Removable or Fitted Water Tanks

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 615 Views:6203 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am soon to do a desert trek, Darwin to Perth. I have a 25 litre plastic Kmart (green) jerry can. Can anyone give me any advice on whether I should get more of these or should I have a tank fitted to my vehicle. I have a 100 series Landcruiser TD. What material is the best and where should it be fitted on the vehicle? Does anyone have any experience with the 55 litre (orange) across the floor removable water bladder? There was something in the recent 4X4 Australia magazine but it didn't really commit to an opinion about which one is better. I look forward to any suggestions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graham - Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00
James,
I have a 65 litre Stainless tank fitted under my Hilux complete with a 12v inline pump and find it great. Less space taken up in the vehicle and the convenience of the pump makes for easy use. I still carry a 10 litre jerry of water for emergencies in case the tank is damaged. All round the tank is far superior than carrying multiple jerries, not to mention the ease of having to flick a switch to get your water.
AnswerID: 1649

Reply By: Peter Moore - Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00

James
I have been using the orange plastic bladder(available from Opposite Lock stores). It is a great idea fits on the floor behind the seat so keeps the wieght down low. Only costs a fraction of the price of a stailess steel tank and can be removed when not required. We have used it for several trips to the Pilbara and also around the southwest in WA. I reckon it is a great idea and not too expensive. By the way I am not trying to sell just giving me opinion. Hope this helps some,
Peter
AnswerID: 1650

Follow Up By: James - Friday, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:00
Have you had rear seat passengers on your trips? I understand it is not a major problem for them to put their feet on it. Do you put the floor mats on top of it for protection? What sort of 4WD have you used them in?
FollowupID: 540

Follow Up By: Peter Moore - Friday, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:00

I have a GQ patrol lwb. Good idea to put mats under and over the water bladder just to be on the safe side. Kids etc can still use the back seat with no problems or we store soft items like sleeping bags and blowup mattresses on top as this also insulates and keeps the water cooler.
FollowupID: 542

Reply By: Lizard - Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00

I have used multiple plastic Jerry cans , and have them satisfactory , never had a leak , done several trips (Canning , Gunbarrel,Tanami,Kakadu etc) ..... three positives :-
1)Cheap .
2)If one leaks , just throw it in the next town tip (always have more than one on board)
3)If you camp near water you can easily walk down & refill ...
AnswerID: 1652

Follow Up By: James - Friday, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:00

What sort of vehicle do you use? Where exactly do you prefer to place these containers? Do you stand them up or lie them on their side? How many do you carry for a trip like the Gunbarrel? Thanks for the reply.
FollowupID: 541

Follow Up By: Lizard - Saturday, Jan 05, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 05, 2002 at 01:00
My vehicle for the Canning - Gunbarrel - Tanami was a 1985 Pajero .. had four*20 litre water Jerries , 11*20 litre petrol , Engel , parts , food , beer , three spare wheels , 2 swags , spare leaf spring pack etc .... poor girl was loaded , and didn't have any problems (just two blow outs - damned Goodyear Wranglers ). I then got a G.Q Patrol & did Wharburton rd (twice) Kakadu (don't) , Mithchell Plateau . Very good vehicle . Then the missus wanted an auto - so went up to a G.U ST petrol .... have done two runs up to Gascoyne (Mt Augustus etc) and Landor races , have yet to be disappointed with this car - very good for towing the Cavalier off roader - especially when you have to get past road-trains .....bit of extra grunt over the diesel (pay a bit more at the bowser - incidentally I don't know where all the 4*4 mags get their fuel economy from - we get 17 l/100 km towing the camper on our trips - quite good at touring , but I guess would drink a lot more if working it hard off road ) .
FollowupID: 553

Reply By: Colin - Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00

Hmmm! a combination of all 3 (above) would be great. The bladder sounds good, must look into these, as space is at a premium in my "L" Subaru. I use plastic jerry cans (2 x 20 Lt for a trip down the CSR)as they are portable and 99% of the time the water source is not close to your vehicle. A small "tank" made from white plastic pipe, fitted inside the bumper is handy for washing ! (they have a 'taste')
PS. the Govt Org I worked for had their Troopies fitted with 100 Lt aluminium tanks - mind you the standard suspension lasted about 5 000 kms.
AnswerID: 1653

Reply By: Bill & Doreen King - Friday, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:00

Deer James
We have done the canning and all the Len Beadell tracks including the Simpson french line, and only use 20 litre water cans ex army. We take 5 and place them upright behimd the back seat.
We drive Nissan Patrols GQ Diesel with only two of us, all camping gear and extra diesel also in steel and plastic 20 lt. They are easy to handle by the misses and you know how much is used at all time, so rations if needed to be introduced can be. Regards Bill
AnswerID: 1657

Follow Up By: James - Saturday, Jan 05, 2002 at 01:00

Bill and Doreen, If you own a fridge, where do you put it? Regards, James
FollowupID: 549

Reply By: Bill & Doreen king - Saturday, Jan 05, 2002 at 01:00

Dear James. We do have a fridge and as there is only two of us we place it on the back seat( having it down)in this position it is easy to remove and can be used to get cold drinks out on the move. There is an artical in No36 4WD monthly about fuel cans where they can legally carried good reading page 83. Have a great time our email bush@hotkey.net.au

AnswerID: 1682

Reply By: Keith McLeod - Sunday, Jan 06, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 06, 2002 at 01:00
You may like to check out the range of flexible storage tanks made by Float Pac Pty Ltd 1 300 306 000 www.floatpac.com. These tanks were displayed at the last 4x4 show in Melbourne. They make a number of standard tanks including one that fits in the rear quarter panel of the Patrol & LC. I was impressed but I have not used them nor have I seen any reports from people who have used them in real 4x4 conditions.
AnswerID: 1686

Reply By: tim - Monday, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:00
have installed plastic tank from victoria/water almost un drinkable due to exyreeme plastic taste/have tried vanilla essencs and chlorine compounds/no noticable improvement/if you buy bladder from this company insist on clause in sales document re taste. this item is not cheap at around $200
AnswerID: 1696

Reply By: Gary Wright - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:00
James, My wife, 5 year old daughter and self have just completed a 22000 km trek through Simpson, Gibson, WA and
NT in a 1993 pajero. We have a 65 litre bladder from Opposite Lock and found it great.

On the back floor we had camera gear, laptop computer and kids toys stored on it. I added an
extension pipe of clear plastic tubing with a plastic jerry can tap. We had no problems with water at
all. Also eliminated need for jerry cans which was great as we were loaded right up.

Have a great trip

Gary W.
AnswerID: 1759

Sponsored Links