some had two fridges and were constantly concerned about power consumption etc. None of them were going to be more than a few days between towns and the chance to re-stock so it struck me as a bit extravagant.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
FollowupID: 17502

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 13:24

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 13:24
Melissa
Know what you mean about some people having excess refrigeration capacity - met up with a bloke at Elliot Falls one year who, in addition to his 39ltr engel also had a 16 cubic foot (yes cubic foot) chest freezer in the back of his tojo ute. Also had a honda generator to power the thing up as well. You've really gotta feel for fishermen!
FollowupID: 17511

Reply By: rojac - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 17:04

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 17:04
I too dont have a fridge, cant justify the expense, and when we're away, its canned food,beer,just add water meals,beer and what ever you may get along the way and beer.

Changing your diet for a short period of time isn,t going to hurt you.

Cheers

Rob
AnswerID: 25709

Follow Up By: wazza - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 09:29

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 09:29
You call that a changed diet?? That's normal!
FollowupID: 17495

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 17:37

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 17:37
Hey! my icecream (cant have fruit cake without it) will melt if I didnt take the fridge/freezer and then theres the crayfish which must be kept frozen till we have eaten it all! [tease! tease!] We also keep our meat red and white meats frozen. (Must give cryovac a try once...it may save taking the esky......nah that wont work still need the freezer for the cray and icecream)

We use fresh vegies and and keep packet/can stuff till last. The freezer also makes ice which goes in the esky for the refreshments and butter uhf milk when opened. The ice is stored in plastic milk containers.

It aso keeps a couple of bread frozen till we need it.Wow! am I cute
Richard
AnswerID: 25711

Follow Up By: Jack - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:02
Hi Richard:

Ice cream is a definite must. I have a mate I go camping with who always carries ... (wait for it) ... A WOK !!!!!! Seems he cant live without his stir-fry. It's got nothing to do with the topic ... just one of life's little luxuries.

Jack
FollowupID: 17467

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 07:36

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 07:36
Jack,
My mate (the cray fisherman) does most of our cooking and all he uses is a wok.....make great parsnip chips (together with with normal thai and chinese of course). Always thought parsnip was yuk until i tasted them this way....a real nutty flavour in a chip?Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 17488

Reply By: Troopie - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 17:58

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 17:58
We (adult couple) only use a single 39 litre engel also. We have used it for nearly five years now and have never found it wanting. On long trips (> long weekend) we run it as a freezer. As much meat as possible is bought before the trip and frozen in tuppaware containers. Most other things we use happily survive the frozen temps while travelling.

Margarine is still speadable, as are most Jams. We use 1 litre containers of long-life milk (with the screw lids) - these end up frozen during the day, we get them out and allow to defrost overnight, or longer in cold climes, use them for breaky then back in the fridge. 1 litre only lasts us about two breakfasts so there is no problem with the multiple freezing. Lunch sandwitch meat is packed seperately and taken out of the fridge at breakfast time, dinner meat is taken out at lunch time.

The only thing remaining is the cold drinks, on travelling days we cycle these through. Lunch drinks go in at breakfast, evening drinks go in at lunch time. We have found that our Engel set to freeze chills drinks just nicely in the few hours between meals. This system means we don't have to worry about an esky and only requires one to remember to get the meat drinks out etc - but once you are in the habit...

We have tried cryovac, but prefer simply freezing normal meat - requires less organisation on our part.

Cheers
AnswerID: 25712

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 18:13

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 18:13
My wife & I manage to fill a 60 Litre Engel on most trips with an 85 litre esky full of drinks.
Am sure we could manage with a 40 Litre fridge but it's nice to take emergency rations with the additional room available. Have been stranded for days at a washed out section of road before and additional food helped out greatly I can assure you.
We all live in hugely differing areas of this vast country, so horses for courses (3 of for me) Is fair enough I reckon !so many places, so little time !!!
AnswerID: 25713

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 18:32

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 18:32
Hi Melissa,

We(2 adults) started our long treks in the mid 80's in a Suzuki and bought a 15 litre Engel. Last year we upgraded to a new 32litre Engel and pack food as follows:

7 meals of meat prepared and prefrozen,
Yogurt,
Butter,
Cheese,
Cream,
Dips,
Eggs,
Bacon,
1 litre Tupperware container for Powdered Milk
2 litre water,
1 small bottle of Cordial which we top up from a larger bottle packed elsewhere.

We carry lots of fresh fruit and vegies properly wrapped, pasta, dried biscuits, flour, condiments, herbs and spices, and one bread to start the trip( we bake bread or damper as we go along). We do not carry any tinned food with the exception of tomatoes.

No beer is taken but copious amounts of Muscat/Port are hidden in the vehicle for medicinal purposes only :o)

As we try and get away as often as possible we have our tucker pretty well sussed and it does not take long to get ready for a trip. All other gear is permanently packed as our 4by is for camping only. No food is packed into the trailer.

AnswerID: 25714

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 18:42

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 18:42
I wonder what happened to my rig pic. Maybe it is out of date :-)))
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17449

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:12

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:12
Dare I ask what medical condition benefits from Port or Muscat...apart from cheese and dips :)

sounds very civilised....

Lyn1927 Oldsmobile Tourer

Corrugations...what are they?
FollowupID: 17451

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:38

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:38
Ahhhh.........Winter chills, Summer chills, Suburban madness, Country madness, Feral neighbours, TV stress, Recliner stress and a host of ailments including the constant worry of being unable to afford the next 4x4 are cured by copious amounts of Muscat (or Port if Muscat is not available) :-)Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17455

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:42

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:42
You'll be right with us then Willem, we've got heaps of both...though..you might have to prise the Muscat from my fingertips....:)

FollowupID: 17456

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 16:21

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 16:21
Lyn...I have a 101 medical conditions that would benefit from a botle or two of port.
1. stress caused by my wife
2. More stress form my wife
3. Undue stress from guess who
4 etc etc
lol lolWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 17516

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 16:43

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 16:43
Richard,

Surely you're wife does not cause THAT much stress...., and evenso, you do have the icecream, always a great stress breaker...

Lyn 1927 Oldsmobile Tourer

FollowupID: 17521

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:24

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:24
You dont know my wife Lynn..........do you?
Geez I hope notWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 17531

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:49

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:49
Richard,

I'm sure she is a wonderful woman.

FollowupID: 17535

Reply By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:10

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 19:10
Melissa,
I seem to be one of the few who have a bigger fridge - a 60 litre Explorer fridge freezer on the drawbar of the trailer. I used to have a 39 litre Engel, but sold it when we bought the Aussie Swag with the fridge on it. This fridge is about one third freezer (with its own alloy lid under the main lid) and two thirds fridge. Stuff that can be frozen goes in the freezer - meat, frozen veges, icecream if there's room (!! you all say), and we use the freezer to re-freeze the cooler brick for the cooler bag that is inside the car for drinks during the day etc. The fridge has the usual stuff in it - drinks, salad, milk, cheese, yoghurt etc.
I really think that fridges are no different to anything else where human nature is involved. If you've got time to get a project done, we often use it. If you've got a big house you tend to fill it. If you've got lots of room in your 4wd, then the tendency is to take stuff 'cos you can. If you have a big fridge, you don't need an esky, and you can have more drinks in it, more meat etc, don't have to stock up as often. If you haven't got a big fridge, you find a way to achieve your desired outcome without it. That's my theory anyhow...Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 25715

Reply By: Member - Donald L- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 20:49
Melissa,
May I put my 2 cents in.
Apart from taking a bit of luxury with you into the bush, you have to rationalize what food types you want to take and this depends on where you are going. If you are going wilderness for a couple of weeks your approach would be different to say 2 or 3 days away from civilization. If you are on a trip & you can pick up fresh meat, milk & perishables every day than it's a different story again. Depends on the budget, you may be buying bulk to get a discount but it may be silly if you can top up every day on a trip.
Apart from 4WD trips & camping we use the fridge for picnics, and getting the frozen groceries & dairy products home in the summer months. Also the portable is good for party's etc.
To comment on having a big fridge. Nothing is free, it takes more energy to pump the heat out of a large fridge, this may be minimised if the fridge is always full but this means you have to keep topping it up. If not full you have to chock items inside as they move around a bit also.
Sounds like some like their cake & eat it too.
A good suggestion is to PLAN ahead, stike an agreeable menu suitable for where you are going & work out how to support the menu with food stocks. You can't keep meat fresh forever if it is not frozen so unless there is a dedicated freezer, a compromise with the menu has to be achieved.
With a caravan it is a different story again. If we are outback with no power we use the Gas, on the road we use the 12V for the van fridge & we have the 40LT compressor unit in the 4WD set to freeze with meat etc in it (plus some beers of course)
Interesting topic
cheersGet out there and use it.
Life is too short not to.
All the best...
Donald
AnswerID: 25726

Reply By: F.M. - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:38

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:38
Gday Melissa.
Its been prety well covered here.We pair have a 40L engel and can provision for ourselves with perrishables for 3 wks no prob.One thing i always do though is get all meat and chook cryovaced.No need to run on freeze means HEAPS less load on aux bat.Drinks are always a prob at first,but i always restock each night and as the trip goes on i get more to drink!
Cheers
Mick
AnswerID: 25731

Reply By: Member - Richard- Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:54

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 21:54
Thanks Melissa for asking the question. The replies are informative. We are novices and on our first 7 day trip with a 40 lt engel managed to freeze and ruin all the salad things. It appears one has to practice to get it right and not just set and forget. There were 2 of us and we ended up taking stuff home at the end of a seven day trip and we started out with the fridge only half full anyway. We did not have any tins of food but did have some dried food like peas, mashed potato. The mashed potato, which was a no brand one was disgusting. Luckinly we still took fresh spuds with us. What I have found is that cryovac food saves a lot of space. It appears from your answers a number of people also do this. We bought a Danoz cryovac machine and use it home regularly. We were eating meat that had been cryovaced for the trip a month later and it was still good. We intend taking a big trip and the machine will go with us. I plan we will be able to buy fresh and cryovac on route if we occasionally stay at caravan parks.
CheersRichard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
AnswerID: 25734

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:15

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:15
Hi Richard,

Glad you found the post informative. From my point of view it was curiousity only as we've had a very successful system going for years now and I can't see it changing much.

We don't keep any fruit or veg in the fridge at all unless we have a cut tomato, capsicum, carrot or onion. In these cases I plan our meals so that they are used the very next day. Best way to store F&V outside the fridge is to select carefully at different stages of ripeness and store in a breathable box out of direct sunlight. We simply use a cardboard box with a towel laid over the top and newspaper between layers. Things like tomatoes, banana's, capsicum, carrot etc will also benefit from being individually wrapped in newspaper. With a experience, you'll soon figure out what types of F&V keep longer and are best suited for camping trips. Spouts (even ready bought packets from the supermarket) will keep for weeks outside the fridge but store out of direct sunlight where the air can circulate around them. We've found sprouts are an excellent alternative to lettuce which we never take on trips...too bulky to keep in fridge and I haven't found a satisfactory way to keep it outside the fridge except down south in winter and who wants salads in winter anyway!?

IMO Cryovac meat is definitely the way to go. Apart from keeping for long periods of time, it stops blood and meat juices contaminating other items in the fridge. Prepackaged cryovac deli meats are also excellent.

We also use a combination of dried, tinned and long life products. Deb mashed potato is pretty good. Rice, pasta, dried herbs, flour, breadmix always included too. Tuna and salmon are good also and we usually toss in a couple of tins of spam for emergency rations.

It's not a matter of compromising your diet. My hubby always says we eat better in the bush than at home!

Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
FollowupID: 17503

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 17:51

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 17:51
Thanks for the tips. Can I ask you one other thing. Do you freeze your meat and if so do you freeze it before cryovacing or after.

RichardRichard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 17736

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:56

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:56
Hi Richard,

Generally I don't freeze our meat unless we are only away for a few nights in which case I don't bother with cryovacing. I just transfer meat straight out of the freezer at home. Since the Engel is either a fridge or a freezer and on trips we run it as a fridge, I don't see the benefit in freezing cryovacked meat as it will defrost inside a few days anyway.

Cryovacked red meat with last for many weeks. White meats like chicken and pork not as long so I generally use these first up in the first 10 days. Also, be aware that meat bones such as in lamb chops and T-bones can puncture the packaging so I keep these to a minimum and use in the early stages of a trip even though I have a good butcher who takes extra care when cryovacing these.

FollowupID: 17927

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:59

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003 at 22:59
Ah Melissa
Its really simple - One needs at least a 40 Lit engle to keep the luxuries frozen and to chill the beer in 1 1/2 hours - everything else is in the compact esky and you have 3-4 1.5 lit bottles frozen to provide the daily ice for the esky. You get to a stage in life when Its just nice to have what you want when you want it. I used to be very mercinary about travelling light - but when travelling with partner/spouse etc Its just so romantic to be able to stop at those magic times and have the right booze and the nice cheese and biccies or whatever - why else go bush if you cant make the magic happen when its appropriate??

catch you later

Kezza
AnswerID: 25741

Follow Up By: Gordon - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:22

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:22
Kezza
We use a similar system.
Eqipment: 40 L Engel (as freezer), 40 L Eskie & 4 large freezer blocks.
Method: 2 blocks in eskie and 2 blocks re-freezing swap daily.
Routine as follows:
1. Mornings - Open freezer, swap blocks and remove meat to thaw.
2. 3.00 PM - Put warm drinks in freezer.
3. 4.30 - 6.30 PM - Remove chilled drinks.
With this system we can take meals for 2 people for at least a month - possibly longer.
Gordon
FollowupID: 17509

Reply By: roscoe - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 01:20

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 01:20
Gday, I have one of those gigantic, enormous fridges, ie a Waeco 80L fridge/freezer. I take ice cream, ice blocks (for the little 'un) and frozen vegies in the freezer. In the fridge is beer, cheese, dip, pate, butter, fresh milk, baby foods/formulas, poppers, soft drinks and jelly. I know it may seem a lot, but travelling with little kids means they must enjoy it for us to enjoy it. Nothing worse than a whinging kid on what should be a fun weekend or trip.

Seeya, Roscoe.
AnswerID: 25748

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:20

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:20
Thanks for your replies everyone. My post was based on curiousity really as we've had a good system going now for a long time and I don't really see it changing much. Nevertheless, the responses turned up a few good idea's which some forum users may benefit from. One point everyone agrees on is cold drinks...gotta have 'em!!!

AnswerID: 25770

Reply By: jules - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:30

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:30
my goodness - what a can of worms that opened up!
it all boils down to - each to his own - doesn't it?
AnswerID: 25777

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 20:42

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 20:42
If there are worms in it then the fridge can't be working :o)Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17543

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)