ECU resetting

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 01:40
ThreadID: 6143 Views:2032 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have read a bit about this practice and like most things you get conflicting views as to whether it improves your engines performance/economy etc, especially after installing a new airfilter, snorkel or other engine mod.

Has anyone reset their ECU and discovered a difference or is just another bit of fiction/witchcraft??

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 08:54

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 08:54
Toyotas reset themselves every time the motor is started cold. They reset back to their original graph, so if you got some bad fuel and the ignition had to retard itself due to knocking today, it will not remember that setting once started cold again tomorrow.
If the computer is reset, it will run rough for a small amount of time and once more revert back to baseline. Cant say about other brands.
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 25755

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:01

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:01
gday powelly.
do you mean reset your your computer with something like a d-tronics or something.
ive never heard bad things about them.new job coming so no fraser this time:-((
AnswerID: 25818

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 01:30

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 01:30
Subaru has 2 plugs under the dash which you connect, then drive the car a few Ks then disconnect. There is a sequence to follow ! The other method is to disconnect the battery for 30 mins.
I have tried both without any obvious improvement. The only improvement to performance I have made is by replacing standard spark plugs with Platinum ones $25 each "ouch", but they made it run better and idle smoother.Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 25962

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:47

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:47
Platinum plugs are the only way to go remember you should get from 60-100,000 klm easy out of a set of them so they are really good value! The brothers 3lt 7mgt Cressida has a set of NGK platinum plug in it that have done 120,000 klm so far! worked out cheap as he hasnt had to put new plugs in it for four years!

As for re-seting ECU's .... most engine computers tune as they go so really a waste of time & effort. If you ever want to make your truck go better, remove some of the gear you carry! it's ammazing what carrying less weight can do for performance!

Colins go the right Idea in some ways travel light & pack tight!
FollowupID: 17650

Reply By: Birdie - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:55

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:55
Has anyone experienced an ECU problem (Nissan GU 4500) where the NATS light on the dash glows continuously while driving. Usually flashes when car is parked.
I have other owners who have this problem but it seems that the fault code is not recognised by Nissan
AnswerID: 26237

Sponsored Links